Home – New Forums Marketing mastery My Trade show Exhibit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up
    ::

OK on Wednesday and Thursday I will be exhibiting at the sydney Events Showcase Expo formally known as RSVP Events Expo (no nothing to do with the dating site)

The expo for corporate Events.

I have a small 2 m by 2 m stand, 3 banners a 4 feet by 4 feet stage I will be presenting from with a PA system, I have my new business card produced in the US which turn into mini brochures.

I have magic trick giveaways that I literally throw into the audience plus chocolates (long story) and my giveaway is a download. I thought about a competition, but while people love to win stuff, I like the idea of everyone gets a prize.

I have my lead generation forms made.

On the second day I am doing a stage magic presentation in a VIP section of the expo, I have been rehearsing that show for about 1 month, (ever since I got the stage time)

I have phoned up past clients and potential clients inviting them along to the expo to see me, I had a special VIP tickets to give out to special clients for the VIP Party, I also got on the hot list of must see exhibitors list.

I have set up a pre-scheduled meeting planner online so potential customers who are time poor can book in time to see me, which is to be honest very average at this point in time I don’t suspect it will get many bookings, but most of the time people come around when it is good for them on the day.s of the expo- they have no idea what they are going to be doing at the expo 1 week before hand.

emailed my database, added the news to a few free online news places

I will be building crowds of customers as I do when I get booked for trade shows by other companies- I think I am ready, any suggestions

what else- taking into account I have 2 days- 1 of which is set up day (tuesday)

Dry cleaning
    hair cut
    Pens paper

you ideas here

The Infotainer
    Up

ah yes the red bulls

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Sounds like you are very organised.
    If you are alone on the stand I suggest you have a couple of signs for you when you need to either take a break, or a doing the stage presentation.

A sign or two saying ‘Back in x mins’ – ‘Come over to the stage presentation or fill in this form/card and I’ll contact you asap).
    Especially important if you are in discussion with someone and can’t break the conversation.

Make it a creative clock sign for the ‘Back in x minutes’.

The usual extras like deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste, water – amazing how cleaning your teeth a couple of times a day can help you feel less tired at an expo.

All the best.

Peapod
    • Total posts: 57
    Up

I don’t really have any ideas. Just wanted to say it sounds great. I’m looking to go and have stands at some local markets (hopefully!) soon, so I thought your post was good to read. :-)

The Infotainer
    Up
    KarenC, post: 86261 wrote:
    A sign or two saying ‘Back in x mins’ – ‘Come over to the stage presentation or fill in this form/card and I’ll contact you asap).
    Especially important if you are in discussion with someone and can’t break the conversation.

Great

I have seen those clocks in office works actually- Yes I am by myself so that clock will go down well-

I’l print up a sign that will be a “I am on stage right now”- with directions from my stand to the stage (it is pretty close 1 minute walk if that)

It’s pretty cool- I have designed my brochure which is actually business card sized with 8 panels so it opens (4 on front 4 on back) on one of those panels- the ones with my testimonials I have an interactive trick which I will perform on stage, what this trick does is communicate a message about my services (I am the infotainer after all) puts my brochure into the hands of my target market, emphasizes the testimonials, and it’s one of those tricks that anyone and everyone who has my brochure will be able to do the trick at the same time- so I will have 250 people in the audience holding my brochure looking at my testimonials and doing a cool interactive trick that delivers a message, I am getting professional videographer to video the stage show and 1 hour at my stand, so I will post this (it will be on my site) if anyones interested to view it. Hopefully if the Videographer understands my brief I will have a top down view from way above so you can see the neighboring stands on how they exhibit and how My small stand works- I have a feeling that my stand will stand out from the pack. simply becuase I will be doing live demonstrations at my stand while they stand there holding brochures trying to read peoples name badges as they walk past.

