Home – New Forums Logistics Need helps with the carriers….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Vennerator
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::

Hi there

I am starting up my online business, selling fashion accessories…

Just wondering what carriers I should use, who are the most popular carriers for small online businesses??

Australia Post is the must I think? Who else?

Thanks.

aaron.miller
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Do you have an idea of how much your spend on shipping will be monthly?
    If it’s less than $2000 the big guys won’t touch you.
    That leaves Australia post and fastway couriers.
    With Australia post if you will be shipping all over the country, if your order will fit in a satchel it works out much cheaper. If you only ship to your metro area and state then the parcel rate can be cheaper.

Aaron

Archie Woodworks
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Places like Temando and Interparcel are fantastic for small business. You get similar rates as if you had an account directly with the couriers like TNT, Couriers Please etc.

I predominately use Temando and book pickups using TNT and Couriers Please. I find the rates are pretty good for what I send. I will use any other avenue instead of Australia Post as have found they have such a slow delivery method, plus care of packages isn’t a high priority for them.

Shane.

ellie.knapp
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    Vennerator, post: 192038 wrote:
    Hi there

Just wondering what carriers I should use, who are the most popular carriers for small online businesses??

Thanks.

Australia Post’s click and send portal is a good way for small businesses to start off with distribution.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    ellie.knapp, post: 194467 wrote:
    Australia Post’s click and send portal is a good way for small businesses to start off with distribution.

I recommend you go to http://www.whereismyparcel.com and get on his mailing list.

Regardless of what courier you choose (Australia Post or private) there is a common problem with all of them.

Dave has simple solution and I recommend you check it out!

For ALL e-retailers.

Archie Woodworks
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 194568 wrote:
    I recommend you go to http://www.whereismyparcel.com and get on his mailing list.

Regardless of what courier you choose (Australia Post or private) there is a common problem with all of them.

Dave has simple solution and I recommend you check it out!

For ALL e-retailers.

I send ATL (Authority to Leave) all the time but people must also realise that doing ATL you will have no insurance or recourse if the goods are damaged via the courier.

Shane.

Jenny Spring
    Up
    Archie Woodworks, post: 194603 wrote:
    I send ATL (Authority to Leave) all the time but people must also realise that doing ATL you will have no insurance or recourse if the goods are damaged via the courier.

Shane.

HI Shane
    I don’t understand the difference.

What happens is that each driver for each courier right now holds the power for whether your customer receives the parcel at their door or not. Regardless of what you have requested of that courier. The customer has already requested that the parcel be left at their door.

The driver decides whether they will or not.

So Dave’s sticker provides a consistent, trademarked authority right on the package that will force the driver to leave the parcel.

Jenny

Archie Woodworks
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 194611 wrote:
    HI Shane

The driver decides whether they will or not.

So Dave’s sticker provides a consistent, trademarked authority right on the package that will force the driver to leave the parcel.

Jenny

How will a sticker have any different effect to whether the courier driver will leave the package? How is the sticker any different from having Authority to Leave on the package? As you said, the driver has the ultimate authority to whether the package is left or not. I can’t see how a sticker would have more power then if ATL was written on the con note. Are the stickers authorised by each courier company?

I know when booking with Temando or Network Express you can select ATL as a cheaper option. ATL is automatically included in the printed con note.

wimp
    • Total posts: 42
    Up
    Vennerator, post: 192038 wrote:
    Hi there

Thanks.

Hi there

When looking for the RIGHT carrier to use for your online business, I suggest you consider the following points.

Do they have an extensive delivery network, capable of meeting yours and your customers requirements? (ie) Can they deliver to PO boxes? Where do your customers have to collect from, if unable to deliver?
    If sending via Australia Post are your items small enough to be classed as mail or are they all in the parcel category?

Do they offer a range of delivery options? which determines the price you pay (ie)
    Overnight / air / road / off peak / 3/5/7 days etc. Your customers will want to know how long their items will take to be delivered, You need to be able to give them some idea.

If they offer door to door service, what is their Authority to leave process?
    What are their re-delivery fees?
    What is their procedure for undelivered goods / returns?
    Do they have / offer track and trace facilities?
    What insurance options do they offer and how much will it cost?

