Home – New Forums Tech talk My domain is being used to send spam.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    ::

Hey all,

Over the last week I’ve been getting lots of spam emails bouncing back to my catchall address. My actuall email addresses aren’t being used, just my domain with gibberish infront of it.

Is there anything I can do about this? I’m worried that I might incure some kind of penatly.

BarefootMaternity
    • Total posts: 99
    Up

Apparently this is called ‘domain spoofing’.
    I found this link that talks about setting up a SPF record on your email server – I hope its helpful. Good luck! I am off to check I have one of these SPFs too!
    http://www.rollingr.net/wordpress/2006/10/10/adding-spf-sender-id-spam-protection-to-your-email-server/

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Agreed, you need to set spf records into dns.
    dont try to do it yourself uness you completely understand it or all your mail will bounce. Talk to your hosting provider about helping you set it up.

Steve

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Hi Steve….. do you know if they’re just using your domain as a spoof in their email sendouts or are they perhaps using a form on your site to send spam? If the latter, your host would know the answer to that.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Damn, don’t you just hate that? I know I do. Very annoying. It does stop after awhile. I’ve had it happen too. I think it’s funny (in a weird kind of way) to get spam sent to me, by me. I can’t blacklist my own address.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.