Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Need an outsider perspective on our website

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1183697
    Corporate escapee
    Member
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    0
    ::

    Very nice indeed. My only criticism would be that the use of the word “modern” in your tagline sounds rather old-fashioned! Is it necessary?

    One other minor quibble: I think the free gift (tautology alert!) offer is being undersold on the homepage. It’s a really good offer, but your coyness about what it is (requiring user to click through) seems a bit gimmicky and not in keeping with the classy and open vibe you’ve created with the website generally. I think I’d be more upfront about it being a free website review. My instincts told me not to click on it because it would be something dumb like a free ebook…

    #1183698
    angelarodgers
    Member
    • Total posts: 180
    Up
    0
    ::
    Corporate escapee, post: 215614, member: 64428 wrote:
    Very nice indeed. My only criticism would be that the use of the word “modern” in your tagline sounds rather old-fashioned! Is it necessary?

    One other minor quibble: I think the free gift (tautology alert!) offer is being undersold on the homepage. It’s a really good offer, but your coyness about what it is (requiring user to click through) seems a bit gimmicky and not in keeping with the classy and open vibe you’ve created with the website generally. I think I’d be more upfront about it being a free website review. My instincts told me not to click on it because it would be something dumb like a free ebook…

    Hello!! Wow, thank you so much for the incredible feedback. I really appreciate the honest critique! It hadn’t occurred to me about the word “modern” but you’re probably right… besides, it is better to show than tell, right? If our website doesn’t scream “modern”, we’ve got a problem!

    You’re totally right about the free gift. Haha, I too am over free ebooks… who has time to read them anyway? The reason why I didn’t describe it in more detail was because I planned to change our “free gift” offering regularly. Now that you mention it, I may as well be more upfront about what that gift is and just change my copy when the gift changes. Duh! :-).

    Thanks so much for all of this. It’s so valuable to have another opinion and to have some things pulled up that I’d missed.

    Much appreciated,

    Angela

    #1183699
    The Profit People
    Member
    • Total posts: 76
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Angela,

    Firstly, can I commend you on your genuine posts on this forum to help people. They are not only well written but your responses are well structured and thought out.

    Overall congratulations on what you have put together.

    Some more thoughts on your website….
    1. Mobile number as a contact – To me having a mobile number tells me you are a small operation. If you want to be perceived as a bigger operation then you can get a 1300 number from http://www.telecube.com.au as a very minimal cost… like $5 per month I recall.
    2. Home page video – this is a great plus.
    Positives – Good lighting
    Suggested improvements
    Audio could be improved – already mentioned
    Background looks like your lounge room maybe a more professional background would be more appropriate
    Personality – only near the end you both started to smile which was nice. People buy you just as much as your service maybe show a bit more personality and smiles…
    Dress – for me maybe take the dress code up a notch. I have been told by a image consultant that you should try to dress 1 step above your target market.
    Memorise lines – I could see you were using a teleprompter or the like. If you can record in 2 angles then you can keep rolling the film and cut any mistakes out via the editing process. The end product is one smooth video with no mistakes. If you do this then you relax a bit more and record smaller segments without reading off cue cards.
    3. Call to action/ Name collection – I would have your free offer more prominent in the home page fold. (so you can see it without scrolling down.)
    4. Your homepage headline maybe can be a bit more client problem focused. I like the line you wrote “flying blind, without a online marketing strategy in place” we can help you..

    Anyway just some thoughts to consider. No doubt you will do well.

    Cheers
    Michael

    #1183700
    angelarodgers
    Member
    • Total posts: 180
    Up
    0
    ::
    tickgether, post: 216313, member: 67432 wrote:
    Hi Angela,

    Firstly, can I commend you on your genuine posts on this forum to help people. They are not only well written but your responses are well structured and thought out.

    Overall congratulations on what you have put together.

    Some more thoughts on your website….
    1. Mobile number as a contact – To me having a mobile number tells me you are a small operation. If you want to be perceived as a bigger operation then you can get a 1300 number from http://www.telecube.com.au as a very minimal cost… like $5 per month I recall.
    2. Home page video – this is a great plus.
    Positives – Good lighting
    Suggested improvements
    Audio could be improved – already mentioned
    Background looks like your lounge room maybe a more professional background would be more appropriate
    Personality – only near the end you both started to smile which was nice. People buy you just as much as your service maybe show a bit more personality and smiles…
    Dress – for me maybe take the dress code up a notch. I have been told by a image consultant that you should try to dress 1 step above your target market.
    Memorise lines – I could see you were using a teleprompter or the like. If you can record in 2 angles then you can keep rolling the film and cut any mistakes out via the editing process. The end product is one smooth video with no mistakes. If you do this then you relax a bit more and record smaller segments without reading off cue cards.
    3. Call to action/ Name collection – I would have your free offer more prominent in the home page fold. (so you can see it without scrolling down.)
    4. Your homepage headline maybe can be a bit more client problem focused. I like the line you wrote “flying blind, without a online marketing strategy in place” we can help you..

