Home – New Forums Marketing mastery My marketing / cold calling idea. what do you think?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    marvelit
    • Total posts: 169
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

I am about to start cold calling businesses in my area. Now I really dread having to do this but I think if I play my cards right I can make it work very well.

I own a computer solutions business that supports businsess and home users. I am looking to get more business clients on, and provide them with pro active maintenance of their computers and servers etc.

My cold calling plan so far:

I am going to get 150 nice looking coffee mugs labeled with my business logo, website and number.

Source a wholesaler or at least get a discount on some cheap chocolates, not crappy ones, and fill the cups with them.

3. Maybe wrap them up in cellofane and stick a business card ot 2 in the top of the cup also.

4. Design a DL flyer which will say something along the lines of “Since we have sweetened you up a bit, how about letting us have a look at your computers and infrastucture.. for free?”

I want to offer a computer + infrastructure evaluation for free, to give them some insight into what they are doing wrong, or not doing. Follow up with a proposal outlining what I think they should do, and an estimate on cost etc maybe also.

I’d love to hear what you think!

Cheers,

Jacob

allcreative
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

Sounds like a good idea :D

From experience, the best things you can have for cold calls are:

– a script (the most important part)
    – answers to common questions
    – prompts
    – call log (contact details etc)

Obviously you’d only be sending the mugs to good leads, and make sure they are going to the people who matter….don’t want the receptionist to get the chocolates!

If the cold calling doesn’t work, then maybe the bribing with chocolates will :)

Cheers,
    Joel

BB
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

Everybody loves a freebie… so if you pick the right people, this could work very well for you.

You could also use these lines…
    “Enjoy a cuppa, while we look at your computers”
    “I can do a free appraisal in your coffee break”
    “While you’re having a break -I can do a free appraisal”

You could use biscuits instead of chocolates, it’s possible to buy individual serves of these.

It’s definitely a ‘non-threatening’ way of getting in the door, and getting your name in front of the right people.

Let us know how it goes…

B.B.

marvelit
    Up

Thanks for your reply!

What I am thinking of doing is doing like 2 or 3 different scripts, and then also going in without a script to some of them too.

I am also hoping the chocolates are going to be the winner, but your right about the receptionist. Somehow I have to get around them lol.

Mel
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    marvelit, post: 7117 wrote:
    Thanks for your reply!

What I am thinking of doing is doing like 2 or 3 different scripts, and then also going in without a script to some of them too.

I am also hoping the chocolates are going to be the winner, but your right about the receptionist. Somehow I have to get around them lol.

Don’t forget that sometimes the person answering the phone could be the one you are after. The number of times people cold call me and then go silent when I say they are speaking to the Owner/ Manager annoys the hell out of me. It is like they can not work out what to say next.

allcreative
    Up
    Mel, post: 7130 wrote:
    Don’t forget that sometimes the person answering the phone could be the one you are after. The number of times people cold call me and then go silent when I say they are speaking to the Owner/ Manager annoys the hell out of me. It is like they can not work out what to say next.

Exactly!! The script should cover that. Even have it on a whiteboard with script flows depending on the answers to the questions.

I’ve had the same experience as Mel from a number of cold callers and it’s pretty off-putting. The smooth ones get it right and it does make a difference IMHO.

Joel

marvelit
    Up

Im not going to be calling, im going into offices in person! :)

allcreative
    Up
    marvelit, post: 7134 wrote:
    Im not going to be calling, im going into offices in person! :)

Ah, your post title suggests otherwise :D

I’d be interested to know how it goes for you – it’d be great if you would post some feedback here for the benefit of others after it’s all said and done :)

Good luck with it!

Joel

marvelit
    Up

What I will do is “blog” the whole thing from beginning to end, and then post it up on here if you like.

I will write a sort of diary while I am doing it.

Cheers,

Jacob

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Hi Jacob

I’m concerned that there are some problems with the plan you’ve proposed. I dont mean to seem negative, and I hope you dont take it that way but I still want to tell you what I think.

There a couple of problems.

First, its going to be expensive. To get mugs and get them printed, filled with chocolates, packaged up and sent will cost (at a guess) between $15 and $20. So you’re up for in excess of $2000 to get in touch with 150 businesses.

