Home – New Forums Selling online My Work Australia webite designers – reviews/feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    ::
    Helen27, post: 180083 wrote:
    Hi all,

I’ve been looking into several different places that design online stores. So far I like the look of My Work Australia the best, low costs, no transaction fees, no data limits etc.

Has anyone actually used these guys and can provide some real feedback about them? I have seen the online reviews, which were mainly all great, and the few that weren’t were still ok, with only a couple of complaints about it taking longer for them than expected.

Anyone use other developers that you loved and think I should have a look at?

TIA!
    Hi Helen

I’d separate out the website design/development from the hosting. This gives you better flexibility and ability to leave the web dev company in the future.

Web design is critical – the development is simply the coding of that design. The design is important because the best coding can’t make up for poor sales funnels on your website.

I’m not talking about colours or how ‘pretty’ your site looks. I’m specifically talking about how clear your messaging is.

If you start working with a website dev company, and they want you to pick the theme first, before you have your messaging (words) together, then you should move on.

Start with the words, then ask the web company to design around that messaging, to best reach your desired audience.

Jenny

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 180656 wrote:
    I’d separate out the website design/development from the hosting. This gives you better flexibility and ability to leave the web dev company in the future.

Hello Jenny I have to take some time to comment on your post. I can’t agree with much of what you have written.

Why are we seeing an increasing usage of SaaS and all in one type solutions that include everything including hosting?

It is because most business people want to run a business and not have to be concerned about the individual components of their websites and online stores. Having everything done by one company takes away the finger pointing and reduces support issues. Separating hosting actually leads to less flexibility and more cost. Most of the hosted solutions now come with excellent import / export capabilities to allow for the move to new or different technology. What we see is that customers generally stick with the same provider for 3 – 5 years. We have some customers that have been with us for 10 years.

Web design is critical – the development is simply the coding of that design

Wow here is a way to upset a lot of web developers really quickly. It is also an indicator that you really don’t understand this very well.

There is a lot more to a website or online store than the design. The user experience (i.e. the design) is important but with out the functionality to satisfy the business requirements it is a wast. Maybe you have heard the concept of “form follows function” you can find out more on Wikipedia. It is the core principle behind all modern architecture, industrial engineering and software engineering.

So NO developers don’t just implement a design.

I’m not talking about colours or how ‘pretty’ your site looks. I’m specifically talking about how clear your messaging is.

If you start working with a website dev company, and they want you to pick the theme first, before you have your messaging (words) together, then you should move on.

Start with the words, then ask the web company to design around that messaging, to best reach your desired audience.

Messaging is important but you know that most people don’t read the messaging on a online store. They are looking for a product or service and will revert to messaging if they find what they are looking for. If you have an online store with a couple of thousand products then you will have 1000’s of pages indexed in search engines. One of those is the home page.

People searching for products and service will find those pages and land on your store on a product page and not the home page.

We see people put lots of effort into creating home page content and forget about product and category content which is actually more important if you want to sell stuff.

Maybe I have come across a bit harsh here Jenny and you might have just not explained what you mean.

You should never design around messaging that is a very flat way of looking at a much bigger subject. Websites and online stores need to be built and implemented based on a set of business requirements that fit into a business plan. Design and user experience is one aspect of the requirements.

John

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 180662 wrote:
    Hello Jenny I have to take some time to comment on your post. I can’t agree with much of what you have written.

Why are we seeing an increasing usage of SaaS and all in one type solutions that include everything including hosting?

It is because most business people want to run a business and not have to be concerned about the individual components of their websites and online stores. Having everything done by one company takes away the finger pointing and reduces support issues. Separating hosting actually leads to less flexibility and more cost. Most of the hosted solutions now come with excellent import / export capabilities to allow for the move to new or different technology. What we see is that customers generally stick with the same provider for 3 – 5 years. We have some customers that have been with us for 10 years.

Hi John – I’ve spent many years in IT prior to owning my own businesses. So I’m speaking from a depth of knowledge, from the vendor perspective, as well as the customer.

The problems that are facing many small business owners is that when they choose a solution that is proprietary, built and hosted on that company’s servers, then they are locked into a vendor that may not suit them as they change. Although it is more convenient to choose a one-stop, it isn’t the only way to go.