    Anyway just some thoughts to consider. No doubt you will do well.

    Cheers
    Michael

    Hi Michael,

    Oh wow – thank you so much for the valuable input and encouragement! Wonderful tips.

    You are right that we probably appear quite small-time with no 1300 number and a fairly casual video. This is something that I’ve ummed and ahh-ed about. I know the video could be done a LOT better, and it is the weakest point of our home page! We are hoping to re-do it down the track, so I’ll take note of all your excellent pointers and make sure we get it right next time!

    What I’ve recently decided is that I’m okay with being a small business. I’m not going to try and pretend to be “big” anymore, and I’m okay with clients knowing that we work from home. In part, that is the reason why I’ve stuck with the mobile number and put up the amateurish video (for now). You’ve definitely given me something to think about though, that perhaps even small businesses are expected to have these things. Like you said, it’s not expensive, so that’s not the issue at all! :-)

    We’ve got two “Free Gift” buttons visible above the fold, but your feedback tells me they’re not visible enough. Thank you for pointing that out – I will get to work on that ASAP!!

    That’s great food for thought about our home page headline. Time for me to start brainstorming and perhaps split-testing some different options.

    Thank you so much, Michael. Loads of great ideas here! Once again, you are much appreciated!

    Cheers,

    Angela

    #1183701
    Kosta_Kondratenko
    Member
    • Total posts: 108
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Angela,

    Well technically you’re my competition – since I do web development/SEO myself – but screw it, I love giving advice :).

    Anyway here are my thoughts:

    1) The video on your front page – it’s good that you are showing your face and making it more personable – but it could do with some cutaway shots. The video is definately engaging though.

    Honestly though looking over the website there’s no major issues that jump out for me. Everything is very well done.

    Best,
    Kosta
    http://www.headstudios.com.au

    #1183702
    angelarodgers
    Member
    • Total posts: 180
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Kosta!

    Thank you so much for your kind review. I really love your website, by the way. It’s one of the freshest ones I’ve seen for this industry recently! :-)

    Thanks so much for confirming about the video.. you’re right, it could definitely be improved! I’ve got some ideas from your comment and a few of the others above for a remake sometime in the future!

    Thanks again for your very generous advice… even if we are sort of competition. ;-)

    Cheers,

    Angela

    #1183703
    Gormandize.com.au
    Member
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    0
    ::
    angelarodgers, post: 216335, member: 58536 wrote:
    Hi Michael,

    Oh wow – thank you so much for the valuable input and encouragement! Wonderful tips.

    You are right that we probably appear quite small-time with no 1300 number and a fairly casual video. This is something that I’ve ummed and ahh-ed about. I know the video could be done a LOT better, and it is the weakest point of our home page! We are hoping to re-do it down the track, so I’ll take note of all your excellent pointers and make sure we get it right next time!

    What I’ve recently decided is that I’m okay with being a small business. I’m not going to try and pretend to be “big” anymore, and I’m okay with clients knowing that we work from home. In part, that is the reason why I’ve stuck with the mobile number and put up the amateurish video (for now). You’ve definitely given me something to think about though, that perhaps even small businesses are expected to have these things. Like you said, it’s not expensive, so that’s not the issue at all! :)

    We’ve got two “Free Gift” buttons visible above the fold, but your feedback tells me they’re not visible enough. Thank you for pointing that out – I will get to work on that ASAP!!

    That’s great food for thought about our home page headline. Time for me to start brainstorming and perhaps split-testing some different options.

    Thank you so much, Michael. Loads of great ideas here! Once again, you are much appreciated!

    Cheers,

    Angela

    Hi Angela,

    I wanted to add to the phone number point. I have exactly the same opinion as Michael.

    I have personally tried to call twice your number with no success.

    Flicked uses Zintel and it is $25/month and about $200 for the original setup with the professional recording.

    What you get for this price is:

    – 1800 number diverted to your mobile or home phone
    – Call whisper will announce when the call comes from your toll free number
    – Professionally recorded greeting (you can have a different greeting after hours telling customers that you are opened from 9am -5pm
    – Voicemail to email

    Feel free to try and call 1800 FLICKED :)

    #1183704
    tanyaau
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::

    website has great design and pages are also good, try to add blog posts with more different keywords related to your website to get more searches from those one also.

    #1183705
    tanyaau
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::

    You have a marketing company and I want to link to a local company as I have skills for seo and social media. For social media I know all search queries to find people with real profiles not fake. If you are interested please discuss with me.

