Home – New Forums Tell me straight… My wife built a website – Would love some feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Divyesh Amipara
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

My wife built a website and would love to hear some feedback on functionality, usability, features etc.

It has been built with an idea in mind that users will not have to go to 10s of different website to search the deals they want. They not even have to subscribe to 10s of emails and get frustrated. The mission is to save lot of time and efforts searching deals.

The website is as below and it is a deals directory, getting the Australia’s best deals from Groupon, LivingSocial, Ourdeal, Suredeal and many other popular websites at one place.

http://dealsinthebox.com.au

The target audience is daily deals customers, coupon hunters, voucher seeker and online shoppers who are looking for Travel Deals, Beauty Deals, Spa Deals, Shopping Deals etc.

The concern we have that it is a dynamic content website (changing deals everyday) so how to get it improved for SEO and get more email subscribers.

Looking forward to feedback, comments.

Regards,

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi, I can’t answer the SEO query, but please correct the tab heading and sub heading for Retail Cataloges which should be corrected to Retail Catalogues in both places. Or to the American spelling of Catalogs.

Australian/UK Catalogues
    American Catalogs

All the best.

easypeas
    • Total posts: 80
    Up
    Divyesh Amipara, post: 161752 wrote:
    Hi All,

The concern we have that it is a dynamic content website (changing deals everyday) so how to get it improved for SEO and get more email subscribers.

You’ll need header tags (ie h1 etc), and a paragraph or two of text wouldn’t go astray either…. the header, title, and paragraph of text have to share similar words too.

cheers,
    Gav

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Hi there, the site is looking good for a home job :)

At first glance
    This is a really tricky, over saturated market you are trying to take a slice from. Most websites, while trying to build an audience, leave the advertisements out. Monetise the site when you have substantial visitors.

The site in general seems a bit cluttered. With so many comparable services, you’ll need to hold their attention or lose out forever. I don’t think each deal needs as much as it has (13 elements each). Keep them to a minimum (deal name, photo, savings, one share button) and then expend to more details when they click or hover.

Finer Details
    Your background image is very low quality and doesn’t tile very well down the page.

There are also quite a lot of areas with slight misalignment (blue boxes at top, black menu, left side check boxes, ad is too wide) which make the site look a little unfinished, or lacking that professional polish. Your social icons at the bottom have a background which doesn’t match the rest of the site. Stuff like this may seem small, but it tells your visitors that this isn’t a professional site, it’s a hobby job.

I would also paginate the site. Having a page 1, page 2 structure will mean more ad impressions, faster loading times and a better user experience.

My advice
    Don’t give up improving your site when it gets to a point like this where it ‘will do’. Those small changes add up. I would also consider finding a place to put a bold mission statement up the top. People are likely to arrive at your site, see just another deals company, and leave. Tell them what they have to gain by staying.

I hope I’ve helped,

Martin – The Web Guy

Divyesh Amipara
    Up

Thanks embersketch, EasyPeas and KarenC for the feedback.

Very much appreciate it. We will work on those suggestions and will improve.

Regards,

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hi Divyesh,

The site overall looks great. A couple of points.

SEO

Traditional SEO is going to be impossible here because you are using rapidly changing content plus that content is directly copied from another website.

You need to get a little creative and create deal landing pages that bring together all your current deals for certain keywords.

For example you have plenty of rounds of golf across the top line of the site. Create a permanent page called ‘Deals on Golf Rounds’ (or similar, after keyword research) and on that page ensure you have some permanent content:

1. An image of a golf course with keywords in file name, ALT tag
    2. At least one or two short paragraphs talking about cheap golf rounds
    3. Bring in all the deals with keywords ‘golf round’
    4. Below the deals show some permanent resources like ‘Try these golf courses:’ and ‘Learn how to swing with these golf videos’

Affiliate Income

Elsewhere I just wanted to make sure you were away that many of these deal sites will not provide affiliate income to deal aggregators. If you intend to make money through referrals just double check in the terms and conditions.

Ref: http://au.businessinsider.com/livingsocial-is-cutting-out-the-daily-deal-aggregators-2011-1

Good luck with the site.

Divyesh Amipara
    Up

Hi James,

Thanks for that handy SEO tips.

Appreciate that mate.

I would love to discuss with you about doing SEO for http://dealsinthebox.com.au and http://www.snippick.com.au

Speak soon.

Regards,

adyster
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

I agree with some of the other comments that it feels a bit cluttered.

Try and make the deal headlines stand out a bit more. There’s so much vying for my attention that it’s not really standing out.

Is it possible to have a separate deal “detail” page on your own site that you link to from the homepage deals? I’d say that’d help with SEO a bit.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Divyesh,
    The SEO of a daily deals site is way too complex to address in a forum.

A deals directory comes with another set of issues.

You are obviously aware of some of the issues with your reference to “dynamic content website (changing deals everyday)”.

Don’t expect cheap and easy solutions or any guarantee of success. People can buy white label “daily deals” software these days and you can expect that most start ups will fail.

Deal sites need many marketing attributes to be successful. SEO is a small part of the total package.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Divyesh Amipara
    Up

Hi Adyster and JohnW,

Thanks for the constructive criticism. That is really helpful.

We will make necessary changes and try our best to improve in next couple of weeks.

Regards,

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    chaase, post: 162992 wrote:
    Dont forget people with disability

http://wave.webaim.org/report#/http%3A%2F%2Fdealsinthebox.com.au%2F
    Hi Chaase,
    Don’t think I follow your post…

As much as I support making the web accessibe to people with disabilities, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any shopping cart site or site with any complexity that can maintain compliance with HTML standards, let alone the much more rigorous requirements for those with disablities..

Eg:
    amazon.com = 435 non-HTML compliance errors
    ebay.com = 625 ” ” ” “
    ato.gov.au = 334 ” ” ” ”

The tool you reference for checking compliance is not even HTML standard compliant itself.

What value is that tool?
    Regs,
    JohnW

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

I’d try and clean it up a bit as at the moment it looks very cluttered and suffocated. Compared to your competition at http://www.buyii.com.au it feels a bit messy. I really think it needs to breathe a bit.

TrishF
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

If it’s not too late – I have some feedback too;

Overall the site looks pretty good, A few points;

I would remove the Adsense from the top spot – that’s very valuable real estate and it should be used by you – I would put a banner about the competition you have (Jamie Oliver saucepans) – I didn’t see that until I scrolled down – most people don’t scroll unless you give them a good reason to stay on the site – and I think that’s a pretty good call to action.

Visitors need to know withing 3 seconds what the site’s about and why they would stay – the competition answers both.

Consider adding a FB like box – I’ve attached an example – this gives social proof to the visitor – if their friends have liked the page, their pic shows up.

Also I would focus your attentions to your FB page – this could be a big niche on FB – consider doing some FB ads and offers etc.

Hope this helps, cheers
    Trish

Divyesh Amipara
    Up

Thanks Trish,

Appreciate your feedback. Especially removing adsense and FB like box.

We are redesigning the website where inputs and suggestions will be considered.

Regards,

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

This is such a competitive market, and as John pointed out, SEO is only a small piece of what needs to be addressed.

Building the site accounts for about 10% of what’s really involved.

Your biggest issue will be having a viable USP.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.