Home – New Forums Marketing mastery My new website and video, pls harshly review!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    AdServe
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    ::

Cheers,

For the last 12 months I have been living in Korea developing a product that will be sold worldwide. Wow a psychotic amount of development.. I think I did 5yrs of work over this last 12 months.

The product uses a custom micro computer that plugs directly into the HDMI port of screens to provide digital menu boards and digital signage. The software is based on my existing system that I developed 5 years ago but has been totally rewritten to be 100% Android native. Also my entire 5yr wish list of functionality has been incorporated. I have many amazing features that are 90% there but not included yet as it is time to ship.

I am selling the system for $500 including all hardware and software required to run signage or a restaurant menu board.
    I used to sell my old system for $3000. The windows PC cost me $800 previously and required clients to pay for a lot of cabling/install work so really my old asking price was close to $5000.
    There is so many benefits to this system and doing digital signage in this way that communicating all this to customers will be hard.

Well I’m at the stage of selling now and have been putting together marketing material over the last two weeks.

I be using adwords mainly to drive sales and I do have a huge cost advantage over all competitors.

My site that is in development now It has replaced a site that got a 10% enquiry to visitor ratio, There are a few underdeveloped pages but it really is the look and feel that I want to get peoples feedback on.
    The new site will be targeted at end users initially but will shift some focus to re-sellers after I get a bit of cash in and tweak things a little. I offer resellers the price of $300 for the system.

I have only taken on a single client in this last year as I have been just focusing on development so my cash is no existent right now.. my aim is to get some sales and then pay some copywriters and designers to tweak things.

[MEDIA=youtube]QVo8UwGPVk0[/MEDIA]
    My video, its made with a $100 camera hehe and the sound is a little off, it really is just a mockup, but it covers all of the areas I want to go over. Video is made in my Seoul office and I will re-do it at one of my clients premises once i’m back in AU.

AdServe
    Up

I just had someone purchase the system this morning, they are an optometrist and will be using the system on a 24in LCD that they will mount in their window.

22-24in monitors these days are little more than $100 and brackets cost around $30.

They have a bus stop outside of their shop and I think it will be a really cost effective way to promote their specials and services.

The guys brother will be installing the screen using an ebay swing arm bracket from the wall next to the window so it seems that they are going to get out of this for less than $700.

He had a quote previously where a standard sized computer would installed behind the front counter and a HDMI network cable video extender would be wired through the ceiling all the way to the screen, total Quote was $4,250 he is rapt haha

It would be great to get some input as I dont think that I can convert 1 out of every 10 adwords visitors ongoing

My old website made me look much bigger and gave big companies confidence to contact me, half of my old enquiries were from chain stores or large customers and I think that this new site somehow does not convey the appearance of an established business.

Cat – GLC
    • Total posts: 440
    Up

Hi Adam,

I have just quickly looked over your website and here is my two cents:

– The colour of the text that you use (grey on the white background) is a little hard to read.

– The links on the connect with us on the bottom of the page don’t take you anywhere.

– With your headers you use capitals for some words and not for others which isn’t consistent throughout the site.

– Maybe put your address details also on the Contact Us page.

– There is nothing on the Support page.

– Is it correct that when you go to purchase that shipping is just $1 no matter where it needs to be sent to?

Anyway that is just what jumps out at me and thought I would share.

Cheers

Cat :)

mediaworkflow
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Adam,

Your page looks good for the most part. Now I only giving an opinion from the marketing point of view and it seems that you explain the product but really do not explain your customer demographic and how it will help that demographic to get over the problem that your product fixes.

It is great to show what it does and how to set it up but your customer is always asking “What is in it for me” and “How would that improve my life or business” and going through your site including your video I really only see how to, so you show features but no benefits that the feature can fix for your customer.

You maybe getting the right amount of traffic but maybe your sales message is missing the mark so your traffic are not buying.

As your item is a little technical, a good explainer video that gets your sales message across of what your product does and it’s features and the benefits to customer demographic it offers. Your video would need to be done in such away to keep your customers glued to the screen and wanting to look further into your product.

So overall the site looks good but the content is a little light and marketing message is not really complete.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Kamahl

nitro-it
    Participant
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

Neither the website or video are doing it for me. I’ve setup digital signage with small media players connected to screens running HDMI over Ethernet and the setup was straightforward. I like the idea of a small device that plugs into a HDMI port, but your video is not very clear at all. It’s projected onto a wall with clutter. You should include screen captures in your video so that people can clearly see exactly what you’re doing, rather than you talking about what you’re doing. Pictures tell 1,000 words etc. Show a video of it in us (actual digital signage) because hooking it up to a projector will only confuse people.

The website is cluttered. You’re trying to promote a way of simplifying complex setups. Your website should be simple (KISS methodology). Font selection is poor and the layout of the homepage is way too cluttered with too many options for the visitor to click on. I didn’t know what to look at first. The photos were also lacking a little with the focus not really on the product. For example, the bain marie pic really just shows digital signage in the background. It needs to be the focus of the picture.