And then to get in touch with new businesses this way is always going to be expensive.

Secondly, even though your prospect now has a nice new mug and has enjoyed their chocolates, you still havent given them a good reason to call you. If you’re lucky you might get some calls because they feel guilty about taking your gift and giving you nothing in return, but that’s not going to help you make the sale. You might spend all your money and not get a single new client out of it.

What I suggest is you invest this money in developing a high quality direct mail campaign that is inexpensive to run, so you can run it out to as many businesses as you want.

Now, I’m not saying this because I am a direct response copywriter and I want your business, so please dont take it this way. I’m saying it because you’ve had the guts to put your ideas out there and have a go.

What you’ve really got to do is scare your prospects about the possibility of losing their IT systems and data. The implications of losing their entire customer database, their accounting data and not being able to get them back. The disruption to their business, the cost to get it up and running, the customer details lost forever.

This can be because of data loss, malicious staff or viruses.

Then offer a free audit of their IT capability to see whether they’re in a position to cope it this happened, or whether it would mean months of disruption and tens of thousands of dollars of work all gone.

This could be rolled out for around $1-$2 a prospect, so you can quickly and inexpensively get more clients any time you want. Instead of rolling out to 150 prospects, you can send it to over 1000 for the same price, and you’re sure to get more new clients this way.

Hugh

marvelit
    Up

Hi Hugh,

Thank you for your great reply!

As I have expressed previously, there is going to be no post outs, no cold calls, I am delivering all of this in person.

I will be offering a computer / infrastructure audit with each “gift” given to every client. This is also going to be free, as stated in my first post.

I have done a direct mail campaign before, with very little success.

I do want to try doing it in person, as I feel once they meet me I can sell it myself, instead of having a faceless flyer or a multiple page information pack that might as well be written in a different language for most people.

In regards to price, the mugs are costing me under $750 for 144. Now that is 144 clients I have met, and have given a gift before I even tell them what I do or what I can offer them. Also have to pay for choclates on top of that, and also soem DL flyers made, but that wont be very expensive. It will all up probably cost me atound 1k – 1.2k. This is just a little bit of what i used to spend on the paper in a month.

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

Hi Jacob

In good old marketing lore, we were told that face-to-face is the best sales generator, but it’s generally quite expensive. However, if you’re willing to give it a go and have targeted businesses that may well need your help, I think it could really work for you.

Moreover, it’s awesome that you have so much energy and drive. It positively oozes from the screen! If you’re that personable in person, you probably will drum up some business. Just remember to leave something behind apart from the goodies to remind people about what you’re offering, perhaps some business card magnets with a few key points:

• daily/hourly backups so you don’t lose your valuable data
    • onsite 24-hour computer fix-ups (err, or whatever the case may be)
    • etc.

On another topic, I seem to remember you saying you use a 1300 number to appear bigger, etc., but I like to see the ‘face’ of the businesses I use so you may well want to put something about YOU on your About page, including a photo. Maybe I overlooked it as I wasn’t on your site for long.

Well, I’ll close for now, but I’ll definitely be interested in reading about how you go.

marvelit
    Up

Hi Renee,

Thank you so much for your kind words!

In regards to leaving something behind, I will 100% be leaving them a DL flyer with some details on the promotion I am offering, and probaly also a few small stickers they can use to stick onto their computers, this way they can’t lose them :). Plus a business card or two.

I guess my main concern is getting it to the right person.

As someone else said, I dont want to ended up on the receptionists desk while she sits there and throws everything away and eats the chocolate.

I was actually thinking about doign something along the lines of making an envelope with “TOP SECRET” or “CONFIDENTIAL” in big red letters on it, and associating it with my business being a “super hero”.

mrsforex
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Hello there!

Will you be calling people yourself? I used to have an insurance business and cold calling was very hard because so many people rejected you. At the end of the day its very discouraging. But if you’re going to hire people to do it for you.. then maybe it’ll be easier?

Best of luck to ya!

marvelit
    Up

Hi Mrsforex,

I guess I chose the wrong title for the thread! hehe.

I am not going to be phoning people, I will be “calling” into their offices personally. I think this is a lot easier than phoning people. Slower yes, but I think at the end of the day more effective.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.