Home – New Forums Tech talk Need help with gallery in WP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    ::

I’m having trouble finding the “how to” for my problem. Have spent too long searching the WP forums and I have an awful feeling I can’t do what I want :(

I want to insert a gallery into a post, with some of the images linking to custom urls.

It seems that I can only choose to link to media file or attachment page through the gallery.

My alternative is to post the images individually, but then I have issues with the layout.

Does anyone have a simple solution for me?

Wendy :)

Rachel@TheKidsAreAllRight
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Hi Wendy, I have a plugin called Slideshow which does what you need – you can add a different URL to link to for each of the slides, and choose to open in new/same window etc.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/slideshow-jquery-image-gallery/

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I had this problem before with the default WP gallery.

There are two way to deal with it, both of them require a plugin with is unfortunate.

1. As above, install another gallery.
    2. Install this plugin :http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-gallery-custom-links/ This allows you to specify custom URLs for each of your gallery items.

Hope this helps :)

MyGreatIdea
    Up

Thanks for your help Rachel and Matthew. Can always count on Flying Solo members :)

Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up
    Couple It, post: 158663 wrote:
    I’m having trouble finding the “how to” for my problem. Have spent too long searching the WP forums and I have an awful feeling I can’t do what I want :(

I want to insert a gallery into a post, with some of the images linking to custom urls.

It seems that I can only choose to link to media file or attachment page through the gallery.

My alternative is to post the images individually, but then I have issues with the layout.

Does anyone have a simple solution for me?

This is something that I wanted to do in one of my websites a while ago and couldn’t link to a custom url unless you can do it individually. I have searched pretty much all the wp forum to find a solution for this and its not an option just yet to insert a custom url through gallery images. Hopefully wp has this on their to do list in the next update.

best of luck,
    Joey

MyGreatIdea
    Up

Joey, I used the plugin Matthew suggested and it worked a treat !!

Page was done within half an hour (that’s really quick for me lol).

Yes, I did link each image individually, but that’s what I needed to do, and I didn’t have that many anyway.

The result is here.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Well Wendy,

Thanks for the post of this topic.. found a new plug in i didnt know i needed.. WOOT WOOT… and thanks Matthew for offering up the plug… SWEET!

Cheerio
    Jason

ps.. like the page Wendy.. can you teach me how to do it in 30mins.. i take a day to add a product :D

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    MyGreatIdea
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 158760 wrote:
    ps.. like the page Wendy.. can you teach me how to do it in 30mins.. i take a day to add a product :D

lol that doesn’t include all the time I spent over the weekend trying to set it all out just using images :D

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

LOL Wendy,

Sending you my admin login, can you create a page for me? :p

Jason

ps.. i shouldnt have looked at your web site, i think i need some underwear release clips.. just in case 😮

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Rachel@TheKidsAreAllRight
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Just checked out your page Wendy – sorry, I can see I misunderstood your question. I was thinking slideshow, not gallery. Glad Matthew had a solution.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Rachel@TheKidsAreAllRight, post: 158786 wrote:
    Just checked out your page Wendy – sorry, I can see I misunderstood your question. I was thinking slideshow, not gallery. Glad Matthew had a solution.WordPress doesn’t have any slideshow at all built in, and any slideshow plugin worth it’s salt will allow for custom URL’s for each slide.

Wooslider is an fantastic one: http://www.woothemes.com/products/wooslider/

Steve – Adoria Photo
    • Total posts: 47
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 158803 wrote:
    WordPress doesn’t have any slideshow at all built in, and any slideshow plugin worth it’s salt will allow for custom URL’s for each slide.

Wooslider is an fantastic one: http://www.woothemes.com/products/wooslider/

I use the nextgen gallery plugin for my portfolio and photography proofing gallery pages. There are a number of different slideshow slider plugins that work with nextgen, but I’m not sure they support externally hosted image files.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.