Home – New Forums Starting your journey My business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    leon
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Good Day All,

I am planning to open up a small takeaway cafe shop soon, while I do not have a background in cafe industry, I am a coffee drinker and having done a Barista course.

I may have found the location for my future small business will be, but apart from that, I am still in a search of many things related to it, such things are , equipments (fridge, coffee machine, etc), good coffee beans, food suppliers, and so on and i have no idea what sort of company shuld i open, so basicly dont know much.

So if someone can help me how to start, to make first staps would be great.

What i know i have the passion and will to do it.

Kind Regards,
    Leon

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Leon
    Welcome to Flying Solo, and good luck with your new venture.

Your questions come up quite often around here, so you will find there are some existing threads that contain helpful info. This one is a good starting point: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/new-member-introduce-yourself/5362-about-me-so-many-questions-new-cafe-hope.html

Also try entering the word ‘cafe’ in the search box on the right of the screen (under the orange ‘subscribe’ button), and you will find another few similar threads.

All the best,
    Jayne

smartbusinessplans.com.au
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi Leon,

There are a number of courses you can take to get familiar with the details of running a cafe – checkout the Sydney Community College which has a course starting in May I believe. I would also recommend you write a business plan and get your cash flow forecast for a least the first 12 months in place before you commit financially to the business.

Chris
    Smart Business Plans
    http://www.smartbusinessplans.com.au

leon
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi,

thanks Chris, thats a good idea, will go to the web side and chek for the courses and yes i will have to do a business plan. Do you know for any good links that i can get for the business plan ?!

Cheers,
    Leon

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Hi
    See my signature for business planning software.

I would also STRONGLY suggest that you try working in the industry first. Drinking coffee and working in the industry are totally different.

Try working in a shop some distance from where you intend opening up – and absorb as much knowledge as you can. Maybe even be upfront with the owner about your plans (if you are far enough away it should not worry them). Even offer to work for a minimum wage so it is a win-win.

Things to learn are suppliers, layout (or problems with theirs) systems and processes, staff needs etc.

• Total posts: 151
    Up

Running a Cafe business

Hi Leon

If you havent worked in a Cafe before you will be caught by suprise with the numerous difficulties that will arise. Do lots of research before committing any money to this business idea.

You will have to consider these important points;

• Hiring employees is expensive and cafe staff change all the time making your training costs higher than most businesses
    • You will have to train and induct all your staff to prevent bullying and workplace harassment fines. This is very common in the hospitality industry
    • The average net profit for a Cafe is about 26%.
    • You will have food handling permits, chemical storage, trading hours permits, footpath table permits, advertising signs are just some of the council required permits to start with
    • Location is critical for a Cafe

Think about how many coffees you will be making each day and see if that is something you will enjoy. I know of a business owner that bought a Muffin Break franchise and was sick of making muffins by his third week.

Blue Sky Bookkeeping
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    leon, post: 34309 wrote:
    I am still in a search of many things related to it, such things are , equipments (fridge, coffee machine, etc),

Hi Leon

Whereabouts are you? I am on the Sunshine Coast, Qld and have recently closed down a cafe. I have some good equipment that I am trying to sell (a couple of fridges and a coffee machine etc). The cafe business is a tough one, make sure you do your homework! I had a good little business that was killed by high rents and high wages.

Let me know if you are interested in the equipment at all.

Cheers Debbie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.