Home – New Forums Starting your journey Need Advice For Starting Importing Business

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #995598
    Riv
    Member
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all!

    I’m looking into starting a business importing frozen (if possible, powdered if not) wild berries from the USA or Canada into Australia, packaging them, and marketing them.

    I guess it is not truly an “importing” business, but this is the aspect that most confuses me about the idea.

    I am currently working on a business plan, but I am not aware of everything that would be involved.

    I have found some wholesale suppliers of the berries but I’m not sure of the process of getting them here, and basically everything else!

    I’m just in the baby stages of planning. Any information that any one has on importing goods (especially frozen foods) into Australia or just on this type of business in general would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you!

    River

    #1202871
    Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi River, thanks for joining the forums and posting here.

    Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some on-point advice.

    Cheers

    #1202872
    Mischelle
    Member
    • Total posts: 805
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi River,

    Welcome, and below are some links to give you some reference points on the regulations and permits etc. Spend some time reading them and any guides or codes linked on these pages.

    http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/goods/food
    http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/goods/food/info-for-food-importers
    http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/importedfoods/pages/default.aspx
    https://www.business.gov.au/info/run/import-and-export

    Happy reading, there are many more, but I think that is enough to give you a basic understanding.

    Cheers
    Mischelle

    #1202873
    Rohan@TD
    Member
    • Total posts: 164
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi River,

    Mischelle has provided a great list above covering some key information sources on starting an importing business. The advice I’ll quickly add to it:

    • Download the Business.gov.au Starting a business checklist. This guide provides some information on the key requirements when setting up any business. Page 41 specifically covers importing. When you are writing your action plan, including the items from the checklist will cover the broad requirements.
    • Check with your local council. Two key reasons. Firstly, each council has different regulations about setting up a business at home (I assume you’re starting at home), so it’s important to check with them to confirm if they have any different requirements then those included in the above checklist. Secondly, if you are repackaging food (at all) you may meet your local councils requirements to operate from a commercial kitchen or one specifically inspected by a certifying authority. Even if you are not, since you are working with food it’s also good to have a basic understanding of the broad requirements, local regulations and laws.
    • Seek some advice from importers on here, specifically those who regularly work with food.
    • Finally, write some flexibility into your business plan. As you start you will learn alot and continue to develop it and your business over time. You can test markets, packing, importers, distribution networks, supply chain practices, ecommerce sites etc. and adjust them once you have better understanding of your business and the market. Don’t pay anybody to write your business plan for you, but don’t be afraid to have somebody work with you on it or review it for you. Get some guidance on what needs to be included (and what needs to be involved) by downloading some free / actual business plans from the internet to use as a guide.

    Hopefully the above helped a little.

    #1202874
    Riv
    Member
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    0
    ::
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 240654, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi River, thanks for joining the forums and posting here.

    Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some on-point advice.

    Cheers
    Thanks for the welcome Paul!

    #1202875
    Riv
    Member
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    0
    ::
    Mischelle, post: 240663, member: 60404 wrote:
    Hi River,

    Welcome, and below are some links to give you some reference points on the regulations and permits etc. Spend some time reading them and any guides or codes linked on these pages.

    http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/goods/food
    http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/goods/food/info-for-food-importers
    http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/importedfoods/pages/default.aspx
    https://www.business.gov.au/info/run/import-and-export

    Happy reading, there are many more, but I think that is enough to give you a basic understanding.

    Cheers
    Mischelle
    Hi Mischelle, those links have already been super helpful. I will make sure to give them a thorough read. Thanks so much!

    #1202876
    Riv
    Member
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    0
    ::
    Rohan@TD, post: 240730, member: 78618 wrote:
    Hi River,

    Mischelle has provided a great list above covering some key information sources on starting an importing business. The advice I’ll quickly add to it:

    • Download the Business.gov.au Starting a business checklist. This guide provides some information on the key requirements when setting up any business. Page 41 specifically covers importing. When you are writing your action plan, including the items from the checklist will cover the broad requirements.
    • Check with your local council. Two key reasons. Firstly, each council has different regulations about setting up a business at home (I assume you’re starting at home), so it’s important to check with them to confirm if they have any different requirements then those included in the above checklist. Secondly, if you are repackaging food (at all) you may meet your local councils requirements to operate from a commercial kitchen or one specifically inspected by a certifying authority. Even if you are not, since you are working with food it’s also good to have a basic understanding of the broad requirements, local regulations and laws.
    • Seek some advice from importers on here, specifically those who regularly work with food.
    • Finally, write some flexibility into your business plan. As you start you will learn alot and continue to develop it and your business over time. You can test markets, packing, importers, distribution networks, supply chain practices, ecommerce sites etc. and adjust them once you have better understanding of your business and the market. Don’t pay anybody to write your business plan for you, but don’t be afraid to have somebody work with you on it or review if for you. Get some guidance on what needs to be included (and what needs to be involved) by downloading some free / actual business plans from the internet to use as a guide.

    Hopefully the above helped a little.
    That is the perfect advice that I need at this stage. I’m so grateful. Thank you so much Rohan!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.