Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Need advice on how to handle Tyre Kickers/Price Shoppers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Extraordinary You
    • Total posts: 52
    Up
    ::

Hi everybody,

Need some advice from fellow small business owners of how they handle tyre kickers & price shoppers. This is one of the things I hate dealing with, people who are not genuine about the services I provide and just call to get free information or try and compare me to the competition based on price.

Any suggestions & advice would be welcome as to what works for you.

Thank you

Gina

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Get used to it, that’s business, and be extremely thankful they don’t hire you, as the price shoppers are the clients who will give you the most grieve

Extraordinary You
    Up

Thanks Bert

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi Gina,

I think that if you create your brand story expertly, you can “flip the script” so that you are choosing which customers to work with rather than the other way around.

Including your prices in your copy is one way of eliminating bargain hunters – or attracting them if you desire. But that is only one element of the equation.

If you can point me to some of your copy, I would happily take a look.

Cheers

Extraordinary You
    Up

Thanks Paul, please feel free to have a look at my website copy at http://www.extraordinaryyou.com.au. I have tried to be specific on the contact us page and the home page to attract authentic and genuine clients.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    Up

Hi Gina,

You have done a good job doing the kind of “standard” website – it is comprehensive but there is a whole “next level” you have missed out on.

For example, this is pretty standard copy – you see it everywhere, so please do not feel bad about it.

“Without Personalised Career Development you can potentially be spending thousands in education fees, years of your life studying something that has no meaning or purpose to you and possibly missing out on earning income.

Your business is ideally suited to adopt a story telling (case study) approach –

Eg,

Allan almost made a terrible mistake.

He realised he was about to commit 3 years of his life to a course he knew he would never use after uni. And he would be shackled to a a $40,000 HECS debt he had doubts about ever being able to repay.

Being “gifted” is so much harder than being average – Alan often thought his gift was more like an Albatross……”

Please excuse my writing but I hope you can see where I was headed with Alan?

After the story, there would be a call to action – eg, call now to book your place in the “Escaping the Albatross Course” Price – $400

This kind of thing:

Latest Review
    “I would recommend Gina to anyone that has a concern for their child leaving school. I found Gina to be professional and informative and would recommend her services”. Alan (parent), Greater Western Sydney, son completed Gifted & Talented High School package

Could be replaced with this kind of thing –

Gina is a parents best friend!

“We were so worried about the direction Alan was going to take. Sometimes he seemed tormented and depressed. As parents we were scared for him and knew that he had issues that we were not equipped for…..

These are the kind of comments that you can honestly elicit from grateful parents.

I hope some of the above makes sense and give you some thinking points.

If done well, I imagine that you might be able to stop the tyre kickers and raise your prices.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Extraordinary You
    Up

Thank you Paul for all of the above suggestions, I will certainly start to rethink my copy based on the first half of your suggestions. In terms of the reviews, I cannot change those as these are actual authentic reviews from my clients word for word that come from a survey where they provide feedback. All testimonials are actual true words from clients and this gives potential clients social proof to the authenticity of the services I provide.

Gina

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Extraordinary You, post: 255957, member: 11666 wrote:
    Thank you Paul for all of the above suggestions, I will certainly start to rethink my copy based on the first half of your suggestions. In terms of the reviews, I cannot change those as these are actual authentic reviews from my clients word for word that come from a survey where they provide feedback. All testimonials are actual true words from clients and this gives potential clients social proof to the authenticity of the services I provide.

Gina

Gina, It’s good to see a business person with principal, its a shame that FS are advocating the changing of reviews or even suggesting that you elicit a change. Reviews should be genuinely what the reviewer thinks, not what you want them to say.. That’s why no one believes reviews anymore.

Extraordinary You
    Up

Thanks Bert for your comment, I am very proud of the feedback I get from clients and you can now understand why I hate dealing with price shoppers. I always aim for excellence in what I do but just need to find more clients who want that and can see the difference out in the marketplace. One of my reasons for making my own career change from chartered accounting into career development was to provide individuals with a comprehensive and authentic service as I think we have lost that generally.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    Up

Hey Bert and Gina, please do not take my comments out of context.

Here is the salient part of my comments – “These are the kind of comments that you can honestly elicit from grateful parents.”.

I am an ex Youth Worker and was lucky enough to create life changing and sometimes even life saving moments with many clients. And career development was part of my box of tricks.

If Gina’s form is producing “bland” testimonials, then she could perhaps get on the phone to parents and ask questions like, “What place did you find yourself in before you got your child some help?”, How did you feel as a parent?, How did your child see their future?

If you are good at human services and you effect substantial change in the lives of your customers (and their parents in this case), it is easy to get great, genuine testimonials.

Use the right format eg, phone, post session feedback and ask the right questions.

From a marketing perspective, the testimonials become a part of the brand story.

And a good brand story solves people actual problems.

Impugning Flying Solos integrity is not helpful. But it is hurtful (to me personally) so please stop.

Extraordinary You
    Up

All good Paul, thank you for explaining that. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Your recommendation to ask questions directly rather than receive them by form is very useful and a new approach I had not thought of, so thank you.
    Gina

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Gina,

This is s common issue faced by freelancers in all industries. While it can be uncomfortable, I recommend clarifying the money issue very early to filter out tyre kickers.

In my copywriting business I would often get emails “Hi, I’m contacting you for a quote for XYZ.” Sometimes the email didn’t even include my name and it seemed they’d have sent off the question to everyone they could Google!

In my experience, these projects rarely materialise and are generally from people shopping around for the cheapest deal or just researching. By all means send off a quick proposal, but don’t invest much time to start with.

It’s the same with people who want to meet up for coffee or tee up a call to chat without any clarity on what they’re after and how much it costs. It’s easy to burn a lot of time.

Whether it’s an email template, standard document or verbal script, I think a good first response that is a clear and confident outline of how you work, and how the fees work. 50% of the time I found that I never heard anything more after that, which saved a lot of time with people who weren’t ideal clients :)

You’ll always get general enquires like this which is fine, so it’s just about having a quick/clear process that weeds out the people who aren’t suited.

Hope that helps!
    Peter

Extraordinary You
    Up

Thank you Peter for your comment. Yes, I have received the blanket email too and you can usually pick it, but when they ring it’s not so obvious. I will use your strategy when picking up the phone.

Gina

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    Extraordinary You, post: 255985, member: 11666 wrote:
    Thank you Peter for your comment. Yes, I have received the blanket email too and you can usually pick it, but when they ring it’s not so obvious. I will use your strategy when picking up the phone. Gina
    I’m much braver over email :)
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.