Home – New Forums Marketing mastery My Trade show Exhibit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Kathy Creaner
    • Total posts: 152
    Up
    ::

Hi

I don’t know how you do it for the people who didn’t stop at your stand, but maybe there’s a way to approach some of the people who attended the event to find out why they walked past your stand. Perhaps the event organiser would let you survey a random selection of their attendees. Alternatively, you might be able to ask other exhibitors if they would send the survey out for you to their list of customers.

You are thinking “they weren’t interested”, while they may have been thinking “cool, a magician, I’ll look his contact details up in the expo catalogue but I don’t have time right now to watch him do magic tricks”. If they weren’t interested, you’ll be able to find out why, and make better informed decisions about whether to give up on corporates or change your approach to your stand.

With your gift for coming up with ideas for people on the forum, you’ll find a way to get the info.

Good luck and I hope you bounce back quickly from this disheartening experience.

Kathy

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up
    Kathy Creaner, post: 87008 wrote:
    Hi

I don’t know how you do it for the people who didn’t stop at your stand, but maybe there’s a way to approach some of the people who attended the event to find out why they walked past your stand. Perhaps the event organiser would let you survey a random selection of their attendees. Alternatively, you might be able to ask other exhibitors if they would send the survey out for you to their list of customers.

You are thinking “they weren’t interested”, while they may have been thinking “cool, a magician, I’ll look his contact details up in the expo catalogue but I don’t have time right now to watch him do magic tricks”. If they weren’t interested, you’ll be able to find out why, and make better informed decisions about whether to give up on corporates or change your approach to your stand.

With your gift for coming up with ideas for people on the forum, you’ll find a way to get the info.

Good luck and I hope you bounce back quickly from this disheartening experience.

Kathy

No they literally turned up their nose when they saw the term “Magician” I could see them right there and then when they did it.

I know exactly why they didn’t stop also it is because the organisers heavily promoted the special gala showcase put on by 1 of the entertainment companies as the one stop shop for entertainment, (despite the fact that the showcase was only singers) they send emails once a week to all visitors they even had a special page on the expo website, I tried to get involved with this but the organisers said no.

the first day was just students only and students with fake name badges pretending to be event organisers,(Students have assignments where they need to go out and get quotes for different companies, they don’t have a real event, it’s just on paper, they ask 101 questions take 10 minutes of your time) the second day was half and half, but the visitors I spoke to on the 2nd day did not even have any events coming up, they browsing like they browse online- on the first day only 1 person I spoke to had an event coming up.

There are lots of seminars on back to back so visitors have a full plate, but the problem is they were promoted this showcase, if you want entertainment go to this showcase at the expense of all other entertainer exhibitors, they do underground behind the scene deals – they did this 4 years ago, I stopped exhibiting as did many other entertainment companies, and I asked when booking the stand f there was going to be a showcase and they assured me that there would not be- 2 months after I paid in full the showcase was advertised

Organisers will want lots of money to get a survey and to be honest they will not do it- from experience dealing with them in the past, they don’t care

I am considering alienting myself and reporting them to the ACCC becuase they sold in bad faith and their associations however they have extremely strong media connections within the events industry, and the Main PR girl who works for them has extremely strong ties with the 2 core events media

so if I complain there goes any chance for any media in the future so it is not worth it despite the fact it is the right thing to do.

I have lost the desire to be in an industry that will lie through their teeth to sell, who treat people with disrespect and smile while doing it. I will be focusing my energies into selling to marketing managers for the simple reason is they want results and my trade show services can achieve this, if the trade show is put on without any behind the scenes sponsorship deals (that were not available to every exhibitor only those who were close to the organisers)

as far as corporate shows go- I don’t feel good about the industry anymore.

cheers

daydreamer
    • Total posts: 100
    Up

Hi Infotainer,

Thanks for telling the real story about your experience. Very insightful.

I find entrepreneurs normally only talk about their successes, and talk themselves and their business up. However, I am sure most have many failures before their success. In real life, we all have ups and downs. We can learn alot from the downs, so thanks for sharing it.

