Home – New Forums Marketing mastery My marketing / cold calling idea. what do you think?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    mrsforex
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::
    marvelit, post: 7201 wrote:
    Hi Mrsforex,

I guess I chose the wrong title for the thread! hehe.

I am not going to be phoning people, I will be “calling” into their offices personally. I think this is a lot easier than phoning people. Slower yes, but I think at the end of the day more effective.

Oooohhh.. haha sorry I guess I misunderstood! :-)

marvelit
    • Total posts: 169
    Up

yeah sorry its completley my fault! :(

mrsforex
    Up

No worries. Anyway, I have people coming into my office all the times with tasty treats and mugs and stuff. I think its a great idea. One guy had his wife make cookies and he brought them in today. Mmmmm!

marvelit
    Up

lucky you!

Do you actually call those people for their services though. Everyone likes getting free stuff, but do the services get used?

mrsforex
    Up

I always keep their business card unless its something silly Id never use. But the ones that are relevant I keep. Everyone usually has their designated go-to person for every aspect of their business but when that go-to person isn’t available, I always go to the numbers that people dropped off and sometime I switch over to them all together.

marvelit
    Up

hmm interesting! :)

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

Hi Jacob

I read the bit about the DL leavers *after* I posted. Anyway, that’s great, especially the stickers as I’ve found I tend to ring places that have magnetised versions of their items. Otherwise, they tend to go into the ‘file pile’, a place where paper goes to die …

Anyway, you cannot really be sure that your material will get past the ‘gatekeepers’, but you’d be surprised how much input the receptionist (who in small organisations might be a wife, daughter or Mum) has in selecting who to use if there’s computer trouble. Most managers just want it fixed; they don’t really care how (until the bill arrives, grin).

So, how long will it be until you have your marketing material completed so you can start visiting?! Yep, I’m quite keen to hear how you go since the face-to-face personal selling technique is quite different from what I do, i.e. putting referral networks in place and utilising the glorious power of word-of-mouth. Then, of course, the real selling begins be it via telephone, email or in-person.

marvelit
    Up

Yeah I agree in regards to receptionists. A lot of the time I have found they run the show lol.

Apparently it takes two weeks for the mugs to be ready which kind of stinks.. I find that a bit long! I am guessing that most of the online companies are just outsourcing the printing anyway, which is why it takes a few weeks to do. Everyone has the same cups etc, which leads me to believe this.

I am also running a woolworths shopper dockets campaign at the moment in one of my local woolies. Just started on Wednesday so that will be interesting to see how it goes. I sort of regret it now, I should have jsut used that money to buy mugs lol.

Why I might actually do is video blog the whole thing! that could be pretty cool too ehhee.

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up
    marvelit, post: 7221 wrote:
    Yeah I agree in regards to receptionists. A lot of the time I have found they run the show lol.

Yep. :-)

Apparently it takes two weeks for the mugs to be ready which kind of stinks.. I find that a bit long!

Is this from design to printing and delivery? If so, that sounds okay to me. Maybe the promotional products producers can let us know if that’s reasonable.

I am also running a woolworths shopper dockets campaign at the moment in one of my local woolies. Just started on Wednesday so that will be interesting to see how it goes. I sort of regret it now, I should have jsut used that money to buy mugs lol.

I briefly considered that until I realised how hit and miss it can be with some products and many services, but, again, please let me know how you go!

marvelit
    Up

Hi Renee,

Sorry for the late reply.

I think the shopper dockets went live on wesnesday last week. Not one single reply yet.

It still is early thought.

It did cost me 1.1k for the 10 week campaign, so i got a fair bit of money to get back lol.

Im worried I will have the same sort of thing happend with the mugs :(

PeterV
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

First of all congratulations on making the effort to do SOME Marketing. Most IT guys just dont – plain and simple.

However Jacob you must be prepared for the long haul. Marketing is not a one time or two time exercise. It is a never ending activity that requires focused and controlled attention.

If you really want to get yourself moving then I suggest take a look at:http://www.technologymarketingtoolkit.com/

Robin Robin’s is one of a kind. She has certainly helped my business to boom over the past couple of years. I cant recommend her highly enough.

I admire someone like you who is prepared to have a go. If I can help you in any other way just post back

marvelit
    Up

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for your kind words.

I have been in business for a year and a half now, and I started with about $500 so I have come a long way already I think.

I checked out that marketing toolkit, wow its pretty damn pricey! Must be worth it though if you are recommending it.

I listened to a few things on the website and I am already about to try and put in place a few of those things on my own steam.

Especially the managed services / contractual maintenance. Thats where I want my business to go 100%.

PeterV
    Up

Jacob

Well done on your start in business and I reckon you are on track by going to a managed services model. It is the only future – both for you and for your customers. It is only under this model that you can give them the service they deserve and warrant.

BTW I like to say to my clients who have changed to a managed services model – now you only pay me when the computers are working not when the computers are broken!

It sounds like you are now doing marketing because work has fallen off a bit which is probably affecting everyone one way or another. One of the great things about Robin is that she instills habits which create consistency of effort with the marketing. Gotta tell you the truth I was very ordinary with marketing before but now I cant run the business without it.

We have grown managed client revenue from $0 in early 2007 to just under $500K this financial year and we are out in the sticks! I cant imagine what someone like you in a metro location would do using Robins program.

One good example that works (and I know others have mentioned it here) is a monthly newsletter. By doing just that one thing consistently we have got so much better response from our existing clients and a tool to help market to new clients. It sounds simple, but it is hard work and the consistency is the thing. The other important thing is it is on paper NOT an email.

BTW action gets results…so no matter what anyone says about what is good or bad as marketing, the fact you do something will be a positive….you will either get exactly the result you want OR you will learn what doesnt work!

HTH

marvelit
    Up

Hi Peter,

I am absolutley gobsmacked at your managed client revenue! That is fantastic and hope it goes up from there!

So would you say that robins program has had the biggest effect on your total income? by that i mean putting the things you learnt into practice which equaled managed service contracts?

I guess nothing worth super value is free in this world (besides this forum lol) so maybe I should just bite the bullet and sign up. The website makes me very skeptical though. I often think too much of a good thing means its probably a bit dodgy, but since you speak highly of it it must be actually true.

PeterV
    Up

Jacob

Just to clarify on the revenue side – that is total revenue from managed services clients – not just what they pay per month but what they bought as well…which is important to remember, when you become a trusted advisor people do tend to buy from you as well.

The power of Robin’s program relates directly to how much you use it…and that is the real power for me in what she offers. By helping me with my enthusiasm, persistence and keeping a positive attitude she has definitely made a difference to what I am doing…and what I am doing determines my results.

On the ‘dodgy’ issue I can assure you there are at least 6 other people in Australia using her programs I can point you to. As well I have been to Nashville and met with Robin and her team and they are real people. They are fair dinkum in every sense.

The truth is she is offering you nothing but hard work…however her ‘hard work’ will get a result for you if you are prepared to do it.

HTH

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.