Home – New Forums Starting your journey Naming a business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Christina2590
    • Total posts: 89
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get everyone’s opinion on how to choose a business name.

I am creating a skincare line and have come up with a name. The name I have chosen is Hawaiian. I picked this due to its meaning and the fact that I have been to Hawaii a few times and love it.

After thinking about it I thought to myself, should I be choosing a different name, something that when it’s said gives a person a little insight into what the company/product is?

Do you think it really matters or not so much?

Also would anyone have any good suggestions on a business name?

shart
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Hi Christina,

I would suggest coming up with something unique so it stands out and people can identify with your specific products.
    In regards to giving insight about your product through your name, it could become quite cumbersome and you could loose the appeal for your name. you could always talk about the meaning behind the name in your brochure or website for people to read which would make it seem more personal for your customers.

Good luck!

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Another vote for a unique name that comes with it’s own story here.

I would also try to choose something that has a domain name that is available. Preferably a .com

Good luck

MichaelF
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Unique, easy to spell, easy to tell a friend about it.

Keep it simple, short and sweet!

Christina2590
    Up

Thanks for your input everyone.

I just was not sure if I should go with something boring like Pure + Natural or something a little more different so I am glad that you all agree with the unique route

mariandviv
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Further to Paul’s comment regarding ensuring the domain name is available, search the Australia IP trade mark register, the ASIC business names register and of lesser importance, the ASIC company register to ensure the name is available. We also checked whether the names were taken or not for instagram and facebook.

Rohan@TD
    • Total posts: 164
    Up

[USER=57952]@Christina2590[/USER] – Remember your company and product name can differ. If you’re creating a skincare line, you’ll likely develop a number of products. You want a name you’re happy with, resonates as trustworthy with your target market, reflects your product offerings and has been screened through [USER=83516]@mariandviv[/USER] ‘s list.

Christina2590
    Up

Thanks again everyone

I have decided I am going to go down the unique route which brings me to my next question.

which domain name does everyone think I should go for??

?????naturals.com

or

????skincare.com

personally I’m not a massive fan of the skincare one but i feel like if I use ????naturals.com it doesn’t really let people know what the company is if that makes sense.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    Up
    Christina2590, post: 237346, member: 57952 wrote:
    Thanks again everyone

I have decided I am going to go down the unique route which brings me to my next question.

which domain name does everyone think I should go for??

?????naturals.com

or

????skincare.com

personally I’m not a massive fan of the skincare one but i feel like if I use ????naturals.com it doesn’t really let people know what the company is if that makes sense.
    I am pretty sure both of your choices will have already been taken. You can check on any domain seller such as godaddy.com

Christina2590
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 237349, member: 78928 wrote:
    I am pretty sure both of your choices will have already been taken. You can check on any domain seller such as godaddy.com

Actually both the options I have choosen are available, its just a matter or picking which version is more suitable

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    Up
    Christina2590, post: 237350, member: 57952 wrote:
    Actually both the options I have choosen are available, its just a matter or picking which version is more suitable
    Ooops. I read it without the question marks in front – naturals is more descriptive and will appeal to those on the look out for a range that will not harm them. It would be my pick.
    Christina2590
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 237356, member: 78928 wrote:
    Ooops. I read it without the question marks in front – naturals is more descriptive and will appeal to those on the look out for a range that will not harm them. It would be my pick.
    oh okay thank you, it was more my favourite as I was planning on using natural products so I think it fits a lot better
    Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Ok, I cannot dispute any of the advice above, but I do offer some counter advice that may or may not be used by you or others reading this when choosing new business names.
    Over the last 40 years I have noticed a massive dumbing down of people and customers (same thing?).
    In years past, people recognized and remembered brands and that was fine. Nowadays people are so overloaded with information that they have trouble remembering most things, including brand names. But so far they still remember the names of products they seek (e.g. skin care).
    Added to this is the thing called Google which now permeates every aspect of our lives, including online and search and people often search for a product type rather than a brand.
    This most people do several times a day and even via their “smartphones”.
    Notwithstanding never ending changes in algorithms, long term an exact match brand name or domain, is more likely to be found than a disconnected made up name (everything else being equal) (e.g. XXXskincare dot com versus XXXagwapswkksksks dot com).
    So you may want to ask yourself, how much of your business and repeat business do you hope to get from online search and if it is a significant amount, then you may want to look at getting a domain and/or brand name that incorporates exactly what you sell to make it easier for people to find you.
    All the best

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

go for something short & brandable and in the .com.au space

Cheers
    Corey

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.