Home – New Forums Find the help you need Need help with a new site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up
    ::

Hi all

I am helping some people put together a website that will be a periodic, subscription based report for stock market traders.

We have a web developer/designer arranged but before we meet with them we would like to be armed with some info on how they can get to work on building the site. I am sure they will have their own ideas but I also think this community can help arm us with info for that discussion.

What we need is a site that would have both free content and subscription based content behind a paywall. It also needs an e-commerce plugin that will bill the client on a monthly basis at the completion of the 30 day trial.

We were thinking of setting up a simple WordPress site to start with. Does anyone know if Magento works for what we are trying to do and also how do we go about creating the “member’s only” area.

Appreciate any help, I just believed the more informed you are when speaking to web developers the greater the value you get from the discussion. Thanks in advance:)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Dane,
    I think you might find some helpful advice on this recent thread: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/talking-technology/19877-selling-online-products-subscription.html

Good luck,
    Jayne

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Dane Pymble, post: 120302 wrote:
    Does anyone know if Magento works for what we are trying to do and also how do we go about creating the “member’s only” area.

The short answer is yes, but then, just about any solution could be made to fit your broad requirements! It just depends on how much work/money you want to spend.

In a nutshell, Magento already supports downloadable content, memberships, and members’ only products. (It also has a members’ area, but it’s pretty light out of the box)
    You’d have to at least purchase an extension or two for some of your other requirements:
    e.g.
    http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/subscriptions-and-recurring-payments.html

Without knowing more details, it’s difficult to ascertain what more you’d need.

I’m not even sure what your question really is. Did you just want to know if it’s possible or was there something else?

Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

John & Jayne, many thanks for your help on this. John yes the broadness of my description is inversely related to the narrowness of my knowledge of what I was asking for!

You both have helped immensely, thank you for your time.

BTW after reading another thread not sure which of Like or thanks is the voting system de jour so I chose both!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.