Wow here is a way to upset a lot of web developers really quickly. It is also an indicator that you really don’t understand this very well.

There is a lot more to a website or online store than the design. The user experience (i.e. the design) is important but with out the functionality to satisfy the business requirements it is a wast. Maybe you have heard the concept of “form follows function” you can find out more on Wikipedia. It is the core principle behind all modern architecture, industrial engineering and software engineering.

So NO developers don’t just implement a design.

When I use the term – developer – I am speaking strictly about the ‘coder’ who isn’t involved in the design elements. Businesses come to me when they are not getting enough sales and leads from their website. The biggest problem I find is that they’ve jumped into a website dev. without considering the WHO, the WHY, and the HOW.

So I’d say we essentially agree on this.

However, if you don’t get the Home Page right, it really doesn’t matter much what comes after that.

The Home Page is the beginning of your sales funnel. All roads lead from there.

Messaging on the Home Page is critical – and if you design a Home Page without knowing what the message is that needs to be delivered, how does that work?

Messaging is important but you know that most people don’t read the messaging on a online store.

They are looking for a product or service and will revert to messaging if they find what they are looking for. If you have an online store with a couple of thousand products then you will have 1000’s of pages indexed in search engines. One of those is the home page.

People searching for products and service will find those pages and land on your store on a product page and not the home page. not necessarily

We see people put lots of effort into creating home page content and forget about product and category content which is actually more important if you want to sell stuff.

I didn’t say, or imply, that you shouldn’t pay attention to all areas. I agree with you.

Maybe I have come across a bit harsh here Jenny and you might have just not explained what you mean.

You should never design around messaging that is a very flat way of looking at a much bigger subject. Websites and online stores need to be built and implemented based on a set of business requirements that fit into a business plan. Design and user experience is one aspect of the requirements.
    I agree – of course I assumed that this was implied. I’ll be more explicit next time.
    John

jenny

Brian Cleary
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I think another one worth looking at here is:
    http://www.bigcommerce.com
    Reasons being that it is Australian,
    has tons of apps and/or add ons,
    is reasonably priced,
    has no downloads which means you can access it on any computer,
    has good customer service with technical help and
    is easy to use.
    Check it out!
    As recommended and used by our office manager!

Steve Brunchall
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Just jumping in here to give Mywork some praise. They designed my partners site about six months ago and the service has been second to none. If you want yor sure built in Australia at a good price you can’t go past them.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Steve Brunchall, post: 214351, member: 67436 wrote:
    Just jumping in here to give Mywork some praise. They designed my partners site about six months ago and the service has been second to none. If you want yor sure built in Australia at a good price you can’t go past them.
    Hi Steve, Do you mind putting up the website link, so that others who may be interested in going down that path can have a browse. A first time poster, recommending a company would be nice to see what you are basing your recommendation on.
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Also, thread is really over 12 months old.. sounds like a rehash for a promo rather than good intent :) so any backup information would be pretty helpful to ANYONE considering a newer persons posts..

Cheers
    Jason

bb1, post: 214355, member: 53375 wrote:
    Hi Steve, Do you mind putting up the website link, so that others who may be interested in going down that path can have a browse. A first time poster, recommending a company would be nice to see what you are basing your recommendation on.
    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bb1
    Participant
    Up
    HarryLuke Logistics, post: 214365, member: 34537 wrote:
    Also, thread is really over 12 months old.. sounds like a rehash for a promo rather than good intent :) so any backup information would be pretty helpful to ANYONE considering a newer persons posts..

Cheers
    Jason

LOL Jason, That was my thoughts as well but I didn’t want to be so direct about. Really a first time poster making a recommendation like that. Oh well he may come back with his web link, now when is xmas again

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    bb1, post: 214389, member: 53375 wrote:
    LOL Jason, That was my thoughts as well but I didn’t want to be so direct about. Really a first time poster making a recommendation like that. Oh well he may come back with his web link, now when is xmas again

Oh shoot, i was trying to be tactful.. oops :rolleyes:

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bb1
    Participant
    Up
    HarryLuke Logistics, post: 214391, member: 34537 wrote:
    Oh shoot, i was trying to be tactful.. oops :rolleyes:
    oh well next time maybe
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.