Home Forums Get productive Need help letting go of my work to Staff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805

Hi, to my favourite people on the WWW,

I know sucking up already LOL

I need some guidance on letting go of some of my work. (Control Freak – yes I am) Don’t be shy in calling me that, I have extremely high standards and find it very hard to let go – other than the accounts, I let those go years ago as I hate doing them, that’s what the Book Keeper and Accountants are for.

A few months ago, I took on a new client which is taking all of my time as it’s a consulting role with billable hours (12 hours a day) , they have recently asked to extend my services to other departments in their organisation, but I feel I’m neglecting the business as a whole as a result of zero spare time, the billable hours are great for the business cash coffers, but at what long term expense.

One of my staff has put up her hand to take on the role of Sales and Marketing, which has always been dear to my heart, but I have zero time left at the end of the day, and we need to push our marketing, as I do not want to be consulting all the time.

SO, even though she wants to do it, I have no time to guide her and train her, do any of you have any suggestions on how I get her started.

SO FAR:

I employed 2 new Admin support people a few months ago, to help with the everyday tasks that will allow my other staff to change roles.

She knows the business well, she has been with me for 7 years in admin and client support, but has zero marketing experience. I have paid for a few courses for her to complete and she has, but feels she still needs a lot of hand holding, as it is a big step, I understand that.

I am not sure if the “hand holding” comment comes from my nervousness to let go, or her real needs.

Do I throw her in the deep end, or is that unfair? That is how I started, I googled everything, I am constantly learning and researching in my off time – not a lot of that lately.

I need new content for our website, should I get her to start developing that, using all the current material and what she knows about the business?

I am concerned that I will rework everything anyway, which is my main problem.

So, after all that information, FINAL QUESTION is – throw her in the deep end, or put it on hold until I have time to spare to guide her?

Cheers
    Mischelle :):):):rolleyes::rolleyes:

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,481

Throw her in the deep end, but with you still there for support if asked (note if asked).

Drop your control freakiness, and DONT rework it, maybe just provide suggestions, and get out of the way. Or a better way, have a second trusted team member provide checking and guidance, and you keep out of it completely.

Mischelle
    bb1, post: 265389, member: 53375 wrote:
    Throw her in the deep end, but with you still there for support if asked (note if asked).

Drop your control freakiness, and DONT rework it, maybe just provide suggestions, and get out of the way. Or a better way, have a second trusted team member provide checking and guidance, and you keep out of it completely.
    Thanks Bert,

I love the idea of a second person doing the checking, thanks for that input, I was too tunnel visioned to even think of that !!! I have another staff member who has been with me for 11 years, who could do it.

I know I have to let go of my “control freakiness” LOL, it’s just so hard sometimes. BUT you are right, and I need to let go, as I am drowning in work (I know it shouldn’t be something to bitch about as a SMB) :)

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,130

Hi [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] ,

I have had a lot of experience with promoting people who started at the bottom and looking back, I had some hits and some misses.

It goes without saying that either outcome results in a lot of joy or a lot of pain down the track.

Reflecting on these kinds of decisions, I found that there is much more risk to the down side associated with promoting somebody in situations like yours ie, where there are pressures to relieve overwhelm.

This is because there are immediate payoffs in the form of feeling like you are taking action and being able to pass off some work to others etc.

Long term however,it will generally take a lot more resources long term to train a non-salesperson to be a sales person than to recruit a pro salesperson and train them around your products/services and business.

And it is hard for people to go back to their old role if things don’t work out.

In the immediate term, this formula is probably reversed and that is part of the pay-off.

In your mind at the moment, there seems to be an Option A or Option B scenario but I encourage you to think of Options C,D and E and more if there are viable alternatives.

For what it is worth, in my experience, with sales in particular, people that will be successful in that role will almost always really jump out at you (ie, you would have been thinking a long time ago, this person would be awesome in sales).

Let me know if you would like to further discuss any of these ideas.

Mischelle
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 265398, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] ,

I have had a lot of experience with promoting people who started at the bottom and looking back, I had some hits and some misses.

It goes without saying that either outcome results in a lot of joy or a lot of pain down the track.

Reflecting on these kinds of decisions, I found that there is much more risk to the down side associated with promoting somebody in situations like yours ie, where there are pressures to relieve overwhelm.

This is because there are immediate payoffs in the form of feeling like you are taking action and being able to pass off some work to others etc.

Long term however,it will generally take a lot more resources long term to train a non-salesperson to be a sales person than to recruit a pro salesperson and train them around your products/services and business.

And it is hard for people to go back to their old role if things don’t work out.

In the immediate term, this formula is probably reversed and that is part of the pay-off.

In your mind at the moment, there seems to be an Option A or Option B scenario but I encourage you to think of Options C,D and E and more if there are viable alternatives.

For what it is worth, in my experience, with sales in particular, people that will be successful in that role will almost always really jump out at you (ie, you would have been thinking a long time ago, this person would be awesome in sales).

