Home – New Forums Other discussions need advice for negative client comments to a prospective client

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ArinaWeb
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

hi
    I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me.

I regrettable continued to work with a very difficult and narcissistic client. She had been to 3-4 developers before us. We saved her bacon a number of times with problems with her website. We then rebuilt her site, it looks great. But there were problems with her web hosting company and in the middle of uploading the new site she moved hosts causing a number of problems for us. I decided I could no longer work for her, and my business partner thought she was crazy anyway so we call it quits.

A long story short, she is now is claiming we where incapable to do the job and refuses to pay our invoice in full. The invoice was as quoted plus some of (not all) the additional work we did.

Not only can’t I get the remaining monies owed to us but I am pretty sure she has discredited us with negative comments to a prospective client, someone I would like to work with.

The prospective client had contact us as she had seen the above website and really like what we had done. She was suppose to call us over 2 weeks ago to make an appointment to discuss her project but I haven’t heard back from her.

I don’t know what to do, whether to call her regarding the meeting or just hope that she will call. And what if she hasn’t called because of the negative comments of our ex-client.

I have been in business for over 25 years and we work really had to give our clients a good service and most of our work comes from recommendations.

I have never had to deal with this sort of problem before and would really appreciate any advice.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi charlene123,

That’s a tough one. I really feel for you and will be interested to learn how the other web folk around here suggest you tackle it.

In the meantime, thanks for joining the forum today – I hope you enjoy being part of our merry crew.

Jayne

MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308
    Up

I feel for you too. At some point, I would bite the bullet and call the prospect – probably about now – just a quick, touch base call – “What are your thoughts on…? or Where in the process are you at with your decision making?

Ultimately, you are far better off knowing where you stand and if you are being rubbished by cray-cray and if there is any chance to remove the attribution on their site, do so quickly to avoid further damage.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Firstly the only way you will ever know is to ring the prospect, you may be reading the wrong thing into it, and they just don’t want to proceed for a multitude of other reasons. Bite the bullet, get on the phone and find out.

In regards to your other client, I can see their point of view, if you have failed to deliver, I would be reluctant to hand over my hard earned cash as well. BUT if you believe you have delivered, than you need to take action in regards to recovering the money.

the first thing I see from your post, is that you have resorted to name calling, first big mistake, and to me that points to other issues as well. Move on handle it like a professional.

ArinaWeb
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

hi – we did take action through a solicitor and have received the all the funds now. We did deliver the job plus more. And yes I agree there are often many reason why clients are delayed in their action. But she has unfortunately gone elsewhere, a free service, so hard to know if this may have prompted her to go elsewhere.

It was never my intention to name call, I general don’t talk out if turn about anyone but as my experience with her was not unique and another two suppliers conclusion was the same as ours, I didn’t consider my words as name calling but actually fact.

It was a very hard decision for me to post this on a forum, after 30yrs in my profession, I was looking for advice from others who may have has a similar experience.

Kim McFayden
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Glad to hear you got your money in the end. It can be hard sometimes to sack customers but such a sanity saver to get rid of crazies. Usually best done after you’ve been paid if you’re owed a lot of money ;) If you haven’t already got a formal agreement in place with each client I would get that organised to make debt recovery more streamlined.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.