Home – New Forums Starting your journey My new business is paining me

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    The Rogue Counsellor
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

Help!! I am not a usual computer user and have found over the last six months as I have been doing the background work for my new business that I have had to spend many many hours on the keyboard. Over the last couple of months it’s been between 20 and 40hrs a week.

My right arm is killing me! Shoulder, muscle behind the bicep, elbow, writst and right hand, both the palm and top.

How do you guys do it???

I have recently got rid of the mouse and replaced it with a swipey sort of keyboard and this has helped, but it’s still paining me.

In this start up phase I really can’t avoid the long hours at the laptop. I hardly use a computer in my paid job, which provides respite, but I’m wondering if anyone has tips – exercises I can do, technology I can purchase, tricks on how to manage what is starting to resemble RSI.

I figure with the businesses many of you run you must be spending longer on a computer than me, and might have some things to recommend. Could be just to toughen up of course :)

Most grateful for any suggestions.

Lee
    The Rogue Counsellor

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Firstly, it sounds like you need a good remedial tissue massage to get rid of the knots in your shoulder and back first. You need this in order to avoid further long-term damage which will take longer to fix.

Posture is important. If you are using a laptop, then using a ‘riser’ or whatever it’s called, and a separate keyboard can help.
    There are various tips and information at this site
    http://www.safecomputingtips.com/ergonomic-problems.html

And hopefully some others will chime in.

The Rogue Counsellor
    Up

Thanks Karen, just checking the website out now.

Many years ago when the job I was doing required lots report writing in short stints of a week or two I used to have aching shoulders (from poor posture) and learned that standing to work at my computer suited me much better, which I’ve done ever since then (cannot find a way to sit at a computer without sloping shoulders, no matter how hard I try).

But your post made me realise my keyboard is now much lower than it was then. Will fix this bit to start with … and then scrutinise the site you recommended. And book in for a massage next week! I hadn’t actually thought of that, because I was concentrating on my paining arm and hand, but of course my back and shoulder need work too.

Much appreciated, thanks :)

Lee
    The Rogue Counsellor

Pai1nter
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

I actually use a couple of telephone books to make my monitor higher(at my eye-level) and use the mouse with my left hand as I am right-handed. I get wrist pain if I use my right hand. If I were to use a laptop I may get a separate monitor to help with posture.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Ha ha – my first thing to say would be toughen up it’s only a computer.

Seriously though there can be many factors – you may just need to get used to it, you may need a new chair, you may need to raise the screen etc.

Perfect reason for a massage though as perhaps it is a tax deduction as it is work related!!!!!!!

BentleyC
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Lee!

This guy Elliott has some great info and some great vids, you’ll either love him or hate him though haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZMDgj7ohps

Bentley

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Lee,

What kind of work are you doing on the computer?

What I’m getting at is – what would allow you to spend less time at the computer!!!

I’m asking myself the same question because my computer work (full-time) is affecting my vision 😮

I’d be really keen to hear what you think.

Dave

The Rogue Counsellor
    Up

Thanks to all you helpful folk …

Have the telephone book out Pai1nter, but have tossed out last year’s so will need another ‘chunky’ thing to add. Tried using my left hand with the mouse but am way slow and clumsy with it and know I’m too lazy to persevere, hence the swipey keyboard thingo.

Love the idea of the massage as a business expense Miss Sassy, that is brilliant! And yeah, I do need to toughen up :)

Have had a look at the site you recommended Bentley, and while I agree with his philosophy (I’m a counsellor who regularly sees people’s emotional and psychological pain reflected physically) in this case I can confidently say my pain has nothing to do with my emotional state, and everything to do with my computer and mouse … But I’ll happily check out his other vids – I like his style :)

Lee
    The Rogue Counsellor

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Along with the massage you really need to learn to sit properly. This might entail getting the correct chair and adjusting it to the correct height and angle as well as making sure the keyboard, mouse and monitor are at the correct heights.

This link shows the things I was taught when I was doing data entry in the dark ages:

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-an-Ergonomically-Correct-Workstation

Callcentreguru
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hi lee,

I have a handful of telemarketers that work for me and they spend 4-8 hours per day behind a screen & keyboard. What I always emphasise to them is walk around or move from your seat each hour and stretch. It allows your eyes to refocus as well as your back, neck and shoulders the opportunity to have its muscles elasticised after being cramped up in the same position for long periods of time.

This has improved focus and decreased the pain.

Ps – can never go wrong with a massage either :)

Cheers
    Maria
    OUT2MARKET

SuzsSpace, post: 184770 wrote:
    Along with the massage you really need to learn to sit properly. This might entail getting the correct chair and adjusting it to the correct height and angle as well as making sure the keyboard, mouse and monitor are at the correct heights.

This link shows the things I was taught when I was doing data entry in the dark ages:

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-an-Ergonomically-Correct-Workstation

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Lee,

Massages are great, any excuse to have one take it.

Preventative measures:
    Try to keep your mouse elbow close to your side and relaxed.
    Try to notice the tension in your arm and let it go when you do.
    Try to get up and take regular breaks, 5min in every hour.

Steve

Osmond Mcleod
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

Just a few things i do,

I used to get tendonitis in my right wrist. In the end what saved me from surgery on my hand at 24 was a evoluent mouse. Its a sideways mouse. It will get you many strange looks, but it worked wonders for me. Also no one will use your computer, because they will not be able to drive it. :0

Easier said than done, but i try to be conscious of how i am sitting during the day. all the set up in the world wont help if you still slump forward. If i get into something i end up hunched over and glaring at the screen. I have a timer every 15 minutes. When it goes off, i get up, walk to the street, sometimes further if i am stuck, and then start again.

I used to work with a guy who slipped a ruler under his keyboard. If he started to sit forward the ruler poked him in the stomach. What ever works :D

I also know someone who works at their computer standing up. He has a bar height desk set up and stands at his computer. Some sit on fit balls too.

If i can get away form the computer, i will. I am trying to do about 2 hours of tasks away from the computer each day which is helping me.

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

Search on YouTube for exercises relevant to each of your aches and pains.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I love that mouse! How long did it take to adjust to it?

Also, if you find you’re slumping forward then core strengthening exercises would be good.

Osmond Mcleod
    • Total posts: 134
    Up
    SuzsSpace, post: 185158 wrote:
    I love that mouse! How long did it take to adjust to it?

It only took about a week to get used to it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.