Home – New Forums Starting your journey Need feedback from small/micro business owners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    missile
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I’m considering putting my 20 years of digital experience into an online course particularly targeted to small businesses and how they can set up their own website. A real step by step guide which can be understood by people with little technical knowledge, from choosing their domain name, hosting and through to launch and maintenance.

Before doing this though I was wondering if there was a business demand for such a course. I was hoping to get some feedback on what issues and pain points non technical people have had when creating their websites or what has stopped you from getting one.

I’d like to know what would help small/micro business and if you want :

• to learn some basics so that you can outsource, know what you are asking for and know you are not getting taken for a ride when hiring someone (also what to check when they deliver the site)
    • to pay and have someone take care of it all
    • simple step by step learning modules that you can follow and create your own site – just paying for help if you need it

I hope this is the right place to post this question and I look forward to hearing what it is that people are looking for.

Thanks, Mel

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

Hi Mel

As someone in the industry working with your target market — and as someone who did the market research for putting a similar course together – I can safely say there is no demand for this (sorry). Your target market – even the ones who think they are DIYers … they are actually ‘Done For You’ers. As in – they just want someone else to create their website for them … and make it easy for them as possible. They want to do as little thinking as possible.

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

Sorry, I agree with that. Microbusinesses have no money to spare. Then there is so much information online which is all for free. I have no technical knowledge myself and did my website on weebly. I found out that they have an abmysal customer service and changed to shopify. Both softwares are pretty straightforward and understandable for everyone. However if you offer to bring a site for xx $ on page one of google and guarantee it, but that’s maybe difficult…

missile
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Thanks for your feedback.
    There seems to be so many people out there paying large sums of money for very basic websites that they then have no idea how to maintain. If they took a bit of time, most of them could do something simple themselves.

heftzwecke
    Up

Maybe you can tweak you offer a bit? Or offer a course in the community college? Or offer a helpline. There maybe three kinds of small businesses # one those who really have the skills to do a proper website; # 2 who don’t have the skills and but it anyway(like me and those are terrible customers!!) and #3 who are afraid of doing one and you want to target somehow #3.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Kelly Exeter FS Editor, post: 241775, member: 63738 wrote:
    Hi Mel

As someone in the industry working with your target market — and as someone who did the market research for putting a similar course together – I can safely say there is no demand for this (sorry). Your target market – even the ones who think they are DIYers … they are actually ‘Done For You’ers. As in – they just want someone else to create their website for them … and make it easy for them as possible. They want to do as little thinking as possible.

Kelly interesting outcome of your market research, just as a bystander looking in, I just look at how many posts pop up on here saying I built my website, or I plan to build my website, how do I do this, or what do I do next.

Than there are those who pop up with a professionally built one, and its obvious they hadn’t considered solid specifications, or forgotten to ask for this or that, and the developer/designer never bothered to ask if they wanted it.

From my understanding of Mel’s post, what she is offering would cover both of these aspects. And if you think about it FS most likely only see a small percentage of people who run into difficulty.

Just a thought.

heftzwecke
    Up

Personsalised or face to face.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi Mel,

There is a real pain point there IMO but a lot of people don’t know that they have a pain point ie, they think their website is good.

And a lot of the target market do not have money and you can’t sell to broke people.

So combined with [USER=63738]@Kelly Exeter FS Editor[/USER] feedback, it makes it a tough sell.

If you had an audience already where people know, trust and rely on you, then it becomes viable.

Or if you had a related product eg, SEO, Copywriting, Design that was focused on bootstrappers, you would have a good shot.

heftzwecke
    Up

I have got an idea. You could make something like this guy: http://mikesbackyardnursery.com/ Have a look at his website. He says he helps people to sell thousands of plant from their backyards. Ok you can say it’s all fraud and the information is on th net anyway but he is sucessful so he is making something right you could make something simililar for e-commerce:
    1.) He gives information away for free (his blog posts and an e-book). There’s nothing special with this information, but it is I would say sound advice for easier plants to propagate.
    2.) He constantly encourages you. He tells you that you can make thousands of dollars too… It is a very American way. I was broke/unhappy/fat… and I did xxx read xxx and you will be…
    3.) He tells stories, preferably his own instead of only telling the recipe.
    4.) He has face to face events.
    I really toyed myself subscribing to his site, but what I really took away was that instead of writing information about herbs I have to write stories.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.