Home – New Forums Starting your journey Need feedback on beauty business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    hairextension
    Participant
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi all

I am in the process of setting up my hair extension business but I have been thinking of doing some beauty treatments.Message,nails, facial and then expand if takes off.My question is can i do these with no proper training I am self thought in the techniques.
    My business is being run from my rented home.

Paul B.
    • Total posts: 119
    Up
    hairextension, post: 123367 wrote:
    Hi all

I am in the process of setting up my hair extension business but I have been thinking of doing some beauty treatments.Message,nails, facial and then expand if takes off.My question is can i do these with no proper training I am self thought in the techniques.

Im 90% sure you would require certification to provide beauty treatments, massage etc. Any of those services not requiring certification would be much more appealing to clients if you could show you were qualified.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    hairextension, post: 123367 wrote:
    Hi all

You could consider doing short courses just in the areas your planing to cover if you end up needing certification.

Steve

businesstrader
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

You definitely need qualifications in a particular industry to be able to offer those services. Without them I think offering these services would not be in your best interest. Also, this could make any business insurances you have nul in void.

Before starting a business it might be in your best interest to seek proper legal advice from a solicitor.

Good luck!

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi There,

In addition to personal qualifications – you should look into insurances as well. Plus, check whether you can operate from your home (and, a rented home) – You can use a government tool to determine what licenses or permits you may require for your area – A list of each state’s tool is found at this blog post I recently did – http://www.smallbusinesswizardry.com/2012/small-business-resources/

Also read your lease carefully – you may have agreed not to run any sort of business from the property and doing so without a properly signed amendment to your lease might not sit well with your landlord….

All the best :)

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

There are many services you can offer without qualifications. For instance, you could be the head chef in a posh restaurant without any qualifications.

Although people here have said you need them, it may be worth investigating further. I don’t imagine it could be illegal to paint someone’s nails without a certificate.

I would be cautious about things though. You can really injure people with incorrect massage techniques or by using certain chemicals. Insurance is a good idea.

hairextension
    Participant
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Thanks all I will look into it more .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.