Home – New Forums Starting your journey My business is new and i am sure i did not enquire about this???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,
    I am not sure if i have this in the right section but as everyone knows i have recently started my business Leads To Retail. I just got this email a few minutes ago and i am sure i did not sign up for any such account. Has anyone else received one of these??
    Do you think it is a scam or is it real??? I have had a quick look on the website, but i did not click any links in the email just in case. Is this legal for a company
    (if they are indeed real) to set up an account for a business without them knowing about it?? I have copied and pasted the email below –

Hi Kim Town!
    We’ve gone ahead and setup a fully functional version of xxxx for you. You are now just a few steps away from automating your online retail business.
    Below are your login details.

Control Panel URL: xxxxxxxxx
    Username: xxxxxxx ( i put xx in there but there is an actual password on email)
    Password: xxxxxxx
    You can access your account through the below secure URL:
    https xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For your security each trial account has a unique database and URL so it’s a great idea to bookmark the login page and keep these details safe.

Your xxxx Web Shop:

All xxxx accounts include a pre-installed web shop, mobile shop and Facebook shop. You can access your web shop at the below URL. You can edit the design of your web shop via your control panel.

Webshop URL: leadstoretail.xxxx.com.au ( i changed this so it is not a hyperlink in case someone clicks on it)

Join Us For Free Training Sessions

We understand that there is a lot to take in with a new software solution, therefore we have organised daily training sessions for you. Please click here to join us for these free sessions.

After Your Trial Ends

After your trial ends you will have the opportunity to sign-up to one of our monthly plans. Any data you have entered into your trial account can be migrated to your live account at this time.

Enjoy!
    The xxxx Team

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Give them a call. Neto are a very real company based in Australia and are one of the bigger Australia shopping cart providers.

Maybe you accidentally opted in to them by clicking on a facebook ad or something? I’m not sure what they’re current marketing is but I very much doubt they would sign you up for something that you didn’t request.

Anonymous
    Up

Yes well i don’t remember doing that but i have been known to be wrong, but not very often LOL.

I will give them a call tomorrow and follow up on it. I am positive i did not opt in for anything, as i have never actually heard of them before this, strange.

I will let you all know how i get on with it. Thanks for your reply Hatching_It.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

re For your security each trial account has a unique database and URL

Personally, it looks to me like they have set up a trial without your permission, hoping you will take advantage of it. Good idea to investigate.

Something also to remember … I have received a number of ‘scam’ invoices by email, fax and snail mail, asking me to confirm my business details. Then if you read the small print, they say you opt in to paying them a regular fee or a large fee. There’s even an imitation Yellow Pages scam as well.

Do not answer any of those invoices otherwise they automatically can opt you into something.

Anonymous
    Up

Thanks KarenC,

Thanks for your info, i am sure going to make a phone call tomorrow. I would really like to know my rights first before i ring them (if it is legit as such and they have gone ahead without my authority) as to what i can do about it?? Fair Trading would be a good start one would think.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

My money is on scam.

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

I’d be giving Neto a call to be 100% sure if it’s a scam or them being sneaky. Either way, not sounding good.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

if it IS neto, it’s possible they are pulling your data from the ABR New business register.
    I know of at least one company that provides this sort of thing as a service – every week they give you an excel list of all the new businesses that have been registered in your particular area. they only give postal addresses though, not email or telephone.

Anonymous
    Up

Mmmm very interesting. It was a legit account set up as such, well as far as Neto was concerned but someone had set it up, not me of course. After some further investigation they tracked down an ISP number of where it was set up, which of course is not mine and it is registered to a Chinese Company, in China. So there you go. They cancelled the account for me, so at least that is good. BUT

Can someone fill me in, i must be a little naive, on why/how a hacker or the like would do this using my details as all the correspondence actually came to me. What benefit is that to them??
    Or do you think they have also hacked my emails to receive them as well as me. What else should i be doing about this???
    Please help, i am concerned and confused all at the same time.

I did actually get an email a few weeks ago, i never opened it or clicked on anything, that asked me to confirm that i was the owner of Leads To Retail as someone in China wanted to start a business under that name, i thought it was just spam email and i deleted it, but maybe it had something to do with this?????

Kind Regards
    Kim

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

Hi Kim,

I can’t say that I’ve heard of any scams like this, and it’s hard for me to think of any reason that a scammer or hacker would sign you up for this sort of trial. I guess it’s possible that Neto, or someone who they subcontract their online marketing to, did it as a marketing trick, but I doubt it.

It’s just as likely that someone entered your details on the Neto website… who knows why?!

Do you have any employees or business partners who may have signed up for the trial without letting you know?

I think all you can do to ensure that you don’t fall prey to any sort of scam is to change all of your passwords just in case. A minor inconvenience to provide some peace of mind.

The email about a business from China would definitely be a scam, so it’s good that you didn’t reply to that one!

Regards,
    John

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Kim, some comments that may help answer your questions.

Mmmm very interesting. It was a legit account set up as such, well as far as Neto was concerned but someone had set it up, not me of course. After some further investigation they tracked down an ISP number of where it was set up, which of course is not mine and it is registered to a Chinese Company, in China. So there you go. They cancelled the account for me, so at least that is good. BUT

No, it wasn’t a legitimate account set up. It was a scam set up by someone with the intention to scam you, or use your details to scam someone else. You did exactly the right thing to question it, especially not opening it.

Can someone fill me in, i must be a little naive, on why/how a hacker or the like would do this using my details as all the correspondence actually came to me. What benefit is that to them??
    Or do you think they have also hacked my emails to receive them as well as me. What else should i be doing about this???
    Please help, i am concerned and confused all at the same time.

They have an account, they know the passwords, they have all the information. Quite easy for them to manipulate the account, even if you change the password. Will be quite easy for them to then get access to other stuff on your computer. This is their job and they are sending these email out to all and sundry automatically. It only takes a few people to be caught up and they win.

Change all your passwords.

Why did I think it was a scam at the beginning:-

1. You never applied for the account but got confirmation anyway
    2. Anything you receive by email, that comes with out your specific request and provides the type of information that was in this email is almost certainly a scam
    3. Any email you get that offers you ease of access such as direct access to a website, password activation details etc,. is almost certainly a scam. They prey on you being lazy and just clicking on these links.
    4. When I crank up my computer each morning, I would get between 10-20 (no exaggeration) of various types of these scams. Half would be the normal lovely soul who has left me a few million, and the other half are variations of this.
    5. I have even had emails from supposedly my customers asking for product samples. On following up they know nothing of it. There is usually something suspicious to look out for, such as the samples needing to be sent to a different address than normal, or requesting payments to be made to different bank accounts.

These scams are becoming much more sophisticated, and while they are done in a way where they can be sent to a lot of people at one time, they are also more targeted at the people receiving them, such as this.

A lot supposedly come from banks, teclos and companies where you may expect to receive this type of thing. And a lot of people get caught.

A good rule of thumb is that if it is something that provides direct links to a website, provides PIN’s like in this instance, hit the delete button.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.