I must admit with the pre show marketing and prep for this event I have been preping and marketing this event for about 6 months- I was over it half way through last week- I just couldn’t be bothered thinking about it anymore- but now with 2 days to go I am pumped up. I am ready to put on “The” show- not “a” show but “thee” show. raaaaaaa here me roar

The Infotainer
    Up

I am a smoker :(

so what I do is take my jacket off, go out side- do my puff thing and then go into the rest room, wash my hands, gargle with minty wash and also wash my face, Yes I get the soap and wash around my mouth and cheeks to

I also stand in a way that the smoke does not blow back into my clothes- this is a process but limits the actual amount of smoke smell.

it doesn’t get into my hair so much nowadays simply because there is not much hair for it to get in

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    KarenC, post: 86261 wrote:
    Sounds like you are very organised.
    If you are alone on the stand I suggest you have a couple of signs for you when you need to either take a break, or a doing the stage presentation.

Make it a creative clock sign for the ‘Back in x minutes’.

The usual extras like deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste, water – amazing how cleaning your teeth a couple of times a day can help you feel less tired at an expo.

All the best.

Since he does magic tricks I would suggest something like “One of my disappearing tricks screwed up and I can’t find my way back – Will be back shortly (I hope)”. :p

The Infotainer
    Up

never admit the negative in such a way that cannot be defended by yourself due to the fact that I am not there so No I would not have that kind of sign that says I stuffed up a trick.

plus I don’t stuff up my tricks so it goes against my brand.

I can get a sales message out of it such as I am performing the VIP area at the moment works better because even if they can’t see the show- it adds credibility “Oh he is performing at the vip party” as for my smoko breaks- well “I am in a meeting” which could be anything in the minds of the audience, but some will think it genuinely that I am in a meeting possibly thinking that I that good. just hope they don’t go out side for a cig :) although that could be good if they do because I could have another one.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    The Infotainer, post: 86301 wrote:
    never admit the negative in such a way that cannot be defended by yourself due to the fact that I am not there so No I would not have that kind of sign that says I stuffed up a trick.

plus I don’t stuff up my tricks so it goes against my brand.

I can get a sales message out of it such as I am performing the VIP area at the moment works better because even if they can’t see the show- it adds credibility “Oh he is performing at the vip party” as for my smoko breaks- well “I am in a meeting” which could be anything in the minds of the audience, but some will think it genuinely that I am in a meeting possibly thinking that I that good. just hope they don’t go out side for a cig :) although that could be good if they do because I could have another one.

It was obviously a joke and I think most people that will see the sign will know that too. Do they really think you disappeared? LOL… Why so serious?

The Infotainer
    Up

DAY 1:

Absolute waste of my time

The events industry is made up of event professionals and students who study at TAFE. Students are not buying

The bulk (i’d say 90%) of the visitors were students on day 1, and to make matters worse- some of these students has fake name badges so instead of saying “student” it said “Visitor” and because they were doing an assigment they would approach the exhibit and make up an event and engage you in 101 questions just for their Theory assignment thus wasting your time. (some would take 10 minutes of of your time)

To be honest I am demoralized at the amount of money I have spent and the pitiful actual customers that were at the expo, I have 1 more day to go I have made 1 solid lead of an actual event organiser who has an actual event (by the way this event is aimed at Company Xmas parties) the rest were tire kickers.

I consult with IBM, and other companies on how to effectively exhibit and have generated increase in lead generation by 300 to 500% for my clients, but this trade show is an absolute JOKE I do not know what my course of action is because I don’t beleive I’ll a R.O.I. for my stand (I only need to make 2 decent sales to cover costs) it is that bad, someone needs to take responsibility

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there Infotainer,

How frustrating! I hope the second day is much more fruitful, and that you have some fun with it too. Don’t give up just yet… it might be another one of those trade shows where the really serious buyer is the one who turns up at the last minute.

I’ll look forward to an update when it’s all over.

Best wishes,
    Jayne

Kathy Creaner
    • Total posts: 152
    Up

Hey, I’m so sorry that I didn’t see this thread earlier (been crazy busy at work) or I would have returned the favour you did me a couple of weeks ago, by reminding you about all the encouraging advice you gave me.

I hope today worked out better for you.

Don’t forget – your best call might come after the show, from someone who saw you there but didn’t stop to talk to you during it. (We might have one of those happening now … fingers crossed … they are calling Graham back today).

Looking forward to hearing how you went today.

Kathy

The Infotainer
    Up

No there were more people but a complete and utter waste of time- over the 2 days I got more leads from google.

