Home – New Forums Starting your journey Need help with management styles.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bianca Barker
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,
    I am starting a new job as a store manager at a supermarket next month. The people in HR say they are looking for someone who can manage the store in a more participative style. I have to come in for another interview next tuesday and i’m sure they will be asking what I could do to manage the store in a more participative style. So in relevance to change of management what could be potential problems from change of managerial style from autocratic to participative?
    Thanks in advance guys, and wish me luck.

foxasap123
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Most of these large organizations do not give you much chance to change management procedures .I suggest the best way to approach is how you can bring employees together .

Tracey Anne
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

In my experience Snr Management and HR tend to pay lip service to this type of stuff but not much changes in practice – hopefully your organisation is different.

Also I would try to keep in mind that not all employees are excited about this stuff. Many just want to go to work, be left alone to do the job they’re paid for and go home.

Good luck though – sorry if this post sounds overly negative, I have a bit of history with HR :)

Diana
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Hi Bianca,

I have worked for QLD Health for many yrs – big public hospitals and also tiny rural ones. What has worked for me when I start in a new hospital is asking staff what they think about anything – get their opinion.

You may not act on these but they at least feel they are being listened to by their boss bec often they are forgotten, don’t feel part of it and get that attitude of just going, doing their job and going home. If you act on a suggestion for change, even better and give credit where it is due.

Likewise, when my superiors ask me what I think I rise to the challenge and feel my presence is validated.

I also find the best people to relate to are the ones in the lowest of the hierarchy who have been there for yrs and could just about run the place. Keep them onside and you have the respect of many people and they will do all they can to help you. Makes life easier.

All the best.
    Diana

MML
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Get a employee opinion survey, ask them what they want.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.