Home – New Forums Logistics Need help with importing product from China (Guangzhou)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    KJCastillo
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Need help with importing a product from China. At the moment I’m a little clueless.

So I need to import 20 cartons, the measurements p/carton 60*38*45CM and each carton weighs roughly 13kg – so 260kg altogether. The agreement is Ex works so I guess that means I need a freight forwarder to organise pick-up from their factory all the way to port here. And when the product arrives in Australia do I also need to hire a customs broker to clear it through customs?

Hope I can speak to someone who can assist me. I’m a little worried how much this is going to cost me.

Thanks

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi there,

We do have some importing experts around the place so hopefully somone will drop by shortly with some advice.

In the meantime, welcome to Flying Solo!

Dave

IMEX Sourcing Services2
    • Total posts: 42
    Up

Hi,

We should be able to help with this, if you could email us the complete details via the website link in signature. We can manage this process right from the factory door to your door, as we are based in Guangzhou.

P.S: Considering the size of the shipment, it might be easier to go via the air route as opposed to sea and the price should be fairly similar. If sending by air, the couriers use “chargeable weight” which is the higher of volumetric weight and actual weight and based on that your weight per carton would be around 21kg each.

Thanks

SourceSmart
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

hello KJCastillo,

I would ask the factory/supplier to find out the air freight price door to door then weight up the option of air or sea.
    I would assume air would cost about $1200-1400 and would be less hassles for you and arrive to you in approx 5 days depending where you are in Australia..

Sea would be cheaper but i wouldn’t expect much less when you consider you have about 2cbm of freight, need to pay the FOB costs, shipping, clearance costs and delivery costs. This might be $900-$1200 and then take about 20-30 days.

Something to think about anyway.

Warren.

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi, whereabouts in Australia are you shipping to?

Cheers

Pete

KJCastillo, post: 203879 wrote:
    Hi all,

Need help with importing a product from China. At the moment I’m a little clueless.

So I need to import 20 cartons, the measurements p/carton 60*38*45CM and each carton weighs roughly 13kg – so 260kg altogether. The agreement is Ex works so I guess that means I need a freight forwarder to organise pick-up from their factory all the way to port here. And when the product arrives in Australia do I also need to hire a customs broker to clear it through customs?

Hope I can speak to someone who can assist me. I’m a little worried how much this is going to cost me.

Thanks

gazdevel
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    Hi all,

Thanks

Ashish and his team at Imex Sourcing are fantastic. Visited them recently in Guangzhou and cannot speak highly enough about them. They are knowledgeable, helpful and definitely value for money.

Iris helped me through the massive Canton Fair and I would not think about sourcing from China without their help.

Good luck,

Garry

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    gazdevel, post: 203964 wrote:
    Ashish and his team at Imex Sourcing are fantastic. Visited them recently in Guangzhou and cannot speak highly enough about them. They are knowledgeable, helpful and definitely value for money.

Iris helped me through the massive Canton Fair and I would not think about sourcing from China without their help.

Good luck,

Garry

Howdy Garry,

Welcome to the forums, as you are new around here maybe pop in to introduce yourself so we know a little about you and what you do :) we are a friendly bunch around here…

Big praise for a sourcing company, so many of them at the fairs isnt there? How’d you go, was it your first trip and new business? My suggestion for your next visit, start your day at 9am before hall doors oopn and head to the basement and grab a Starbucks to get you going.. its generally quiet in the AM and then you can map your footsteps out so you are not backtracking too much.. Biggest hint i could give anyone… Have taken many people with me on my visits, actually i have arranged a few trips for people funny enough (but i am not selling anything here like that) and the one true gripe of newbies at this event is that they tend to back track so much that they are exhausted through and through by days end..

Look forward to learning more about you mate and your experience at the show and why IMEX received such a large compliment from you (awesome you found each other again on this forum too)…

Be well
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    IMEX Sourcing Services2
    Up
    gazdevel, post: 203964 wrote:

Good luck,

Garry

Hi Garry,

Thanks for sharing your experience & I am glad that we were of some value :)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    IMEX Sourcing Services, post: 209020 wrote:
    Hi Garry,

Thanks for sharing your experience & I am glad that we were of some value :)

Hi Ashsh

Is great to get good feedback, isn’t it?

From a regular reader here though, I find it funny that the only post Garry had made is to recommend a sourcing company… Normally there is some form of engagement in the community, a little about themselves and so forth meaning it’s hard to gauge what was actually done for Garry that made him so pleased. Instead it just reads as a ‘promo’… Would be nice for new members to read more about Garry and his experience so they can assess the viability of a service like yours.

Personally a comment about attending the canton fair and to say ‘I would not think about importing without their help’ leaves me a little befuddled as to how all the other millions o importers around the world existed before you existed?

Please note, I know I sound sarcastic and a little stand offish but it’s more about wanting to know what his experience was and what products or volume he delay with that made our service so appealing.

Cheers and hopefully he returns to add a little more.
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    EmilyYVT
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    Hi all,

Thanks

Good morning KJCastilo

Its an exiciting time in your business development to import your first shipment.

Purchasing under ex-works terms does give you full control to nominate your own freight forwarder and customs broker on arrival.

I have working in freight fowarding for over 10 years in senior management positions & am now establishing an independant virtual support service for new importers.

When you receive quotes and service offerings from freight forwarders i’m happy to reveiw them with you & help you make a decision on your best option. I am also available if you have any questions throughout the process.

There a number of freight forwarders active on Flying Solo who i’m sure can assist you with pricing and service options.

