Home – New Forums Tell me straight… My new startup idea, am I crazy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    col_skelly
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I’ve been thinking about getting a startup going looking to facilitate small business joint ventures and collaboration. Its a very loose idea so far but I’d be interested to hear if you think there is room in the market for a service that provides a “match maker” style service for B2B based on each clients specific criteria.

I’ve thrown together a quick (3 question) survey as well which might help inform my thinking:

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/3F8FCbVN

I’d love any feedback, positive or negative.

Thanks in advance!

Col

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Concept sounds good, I had a look at the survey but you don’t have the fee option I think would be best.

I would think a monthly fee will send you to the poor house. Most startups will have the need for the service, find a partner, than have no more need and move on.

I would have thought a one off fee, or a fee for introductions would be better.

Just My Opinion

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    bb1, post: 236866, member: 53375 wrote:
    Just My Opinion

I’d have to agree with Bert, I’m not sure why I’d pay an ongoing fee for this service.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to the Forums. It is great to have you!

I think people would pay for a value added service and that might include matchmaking but it would need to go further such as business plan formation, investor acquisition plan formation, mastermind group and/or peer or adviser reviews etc.

Sounds like a great idea.

Let us know how you go with it.

Cheers

LeisaM
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi there, I’ve just completed your survey but like others, would probably be reluctant to pay an ongoing fee for a service like this.

My thinking is that once you’ve identified an appropriate partner for a JV or collaborative piece of work, you are then likely to spend a period of time establishing that particular project or piece of work rather than constantly looking for new partners. The exception here is people who need affiliates for online products or services (I have an online course and would LOVE a service that matches me with businesses, bloggers, or others who can become affiliates for my course).

Another thing I would find really helpful in a service like that you are considering is some guidance, support, etc. in setting up the partnership – i.e. what kind of documents would need to be put in place, how do you work out an appropriate revenue split, what are the legal considerations, etc.

Hope that helps! :-)

col_skelly
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi all, thanks very much for your responses. Some very good food for thought there. I am starting to agree that a fee for service as opposed to an ongoing subscription based fee structure could be a better option.

I also hadn’t considered the other components mentioned, like business planning, JV support, legal advice etc. Those are great ideas which I think we’ll consider.

Leisa – that is exactly the sort of thing we are looking to do, I’m glad you think there is a need for it!

Ultimately, the desire to move into this field stems from the fact that with both of my family’s businesses we found it difficult to find JV partners and the like. If there was someone who knew, based on my industry, specific business etc, what I would be looking for in a partner, and who/where those potential partners are.

Thanks very much again!

Col

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.