Home – New Forums Tech talk MYOB – Charging for updates?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    ::

Ok, so I’ve recently moved over to MYOB.

I just got a letter in the mail stating the following:

That if I want to receive updates to the software, I need to pay an aditional $400 for 12 months + $50 per month for support.

That is ridiculous! I can understand the support costs (actually no I can’t, I waited on hold for 30 minutes) but $400 more to pay for UPDATES! No software I know of does that.

Pfft, wish I’d known the pitfalls of this program before I bought it.

– Jake

jasonm
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

I must have got the same letter but didn’t read it properly, I though it was $400 for 12 months support. The software is fairly easy to navigate, the only reason I could see that I would need support is in how I account for things for my particular business, and I’d rather deal with my particular accountant for that.

MYOB also have a latest version guarantee or something where you can upgrade to the latest version of your chosen software up to 3 months from purchase.

I had downloaded accounting plus 18.5 and used for the free 3 month trial. It fit so I bought it but when I went to the store they only had ver 18. No problems with the registration and I have just received notification that I can upgrade to ver 19 for free.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

@ Chris – I know, all I’ve heard is good things about it.

@Powerprotect – Latest version only after 3 months of purchase is still pretty bad.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

My theory on Xero, being a subscription service – is that it’s probably going to cost me the same amount in purchasing MYOB Upgrades… In addition to the extra time it would take me to do my bookwork in MYOB.

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 32844 wrote:
    My theory on Xero, being a subscription service – is that it’s probably going to cost me the same amount in purchasing MYOB Upgrades… In addition to the extra time it would take me to do my bookwork in MYOB.

Exactly what Chris said. Xero will end up costing less overall.

Accountix
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

If you don’t pay the additional money, your myob product should still continue to work though, you just won’t receive any updates or new PAYG withholding tax tables.

Shane Holbeck
    Accountix
    http://www.accountix.com.au

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Thats right Shane,

For the most part support is unnecessary. Tax tables updating are useful when you are paying wages, though as we are on Flying Solo, it would suggest that the only wage is your own. You can use other free tax tables and manually adjust pays when you enter them. I do – it takes an extra couple of minutes per month.

Kev

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

I’m pretty much the same as Kevin, just work it out manually. I haven’t updated MYOB for about four years.

I’ll probably buy an update in the next year or so, just to get increased functionality as apparently the new versions are easier to use.

sleepyoz
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

The only reason it is really necessary to pay for upgrade/support through the cover subscription is to keep up with legislative changes/PAYG-W

Many of the feature releases are minor however next year the program is moving to SQL finally

I would suggest that you search for a good MYOB Certified Consultant in your area – and use this person as your support mechanism – Certified Consultants can assist with training, setup, customisation of templates, upgrades etc

As with all software the devil is in the setup – get this right and you should have little problem navigating the software

Xero is an excellent program and MYOB will be releasing Live Accounts (similar to Xero in functionality in the very near future – MYOB recently also signed a supply agreement with Banklink and this should flow through to future software releases

I am happy to assist remotely :)

Leanne Berry
    MYOB Certified Consultant
    MYOB Partner Advisory Group Member

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Re: MYOB – Charging for updates?! Mac & PC in new version

I downloaded the latest version of the Mac from MYOB – Account Edge v9 and compared it with the new MYOB Account Right Plus for PC – they are identical. I even opened the same file in both programs. You just have to remember to put the extension on the Mac version .myo.

I prefer having everything on my Mac and this new version is ideal. I even checked with MYOB and my accountant who always upgrades but uses a PC, and this is great. So Mac users, the new Account Edge v9 is well worth getting and I’m so glad my Mac file will open in my accountant’s version now.

If you need to log time on a job – this new version also has Timesheet billing – you press a button when you begin a job, stop it when you have a break and keep doing that till you build up the time. It saves the time for you. It works really well. The trial versions last 3 months if you want to test them out.

http://www.myob.com.au

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

It has been possible to open MAC files on a PC for quite some time now. The process has been the same as you mentioned.

I think the original point of the thread was that to remain up to date there is a considerable cost involved. Yes you can not upgrade for a few years but this relies on your accountant keeping many years of versions of the program.

The new Accounts Right series looks exactly like the Mac version even down to the icons. It also has the new “Business Insights” dashboard that is not dynamic and runs as a separate program (but from within MYOB). It has some good information in it but you cannot dig deeper into the numbers and as I mentioned not dynamic so its use is somewhat restricted.

akagrp
    • Total posts: 315
    Up

Hello Guys

The truth is all software company’s do the same, they start of cheap and every year the increase the subscription cost, though I am surprised about the extra $50 a month in support in addition to $400 I have not seen that letter as we are professional partners and I know they have increased our fees.

MYOB is also a pain forcing us to pay extra when we add a client we handle inhouse.

Agree with comments above, review and determine if cost is worth it.

As an accountant I know we aim to support clients as long as there file is not too old normally four years, as it causes drama inhouse having to train new staff in an old system and new system.

sabretooth
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Tax table update for myob, yes that has been a bit of a problem.

I operate a very small business and find i can’t justify the fees that myob charge for an upgrade. In my case, i have managed to keep using my myob accounting plus version 13 running as i only require the tax table update. Other information that is in the myob upgrade i find i don’t need as my accountant takes care of that.

If the tax table update is all you require, then you can download the file from http://www.transglobemediaproducts.com

Hope this info is useful to some of you at least.

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Ditto Leanne’s comments below.

I would also like to say Leanne is one of the top MYOB Certified Consultants in Australia – she has many years of experience, in-depth knowledge, is always very helpful and is nice to boot.

You could not do better than Leanne.

sleepyoz, post: 33364 wrote:
    The only reason it is really necessary to pay for upgrade/support through the cover subscription is to keep up with legislative changes/PAYG-W

Many of the feature releases are minor however next year the program is moving to SQL finally

I would suggest that you search for a good MYOB Certified Consultant in your area – and use this person as your support mechanism – Certified Consultants can assist with training, setup, customisation of templates, upgrades etc

As with all software the devil is in the setup – get this right and you should have little problem navigating the software

Xero is an excellent program and MYOB will be releasing Live Accounts (similar to Xero in functionality in the very near future – MYOB recently also signed a supply agreement with Banklink and this should flow through to future software releases

I am happy to assist remotely :)

Leanne Berry
    MYOB Certified Consultant
    MYOB Partner Advisory Group Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.