Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Need help from you ladies (mums)!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    whahoo
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

I started an online business – Whahoo Baby Horoscopes – about a year ago. Won’t trouble you with all the ins and outs, but I’m marketing it from The Netherlands – only in Australia – and the books we sell are printed and distibuted in/from Sydney.
    Everybody assures us we have a beautiful, nice etc. website (http://www.whahoo.com.au), but the number of sales isn’t what we expected (although we have a huge AdWords, Yahoo and Facebook campaign and about 30 partners linking to our site). 95% of our customers are women.

Part of our promotional policy is to give (Gift Vouchers for) Baby Horoscope Books (worth AUD 109.50) away: for competitions held by partners on the web or on exhibitions. And once a month we give a voucher to one of the voters on our own Baby of the Month competition. Reason we do this is that once people have had a real book in their hands, they get greedy and want to have one (they say).
    Every receiver of a Gift Voucher is always very happy, grateful and delghted.
    BUT: of all the – about 50 – Gift Vouchers we gave away in the last 8 months, only 3 people redeemed it.

We thought of many reasons for this (like “people don’t like astrology”, “it to much work to order for a mum” etc.) and we even asked some people, but didn’t get any satisfying answers.
    Is there anybody out there who can make a guess (that we can use to speed things up)?

Thank you so much for your time and attention.

ideasgirl
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi Wahoo.

Your site is cute ;)

Why do you only market your product to Australia?
    Is there a reason your product won’t/ can’t be global?

Any way competitions are a great way (i think ) to gain exposure for your product.
    I suggest contacting Craig Bradley from shoppersbonus, and get yourself featured on his site. He has over 24000 members…mostly women.
    You may have to pay to be here, and sorry i have no idea what the costs are.
    You can also get on compingclub. That is a free competition forum, with over 29000 members. I am a member of compinclub and can add your comeptition there myself if you would like.

Also i see you don’t have a newsletter…(i may have overlooked it ). One of the many reasons companies run competitions, is to capture email addresses. By entering your free competition, you should make it and option (or mandatory) to subscribe to your newsletters. Newsletters are a great way to remind people about your company, and a very effective marketing tool.

Sorry that’s all the advice i have :) Good luck!

whahoo
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Thank you so much for your ideas. Going to work on them.

And of course people can order from all over the world, but our focus in marketing is on Australia (and New Zealand), because the books are expensive to distribute (they measure 25 x 25 cm and their weight is about 600 grs) and our experience is that the p&p costs are (relatively) too high for people in US and Europe.

Again, thanks!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

re We thought of many reasons for this (like “people don’t like astrology”, “it to much work to order for a mum” etc.) and we even asked some people, but didn’t get any satisfying answers.

Your product is lovely – I was wondering if you should be promoting on your home page more about it being an ‘astrological’ chart of potential or promise, rather than Horoscope. As a mum and grandmother I personally don’t like the word ‘horoscope’ – that may be just me because of the word ‘horror’ which really has nothing to do with it and is just my reaction, but maybe it has an effect on others too. Also, I would imagine you need to take away the fear of the unknown that many would have because of the constant advertising in many magazines of fortune telling with horoscopes which is definitely not what you are about.

I like the information on the FAQs pages and what the charts are all about. I just think the introductory wording needs to be able to alleviate any concerns about what it really is about on the home page.

I remember that the famous pianist in the movie ‘Shine’, David Helfgott, would say ‘it’s in the stars Gillian, it’s in the stars’ as his future wife was an astrologer. Maybe you should make more of the ‘in the stars’ concept.

I did a year of indepth Biblical College studies many years ago, and one of the modules was on astrology relating to the Bible and world events which was a fascinating study in itself – however, what it did was show me that astrology and fortune telling are entirely different things and that astrology has a definite scientific and mathematical basis. Unfortunately most people lump it with fortune telling or the daily horoscopes.

Don’t know if any of this helps, but keep on trying. :)

An eNews would be good too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.