The Infotainer
    Up

I am going to fight at the expense of reputation and media connections

I don’t care anymore. I hate liars can artists and I will fight to get my money back I don’t care what the media says which is crap anyway- they only write articles about companies that spend big on adverts, they never seem to write articles on non advertising customers and I don’t want to spend $3k on a small advert anyway so stuff them. The PR articles they do write are advertorial anyway which most journalists don’t like to write. I think Journalists that flake out of the real world become journalists for the events industry

There is so much advice given on how to get PR but all those rules go out the window when it comes to the backstabbing world of corporate events

Some of my friends have quit the business of corporate events and I think I will do as well, so if I am going to quit I am going to go out with a bang

thank you all for your comments and support I will still be doing shows- but I am not going to waste a cent on an industry full of_______ insert rude word here

Dave.Goralski
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

It’s sad to see you so down, your usually the one with inspirational ideas, but here’s my thoughts

Although I know next to nothing of your industry, I would suggest not doing a trade show that is all about your industry, my guess is that most people that attend industry events are people in the industry or looking to get into the industry. They probably come looking for a specific thing and have blinders on to everything else.

My suggestion would be to think out of the box, attend expos that are filled with exhibitors that are in your target market. That way you won’t be competing, you will stand out. People attending are going to be also in your target market, or looking to be in that industry/target market. On top of all of that in between the various stage events you could offer to do some break up acts. Most events also have the first day as a trade only day were people in the industry get a chance to look at each others stuff network etc.

There might be industry press there giving you press outside your industry and into your target markets

The Infotainer
    Up
    Dave.Goralski, post: 87980 wrote:
    It’s sad to see you so down, your usually the one with inspirational ideas, but here’s my thoughts

My suggestion would be to think out of the box, attend expos that are filled with exhibitors that are in your target market. That way you won’t be competing, you will stand out.

Exhibitors are one of my target market

But if your suggestion is to spend 2-5K on a stand to exhibit then no I don’t have the budget for this, I am not sure why I would have an exhibit at for example CEBIT

if your suggestion is to cold call on stands at the expo- then been there tried that got kicked out of many trade shows and got a bad rep for years until I finally wrote apology letters to the organisers, this idea of cold calling on stands was an idea from a las vegas performer and simply was the worst advice i had ever got.

In the USA you can buy a book for $400 that has over 12000 names of exhibitors and their contact details to market to (around 20000 now), over here there are no lists to buy no lists to rent- organisers don’t share their database and most exhibitor lists on exhibit websites do not have any contact details the association is full of stand designers that promote themselves and themselves only on the association and they are the ones who are on the committee- they are also the ones who sponsor the exhibition awards and funnily enough are also the winners in most cases.

I recently entered the Entertainer of the year awards for my work at trade shows- I was beaten by Karaoke singers….. WTF the events industry of Australia have no idea and I cannot be bothered being apart of it. I would look into going to the USA but the trade shows there still have not recovered from the GFC plus it would cost a bit to do that.

basically I don’t care anymore, I don’t care what anyone thinks of me i cannot see any purpose with the corporate market I am quitting and it makes me sad

Dave.Goralski
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Didn’t mean to be cold calling or targeting exhibitors as such, but as you found in your last expo, most of the attendees relate to the industry being exhibited. My thoughts were instead of doing a expo of your industry, why not pick another that is exhibiting to your target market

The Infotainer
    Up
    Dave.Goralski, post: 88001 wrote:
    Didn’t mean to be cold calling or targeting exhibitors as such, but as you found in your last expo, most of the attendees relate to the industry being exhibited. My thoughts were instead of doing a expo of your industry, why not pick another that is exhibiting to your target market

there are none

there are only 3 events related expos in Australia

2 of which are owned and run by the same company and the second is called AIME which to be honest is triple the cost of the one I exhibited at and is more for meetings and it’s in Melbourne, I have been booked to do that trade show by an exhibitor and because of all the pre scheduled meetings and seminars you stand around 90% of the time with an empty exhibition hall- I didn’t charge the client because I felt sorry for them after I know how much they spend on getting space plus signage. (they still paid for my flights and accom)

and thats it really ADMA Australian direct marketing Forum is a wasteland. It’s all seminars and the only time people go into the exhibition is during the lunch breaks and they go directly from the door way to the lunch area- grab there food and walk out to eat our doors, I have been booked there as well no one goes into the exhibition, you would think MaRKETING PEOPLE GREAT nope they don’t even waste their time going into the exhibition you will also see half way through the day exhibitors pack up their stand because it’s so crap

does anyone know of any marketing trade shows out there? I don’t know any

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.