Please do not hesitate to contact me — there is no such thing as a silly question as you embark on your new experiences of international shipping!

Emily Pearson
    Your Virtual Team
    [email protected]

IMEX Sourcing Services2
    Up

Hi Jason,

As someone who has run a business forum myself in the past, I totally see where you are coming from. However, a lot of forum members use forums for information without actually participating in them. I believe Garry found us through the forum and at the end of the transaction registered to leave a review but doesn’t actively participate in the forum. We can request him to come and reply here to share more info on his experience but its his call at the end of the day.

But if you are implying in any way that this is a promotional thread by us, that is certainly not the case. We have reviews on a lot of other business forums (I will be happy to post links here if it doesn’t break forum rules) by forum members who have been active members on those forums for years. I believe you are also able to check IP’s of posters.

Hope it clarifies our stand on this. But as above, I will request Garry to respond to this thread if possible.

SimplyReplica, post: 209024 wrote:
    Hi Ashsh

Is great to get good feedback, isn’t it?

From a regular reader here though, I find it funny that the only post Garry had made is to recommend a sourcing company… Normally there is some form of engagement in the community, a little about themselves and so forth meaning it’s hard to gauge what was actually done for Garry that made him so pleased. Instead it just reads as a ‘promo’… Would be nice for new members to read more about Garry and his experience so they can assess the viability of a service like yours.

Personally a comment about attending the canton fair and to say ‘I would not think about importing without their help’ leaves me a little befuddled as to how all the other millions o importers around the world existed before you existed?

Please note, I know I sound sarcastic and a little stand offish but it’s more about wanting to know what his experience was and what products or volume he delay with that made our service so appealing.

Cheers and hopefully he returns to add a little more.
    Jason

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    IMEX Sourcing Services, post: 209124 wrote:
    Hi Jason,

As someone who has run a business forum myself in the past, I totally see where you are coming from. However, a lot of forum members use forums for information without actually participating in them. I believe Garry found us through the forum and at the end of the transaction registered to leave a review but doesn’t actively participate in the forum. We can request him to come and reply here to share more info on his experience but its his call at the end of the day.

But if you are implying in any way that this is a promotional thread by us, that is certainly not the case. We have reviews on a lot of other business forums (I will be happy to post links here if it doesn’t break forum rules) by forum members who have been active members on those forums for years. I believe you are also able to check IP’s of posters.

Hope it clarifies our stand on this. But as above, I will request Garry to respond to this thread if possible.

Hi

No implication on ‘dodgy’ thread, just it would be nice if newer people to the forum and people requiring services similar to yours could actually learn ‘why’ the experience was so beneficial to him.

All we here is a spruiking of IMEX rather than an explanation on the benefit of using an agent. We have imported ourselves for many years and never not required any assistance so the merit is over my head, unless someone who posts a positive review actually advises the benefits.

Hope that makes sense? So just to clarify, no comment re authenticitu of theead, and if there was I would have said so rather directly :)

In saying this, I must say there are quite a few “agents” no spruiking there own services in the forum lately with little or no benefit be attributed for the open community who reads the lost and encourages people to call. In fact, there is only 1 agent on here that provides input as a value add that everyone learns from without suggesting that people contact them directly. Just different expectations.

Keep up the good work, always great hearing positive reviews although as suggested it’s nice to see the quality of person leaving yh feedback – for you and for others.

Be well
    Jason

IMEX Sourcing Services2
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 209126 wrote:
    Hi

No implication on ‘dodgy’ thread, just it would be nice if newer people to the forum and people requiring services similar to yours could actually learn ‘why’ the experience was so beneficial to him.

All we here is a spruiking of IMEX rather than an explanation on the benefit of using an agent. We have imported ourselves for many years and never not required any assistance so the merit is over my head, unless someone who posts a positive review actually advises the benefits.

Hope that makes sense? So just to clarify, no comment re authenticitu of theead, and if there was I would have said so rather directly :)

In saying this, I must say there are quite a few “agents” no spruiking there own services in the forum lately with little or no benefit be attributed for the open community who reads the lost and encourages people to call. In fact, there is only 1 agent on here that provides input as a value add that everyone learns from without suggesting that people contact them directly. Just different expectations.

Keep up the good work, always great hearing positive reviews although as suggested it’s nice to see the quality of person leaving yh feedback – for you and for others.

Be well
    Jason

Thanks Jason,

Actually this would be a very good subject for one of our future blog posts, i.e. what is the value a sourcing company can add when importing from China, when you can certainly import directly too. I will keep you posted once this goes live :)

Cheers
    Ash

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Jason,

Maybe these go some way towards that.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140710062725-169973897-global-product-sourcing-do-it-yourself-vs-getting-help-part-i?trk=mp-reader-card

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140711064000-169973897-global-product-sourcing-do-it-yourself-vs-getting-help-part-ii?trk=mp-reader-card

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/global-product-sourcing-buying-brian-mallyon?trk=mp-reader-card

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi, I would expect sea to be cheaper on this shipment but for speed than air would be a better option.

Please note as mentioned in another reply that cubic weight would be greater on this shipment than actual dead weight due to the size of the boxes. All carriers have a formula they use to determine this but we are fortunate with our carrier partners that do the shipments by air as they give us an adjusted formula so this would be 17.5kg per carton (a previous post mentioned 21kg, so this shows the variation in the formula). This would make your total weight 350kg so when requesting quotes ensure you give them actual dimensions, qty and dead weight so that you get the correct pricing

Cheers

Pete

Hi all,

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.