Home – New Forums Logistics Need a solution to courier problem! Adelaide/Fleurieu & Fastway

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    csundberg
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

Later this year I will be opening a retail store selling furniture & homewares in Strathalbyn, SA, 5255 and also an online store selling some of our decor pieces (vases, frames, lamps, cushions, objects).

The issue I have is that a lot of our products will not fit in the standard Aust Post pre-paid boxes, and becomes far too expensive to ship around australia.

I really like Fastway, with their flat rates, but they have told me they don’t collect from Strathalbyn. And their depot is almost an hour and a half away, which makes it difficult/costly to drop our parcels to them on a regular basis.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?
    Should I look at paying another courier to drop my parcels from my store to the depot?
    Drive them to the depot myself?
    could I organise to meet the courier at the closest possible location?

or does anyone know of another courier company with similar rates that services Strathalbyn?

We are also building our online store with Woocommerce, so having a calculator plugin like fast way does is a huge draw card.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Other than look around on the net for a courier that picks up from your location, at this point you may have to get a private courier to drop of to fast way.

Yes I know this increases your cost of doing business but you may have to put up with this short term until you build your client base.

Once you have the numbers, fast way will then be interested.

Doing it yourself is not really the best way as it takes you away from running your business.

P.S. welcome from another adelaideion

csundberg
    Up

Thanks Tony!

The other option I thought of is maybe asking if they would take a fee in return for picking up from our location, I believe they collect from Mt. Barker which is only 20mins up the road, is this something worth asking or completely out of the picture?

The other option is for myself to deliver the parcels to a family members house, who is home quite regularly, who i believe is in Fastways local pickup area, we would be going there once or twice a week anyway. And have fast way collect from there.

Just throwing around ideas, I am going to give them a call later today or tomorrow and see if there is any chance of working out something without getting another courier involved.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

That’s a great idea to ask. You never know if you don’t ask. Once again, dropping them off would be ok short term, but not really a great idea once your business grows.

csundberg
    Up

So I gave Fastway Adelaide a call, and spoke to a girl who seemed quite dismissive of trying to come up with a solution.

I suggested myself driving to Mt. Barker in the morning and meeting the driver, as their website says they start their route there at 8am, but apparently their days can change, so the driver isn’t always there at that time. And I would need to have an permanent address with someone there for the good part of the day for pickup.

Then she suggested that if I am going to go to the trouble of driving to Mt. Barker, then I may as well drive into Adelaide to their depot which is on the other side of the city and a further 45 minutes away (which she said would only take 10 mins).

Maybe I should have asked to speak to someone with more authority?

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

With coureir companies the times the drivers hit areas vary in accordance with the days bookings so having a set time to meet you would be impossible for the driver. With Fastway they have a small margin of profit (just ask the drivers) so they can’t afford not be flat out all day.

You may have to look at a National carrier that does not necessarily have a flat rate but at least services you area as when you add all the exra running aound or another local carrier to the mix find the pricing may be better so that you can focus on what you do best and that is sell.

Cheers

Pete

csundberg
    Up

Thanks for the reply Pete!

I think I am back where I started, giving up on Fastway all together, as you said the extra running around, cost to have a third party in the mix doesn’t make much sense.

But unfortunately, due to our area I think that really only leaves us with Australia Post.

Petemac
    Up

I might have a couple of carrier partners who may be able to assist as I know they service Strathalbyn. Best if you can give me a call on 0418 698 626 so I can ask the questions needed to see if I can assist.

Cheers

Pete

csundberg
    Up

Thanks for the offer Pete, but I think I’ve decided on Australia Post, using click and send, pre paid parcels + boxes.

We would offer a $15 flat rate fee within Australia, the boxes/parcels come to 2-3 $ each plus the flat rate shipping, so for smaller items we may win some and a little larger lose a little, but I think in the long run they’ll even each other out.

We would then also offer at checkout the option to add Signature on delivery, which would be a charge to the customer.

And for our items that we consider to be “bulky items” we would have an additional surcharge of 5-10 $ added for each “bulky” item added to the cart. Which should cover additional shipping fees.

I think we’ve come to the right decision, as most shoppers like to know up front what they’re going to be hit for shipping, I think it will do us more of a service having the cost displayed upfront than what it would in losing a dollar here or there.

I may be wrong, but at least to begin with I think it will suffice.

Thanks again!

Petemac
    Up

No worries. Out of curiosity what is the weght range of your packages?

Cheers

csundberg
    Up

We’ll we will be selling items ranging from a set of coasters and cushions to bases and table lamps. The problem I ran into wasn’t really the actual weight but more the cubed weight of the parcels.

I was hoping to be able to sell mirrors, stools etc, but the cubed weight of these items makes them very expensive to ship. Even though the actual weight would be 10kg or less generally.

on average around 2-4 kg per parcel but anywhere from 500g – 10kg actual weight.

Petemac
    Up

Even though I am not based in SA through our online booking system you have access to multiple carriers depending on what best suit your needs.If you have a look at the company web site it will give you an idea how I might be able to help. http://www.inxpress.com.au

Cheers

Pete

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.