Let me know if you would like to further discuss any of these ideas.
    Thank you so much Paul for taking the time to respond.

Once again I think I am too close to the action, because I am so overloaded, and working really long hours, I’m beyond exhausted, I really haven’t considered all my options. You are spot on I am trying to find a quick fix to my problem, off load some of my work quickly.

My staff member I feel would be great in sales and marketing, she has the right personality for it, and the passion for the business, it’s just the time needed to train her.

BUT, I spoke to her yesterday after reading Bert’s post and I said I am throwing you in the “deep end” she loved it (go figure).

Of course nothing will go out into the public until it’s reviewed, and as Bert suggested I am going to use a second long term staff member to review the content before submitting to me.

To give you an idea of my workload for the past 4 months, I have been in PNG, Philippines, EU, India, Dubai, multiple times and that is on top of a huge client workload, I am burning out, so that is why I am not thinking clearly and trying to find a quick fix.

I truly appreciate you and Bert responding, and it gave clarity to my foggy mind, and that I think explains my decision making processes the last few months.

Cheers
    Mischelle :):):eek::eek:

bb1
    Participant
    Mischelle, post: 265416, member: 60404 wrote:
    Of course nothing will go out into the public until it’s reviewed, and as Bert suggested I am going to use a second long term staff member to review the content before submitting to me.

No, let go. or if you insist on this, only the first time, otherwise they will lack confidence, as they will always know, the big bad boss will jump on it, plus they know they don’t have to do their best as you will fix it anyhow. I found if I told my staff just go for it, they were that cautious of making a mistake, they actually came up with a better result, as they triple checked everything.

Maybe even be brave and let them make a mistake, best way I have ever learnt or my staff have learnt is by our mistakes.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840

So many variables, so some general comments here.

She knows the business well, she has been with me for 7 years in admin and client support, but has zero marketing experience. I have paid for a few courses for her to complete and she has, but feels she still needs a lot of hand holding, as it is a big step, I understand that.

This comment from Paul comes to mind

“Reflecting on these kinds of decisions, I found that there is much more risk to the down side associated with promoting somebody in situations like yours ie, where there are pressures to relieve overwhelm.”

That is my experience too.

Not saying she can’t transition, all I can offer is that my experience is that I have found very few that transition from admin to sales truly effectively.

And yes, it is unfair to throw her in at the deep end, because if she does make mistakes, and doesn’t succeed in achieving what you expect from her, that’s on you.

……..as I do not want to be consulting all the time.

Once again am with Paul and the idea of more potential options. If you prefer to do sales and marketing, why not look at someone who is capable of taking some of the consulting pressure of you?

Mischelle
    bb1, post: 265418, member: 53375 wrote:
    No, let go. or if you insist on this, only the first time, otherwise they will lack confidence, as they will always know, the big bad boss will jump on it, plus they know they don’t have to do their best as you will fix it anyhow. I found if I told my staff just go for it, they were that cautious of making a mistake, they actually came up with a better result, as they triple checked everything.

Maybe even be brave and let them make a mistake, best way I have ever learnt or my staff have learnt is by our mistakes.
    Hi Bert,

See, control freak !!!! Thanks again for the push and shove in the right direction :):)

Mischelle
    Johny, post: 265420, member: 34822 wrote:
    So many variables, so some general comments here.

This comment from Paul comes to mind

“Reflecting on these kinds of decisions, I found that there is much more risk to the down side associated with promoting somebody in situations like yours ie, where there are pressures to relieve overwhelm.”

That is my experience too.

Not saying she can’t transition, all I can offer is that my experience is that I have found very few that transition from admin to sales truly effectively.

And yes, it is unfair to throw her in at the deep end, because if she does make mistakes, and doesn’t succeed in achieving what you expect from her, that’s on you.

Once again am with Paul and the idea of more potential options. If you prefer to do sales and marketing, why not look at someone who is capable of taking some of the consulting pressure of you?
    Hi Johny,

Thanks for the feedback, I can barely type this morning, I am so tired, but I am also concerned I am over thinking everything.

All my long term staff know they can make mistakes and I will always support them, so when I talked to her yesterday about developing content for the website she was excited, she doesn’t lack confidence that’s for sure – maybe I do??

I think it all actually comes back to me wanting to control everything, as Bert has repeatedly told me “let it go” CRAP, now I have the Frozen song in my head.

I did look at the option of getting another consultant to do my work, but they are hard to find and harder to slot into projects mid term, and I only get these projects due to the clients knowing me and my work.

I really need to learn to have faith in my staff, they are as passionate about my business as I am (which is rare) and I can’t have it both ways, control and time, one has to give and I don’t have any more time to spare.

I am going to have a rare afternoon off and just try and relax before getting on another stinking plane….. See even my posts are rambling…..

Thanks guys you are really helping
    Mischelle :):)

bb1
    Participant
    Mischelle, post: 265422, member: 60404 wrote:
    I did look at the option of getting another consultant to do my work, but they are hard to find and harder to slot into projects mid term, and I only get these projects due to the clients knowing me and my work.