Here is the actual problem

I exhibited in the first 3 years of this expo (it’s now year 7) the first 2 years were good everyone was on equal footing, the third year one of the larger event agencies decided to run a showcase, essentially they bought a bunch of their different entertainers along and had a curtained off stage and seating area- and this was heavily promoted as “if you want entertainment come along to this showcase” and this was by the organisers of the expo, on the registration page they had a tick box for the showcase, and so many pre show emails to all visitors saying if they want entertainment come to the one stop shop the showcase- what happened was the individual exhibitors who were entertainers all failed which is why not a single entertainer exhibiting at that expo exhibited ever again- I was one of them

So 4 years later when booking my stand I ask- will there be a last minute showase where you (the organiser) heavily promotes a single entertainment company, they said no they will not be doing that. so I booked

1 month before hand- you guessed it they advertise the GALA showcase which they advertise as the 1 stop shop for entertainment despite the fact that the only people in the showcase were singers, so they got all the pre show advertising in media and emails at the expense of the exhibitors once again.

I did complain to the organisers who promissed me in return:

Time on stage to 400 PA’s and organisers as the closer of the expo
    1 mass email to all visitors advertising it
    1 mass email from Executive PA magazine to all their subscribers

what actually happened was:
    I did not get the mass email to all visitors (they just didn’t do it)
    The executive PA magazine had a tiny tiny thumbnail image of my name with no weblink (ie pointless) and it was right at the bottom of the email
    and about 45 people turned up to the finale (6 of them were my mates) as apposed to the 400 promised

so basically it was a complete and utter waste of my time,

The industry is sooooo snobby and stuck up and small that if I kick up a stink I will be ostracized from the events community as I was after the third year (I complained and was avoided at all costs by the associations and media), to be absolutely honest I am thinking of quitting corporate events
    I’ll focus on kids parties and trade shows (trade shows without BS organisers) but as far as cocktail parties, conferences corporate stage show, the effort required to get shows compared to how you are treated and the money people are actually spending not worth it, to make a $700 sale in corporate events is back and forth contracts a pre show meeting demo- I can make 2 automated sales for kids parties and make more. although doing kids parties is a serious hit on my ego.

here before you is a broken man

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    The Infotainer, post: 86773 wrote:
    here before you is a broken man

I always love reading your posts and am sure that you will be up and humming in no time.

I can certainly relate to the issue of the trade show, I had a little taste in a small business trade show and was terribly disappointed with the whole thing. It would have probably been much worse if I spent a lot on money on it.

Why is doing kids shows worse than corporate events? I would think that the real fun and joy that you bring to a kid would be worth much more than that of a semi-bored suite.

The Infotainer
    Up
    nominal, post: 86790 wrote:
    Why is doing kids shows worse than corporate events? I would think that the real fun and joy that you bring to a kid would be worth much more than that of a semi-bored suite.

it is not just the audience but the skill sets you develop over the last decade.
    Imagine being an artist who can’t use the skills you have spend your adult life developing. Doing kids parties is not technical enough for me- it is too easy, I can do it in my sleep and there is no challenge.

the other side is money corporate pays more, doing 1 high end magic shows is the same fee as doing 14 kids shows. but with peoples budgets being down it’s harder and harder to get this kind of work.

with corporate the real challenge is dealing with people who have no hesitation in lying to you to make a sale or going back on their words or promises, doing the shows is very enjoyable compared to kids parties. but the media and trade show organisers ie the people in charge of marketing are a waste of space, all they care about is money, nothing else. Money is 1 of but not the core of my driving force of performance, even the associations are a joke,

to give you an indication of what the hell were the visitors thinking of

The expo was aimed at corporate parties and Xmas parties for businesses
    dinners, cocktail parties etc, I got 1 lead on the first day Being the ONLY full magician and 1 of the only non entertainment agency entertainers (IE you deal direct with the entertainer) at the expo- a company who sell table decorations and hand bags which are tribal indian themed were very popular but visitors were not interested in the only magician who was doing essentially non stop live demonstrations throughout each day ummmmmmmmm what the …….. to be honest it is an insult

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.