    #1183706
    angelarodgers
    Member
    • Total posts: 180
    Up
    0
    ::
    Flicked, post: 216784, member: 67887 wrote:
    Hi Angela,

    I wanted to add to the phone number point. I have exactly the same opinion as Michael.

    I have personally tried to call twice your number with no success.

    Flicked uses Zintel and it is $25/month and about $200 for the original setup with the professional recording.

    What you get for this price is:

    – 1800 number diverted to your mobile or home phone
    – Call whisper will announce when the call comes from your toll free number
    – Professionally recorded greeting (you can have a different greeting after hours telling customers that you are opened from 9am -5pm
    – Voicemail to email

    Feel free to try and call 1800 FLICKED :)

    Hi Damien,

    Thank you for the really useful feedback!! I definitely can’t ignore this if at least two people on here share this opinion. I am so sorry that you weren’t able to get through to me on the first go.

    This has been a big problem for me (and perhaps some other solo’ers) in that I don’t have a receptionist, and am really not glued to my phone at all times to answer incoming calls. I do get back to people within a couple of hours if they leave me a voicemail (and try to pick up immediately if I recognise the number and have a chance to chat), but I probably do lose a fair few new clients who give up after one missed call.

    You’ve sparked an idea though. I like what you’re going for with a 1800/1300 number, but it still doesn’t solve the problem of me not being able to answer 80% of incoming inquiries as I am in meetings a lot of the time or focusing on creative work.

    BUT… I did a bit of online research and found there are quite a few Australian services that will answer calls professionally and take down messages. It starts from about the same price as what you mentioned above (possibly including the 1300 number rental). I’m planning to sign up for one by the end of the week, so stay tuned! I am really excited about this.

    Thanks again for the really valuable feedback… I think this will make a big difference to my stress levels and incoming inquiries! :)

    Greatly appreciated,

    Angela

    EDIT: I’ve signed up for the 1300 number and phone answering service. So pumped about this! Thanks Damien and everyone for the feedback and ideas. You are all awesome! :-)

    #1183707
    angelarodgers
    Member
    • Total posts: 180
    Up
    0
    ::
    tanyaau, post: 216845, member: 68803 wrote:
    website has great design and pages are also good, try to add blog posts with more different keywords related to your website to get more searches from those one also.

    Hi Tanyaau,

    Thank you for your feedback! We tend to post about once a week with a new blog post, which is basically always relates back to our core services (so naturally includes keywords).

    Could you please be more specific about what you think I should do differently? Maybe I’m not understanding!

    I also appreciate your willingness to maybe connect… but I’m not sure we’re a good fit. SEO isn’t our focus right now. Thank you so much though! Just out of interest – are you based in Australia? I get the impression that you are overseas based, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

    Cheers,
    Angela

    #1183708
    Kosta_Kondratenko
    Member
    • Total posts: 108
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Angela,

    angelarodgers, post: 216588, member: 58536 wrote:
    Hi Kosta!

    Thank you so much for your kind review. I really love your website, by the way. It’s one of the freshest ones I’ve seen for this industry recently! :)

    Thanks so much for confirming about the video.. you’re right, it could definitely be improved! I’ve got some ideas from your comment and a few of the others above for a remake sometime in the future!

    Thanks again for your very generous advice… even if we are sort of competition. ;-)

    Cheers,

    Angela

    No problem at all. If you ever have any other questions let me know @KostaKondras (I’ve followed you).

    Good luck with the business ;)

    #1183709
    checkvault
    Member
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Angela, I was on the about us page and found that the social media links are currently hashed.

    #1183710
    Samuel W
    Member
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Angela

    First, I know it’s already been mentioned but I love your brand name :)

    The video is great to add a bit of personal touch. People like to know they are dealing with real people.

    One thing I’ve noticed though. I am pretty sure you are all across this too. The video is not showing on the responsive version. Studies found that most people research on mobile/tablet and then they make the final decision by visiting your site on desktop. From an UX perspective, it is good to have a video on mobile as well (consistency).

    And, I’ve noticed that you guys don’t provide services for email marketing (one of my areas of expertise). We do partner with other web design agencies for eDMs, DMs, SMSs where they focus on the design & copywriting elements and we do the data crunching (segmentation) and the PCA (post campaign analysis) stuff.

    Well done!
    Cheers
    Sam

    #1183711
    martin.firth
    Member
    • Total posts: 259
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Angela,

    Brilliant choice getting your face onto the website, hell, I even considered signing up and I’m a web designer myself.

    My main piece of advice would be to use a complementary colour somewhere in your design, as at the moment it’s a bit monochrome with only the one shade of green. See attached for my suggestions.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.