For a great device you want a great website, but unfortunately you’ve got a way to go yet.

LuckyDip
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

Hi Adam,

Is it possible to have multiple AdServe Systems across multiple locations with one master control? I.e. if you have a café in one suburb and another café in a neighbouring suburb – can you control both devices from one login or do you need to operate them separately?

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Hey Adam this is a cool idea man have you thought about looking at getting into a startup incubator or going after some funding? It feels like something that could be huge but I think you need some help with marketing. It will probably cost a lot to get a designer in to make this look like a world class product but that’s what it needs. It looks like an amazing product but the site doesn’t really go close to doing it justice. Funding would put you in front of the right people to make all of that happen?

AdServe
    Up
    LuckyDip, post: 165216 wrote:
    Hi Adam,

Is it possible to have multiple AdServe Systems across multiple locations with one master control? I.e. if you have a café in one suburb and another café in a neighbouring suburb – can you control both devices from one login or do you need to operate them separately?

Hi thanks and yes if you have looked at the site and can not see that this can be done then I am not presenting it in the right way.

Yes each zone could be anywhere in the world, in the video I am in Seoul but my web browser is connecting to my Tokyo server, the web server is then sending commands back to the devices that are next to me. You could have a hundred devices scattered all over the world and it would be no different to having 100 devices in front of you. I have Amazon servers in AU,JP and the states. Same control panel, you may send an advertisement to all players at once, a group of players or a single player.

Cheers

AdServe
    Up

Thanks a lot to the people that replied.

The website and video were put together over 4 days and targeted at installers and industry people mainly, but I am hoping to get private sales and get some funds in from it. I will pretty much change it all and cut down on the amount of info sprouted on the first page.
    I have sold one to an optometrist in Sydney and another to a bakery in Portland USA.

Got some press here http://www.sixteen-nine.net/2013/06/24/android-digital-signage-closer-adserve/ and that is where the Portland sale started from.

I really like these guys site, it will be what I aim to have out there http://www.eclipsedigitalmedia.co.uk/embed-digital-menu-boards/

ICat – GLC
    I changed that text colour and yes the headings are inconsistent, also noted your other suggestions.
    The shipping is actually free worldwide, I can get $35 shipping within a few days worldwide and I will be stocking some of these at Amazon for next day USA shipping.

mediaworkflow
    Yes sell benefits not features.. its very hard when you make something yourself and know all the great features, its hard to not mention Ghz and dual cores but focus on what problem it solves for the customer. A good video is what is needed and what you said, selling benefits.

nitro-it
    It is more of a server than a media player. I really do want it not to be cluttered.. I love this new flat design look and very clean design that is in style now.
    The pics are screen captures of my $100 cameras video so they really can get much better. I do think that people have seen pictures of screens before and that showing the system working in a real environment is a good thing thou.

websitedesigner
    I am open to investment and do have some people who are somewhat interested but giving away 10% for $20,000 or something like that seems crazy to me. We don’t in Australia have any kind of seed startup funding available with things like exit terms and future options built in, we just have people who want a decent chunk and to do nothing it seems. I would be happy with even $10,000 of investment taking a good percentage if that investment was linked to milestones that would provide additional investment or the guarantor ship of finance etc plus a time commitment from someone with a good track record. In AU it just does not happen.
    The startup incubators to me seem to be for people who do startup as a lifestyle but I could be open to the right place.
    I will email you, thanks for sending your address.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

I am open to investment and do have some people who are somewhat interested but giving away 10% for $20,000 or something like that seems crazy to me.

Hey Adam you aren’t thinking about this the right way. You aren’t giving away equity for the money you are doing it to get the idea in front of the right people.

I interviewed Lauren from Flightfox who went from idea to $800,000 in funding in less than a year by starting with Sydney based startmate.com.au. Here’s the interview.

She owned 100% of $0 at the start of the year and 80% of a multi-million dollar business at the end. It’s not for everyone but I think you would be a good candidate for this.

You need world class help with this to give the product justice.

AdServe
    Up

Thanks, I have been away from AU over a year now and have never heard of that group. It does look good but right now concentrating on making biz plans for investors instead of getting sales in and moving past the next few steps, is not the way to go in my opinion.
    But maybe in a month I can look at what a group like that could do.

I know about missing opportunities http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YpyjLALoBU My system the software part has been totaly re-made in HTML5 but it does much the same thing besides the android part as it did 5 years ago.. It really was the first cloud based digital signage program.

I developed it in 2005 then 300k worth of it was sold the next year by a reseller, I got about 180k of that, then the next year it went down to me taking 100k off less sales then some bad property buying at the wrong time and a bad business purchase at the wrong time.. put me down into a rut for a while….
    If I would of had good investors in 2006 and good partners then things could of been way different.

Im glad to see that there is some proper financing available like in that link, 7.5% is great, I have had some crazy offers before like someone investing 10k and 18k of their time for 50%

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.