LOL, sorry Mischelle, sounds like the control freak again, even with allowing someone in on this project, the classic control freak terms, hard to find, hard to insert, they only love me.

Just sitting here having a giggle, as honestly I have being there, and done that, and I learnt the hard way, you have to let go, at the end of the day your health is far more important then a project or even dollars.

Ok I promise to stop calling you a control freak.

Paul – FS Concierge

Having hit the Go Button, I feel that there is a super powerful and very simple shortcut to test the success of the decision.

And it is particularly important and very often overlooked where there is a kind of hybrid type role such as Sales and Marketing – this is because some people will be drawn to Sales activities and some will be more naturally drawn to Marketing activities.

People will generally do what they like doing and what they feel they are good at. Conversely, people will often not do what they are not good at or do not like doing.

So many people have their own idea of what success in their role means and I have observed that in a lot of cases, it doesn’t drive the business forward. Most often, people think they are successful when they “are busy” or when they “work hard”.

For example, somebody in a Sales and Marketing role might be drawn to creating a new brochure and talk endlessly sorting out a problem with the printer but never make a cold call in their life.

So unless, success is defined pretty rigorously ahead of time it can be elusive.

I encourage you to extract the marrow from the bone in what will truly drive your business forward (within the context of the new role) and have the person report on those activities.

And the simple shortcut?

Ask your new Sales and Marketing person to finish the following sentence…

“I will be successful in my role when….”

If they can say, without pause, what you have in your mind eg, I generate five sales calls a week/month that results in 1/2 new customers”, then you are halfway there.

Good luck Mischelle!!

Mischelle
    bb1, post: 265425, member: 53375 wrote:
    LOL, sorry Mischelle, sounds like the control freak again, even with allowing someone in on this project, the classic control freak terms, hard to find, hard to insert, they only love me.

Just sitting here having a giggle, as honestly I have being there, and done that, and I learnt the hard way, you have to let go, at the end of the day your health is far more important then a project or even dollars.

Ok I promise to stop calling you a control freak.
    Thanks Bert, you know I love your comments, I like the no BS approach to things, I don’t want to just hear agreeable answer all the time :)

Mischelle
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 265426, member: 78928 wrote:
    Having hit the Go Button, I feel that there is a super powerful and very simple shortcut to test the success of the decision.

And it is particularly important and very often overlooked where there is a kind of hybrid type role such as Sales and Marketing – this is because some people will be drawn to Sales activities and some will be more naturally drawn to Marketing activities.

People will generally do what they like doing and what they feel they are good at. Conversely, people will often not do what they are not good at or do not like doing.

So many people have their own idea of what success in their role means and I have observed that in a lot of cases, it doesn’t drive the business forward. Most often, people think they are successful when they “are busy” or when they “work hard”.

For example, somebody in a Sales and Marketing role might be drawn to creating a new brochure and talk endlessly sorting out a problem with the printer but never make a cold call in their life.

So unless, success is defined pretty rigorously ahead of time it can be elusive.

I encourage you to extract the marrow from the bone in what will truly drive your business forward (within the context of the new role) and have the person report on those activities.

And the simple shortcut?

Ask your new Sales and Marketing person to finish the following sentence…

“I will be successful in my role when….”

If they can say, without pause, what you have in your mind eg, I generate five sales calls a week/month that results in 1/2 new customers”, then you are halfway there.

Good luck Mischelle!!
    Paul you are a champ, very much like Bert (even though Bert is a wee bit less subtle, but like him for that LOL)

I 100% understand people will focus on the areas they like.

I should be clearer in stating I am wanting her to do more marketing, with some sales, but I am the person who does the majority sales side, trying to get meetings etc, which I am good at and actually enjoy, I just get bogged down in the marketing side “marketing collateral etc”

I love this ” “I will be successful in my role when….””

I am going to use that, we have a staff meeting next week so I will carve out some time with each of my staff separately and ask them all this question, even me.

My answer will be “I will be successful in my role when I learn to delegate without conditions”

Paul – FS Concierge

That role would make the transition a lot less risky form a financial point of view.

Vision, systems, procedures, processes, performance parameters (KPI’s) reporting and reviews facilitate delegation – it sounds like it would be worthwhile exploring where you can develop yours to give you confidence to delegate.

At some stage, it would also be would also be worth looking at your Position Descriptions – in my experience, most need to have most of the PD erased because a list of more than a few things becomes meaningless to most people…. it is similar in concept to having 101 things on a Task List – it becomes super hard to work out what is important or a priority.

So the exercise would be to have only 3 “Key Performance Areas” in each PD …but… also have 3 x “Ideal Behaviours” to focus staff on behaviours you value.

Re: your own answer- would you be willing to review that?

As a boss, my go to would be around, “Supporting staff to be successful by developing the best tools for them, eliminating inefficiencies and training them to be the best in the business.”

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,160

Awesome TagLine Mischelle, i read this as “Need help letting go of my work staff’ and was ALL IN for this chatter.. ..

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.