The unfortunate reality is, it CANNOT be based purely on the best / cheapest price. (remember the saying “you will get what you pay for”)
    Customer service is vital, to retain and grow your customer base, If their delivery experience is too hard or inconvenient, they will think twice, before buying again.

Selling the best product at the best price will not always save you, the buying experience doesn’t end until the customer has got the goods, in the condition you sent them, and in a timely manner.

Like all business decisions, you need to research your options and decide which one will suit your needs, for service / reliability and price.

Hopefully the guidelines above will help you.
    Feel free to ask me, if you have any more questions,
    I will always get back to you asap.

wimp
    • Total posts: 42
    Up
    Archie Woodworks, post: 194603 wrote:

Shane.

Hi Shane.

Insurance in the transport / freight industry is a very grey area,
    (actually ALL insurance is.) :)
    All carriers have a “duty of care” to deliver the goods in the condition they collected them, choosing ATL does not automatically mean your parcels are not covered, if you pay for insurance, the goods are covered until the carrier has delivered them.

When receiving a parcel,whether the parcel is left at the front door or you sign for it, If in your opinion the packaging is damaged, take a photo of the parcel, BEFORE, you open it. That way if when you do open it and it is damaged your chances of recourse are very high.
    However, as I said earlier, paying for insurance is a catch 22 situation, usually you pay and never claim, or you claim and they never pay. :)

Dave

Jenny Spring
    Up
    Archie Woodworks, post: 194641 wrote:
    How will a sticker have any different effect to whether the courier driver will leave the package? How is the sticker any different from having Authority to Leave on the package? As you said, the driver has the ultimate authority to whether the package is left or not. I can’t see how a sticker would have more power then if ATL was written on the con note. Are the stickers authorised by each courier company?

I know when booking with Temando or Network Express you can select ATL as a cheaper option. ATL is automatically included in the printed con note.
    The driver may, or may not, see the con note, or even read it. The sticker removes the inconsistency .it will work across all courier companies.

I guess if you have had a 100% first time delivery rate and then you don’t have to worry. After 10 years as a eretailer I wished this sticker was available years ago! Would’ve saved hours of phone calls and unhappy customers.

Jenny

Matt @NMM
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

As a 3PL provider, we (NMM) use many different carriers across the spectrum of services- ranging from Road, Air , Post & local couriers. While they give you the option (ATL- authority to leave) this is commonly a very small tick box or wording on the connote & often overlooked or missed. In an instance where the parcel is not left & is carded- ( which often incurs a re-delivery charge) you can argue the case that you requested ATL and not incur those additional costs. This doesn’t however, satisfy the first time delivery expectation you requested.
    We send out 100’s of 1000’s of parcels each year and as standard- when the ATL is selected on the consignment labels, we also include an additional label to back up our expectations. Visible recognition for the driver who ultimately- wants to deliver it first time, particularly as they are being paid on a delivery completion basis.

Jenny Spring
    Up
    Matt @NMM, post: 194700 wrote:
    As a 3PL provider, we (NMM) use many different carriers across the spectrum of services- ranging from Road, Air , Post & local couriers. While they give you the option (ATL- authority to leave) this is commonly a very small tick box or wording on the connote & often overlooked or missed. In an instance where the parcel is not left & is carded- ( which often incurs a re-delivery charge) you can argue the case that you requested ATL and not incur those additional costs. This doesn’t however, satisfy the first time delivery expectation you requested.
    We send out 100’s of 1000’s of parcels each year and as standard- when the ATL is selected on the consignment labels, we also include an additional label to back up our expectations. Visible recognition for the driver who ultimately- wants to deliver it first time, particularly as they are being paid on a delivery completion basis.

Hi Matt

Brilliant! You understand the challenge with this situation very well.

I urge you to take a look at Dave’s option for you, could save you a lot of hassles and enable you to offer a seamless service for your clients:

http://www.whereismyparcel.com/freesample

Jenny

aaron.miller
    • Total posts: 117
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 194731 wrote:
    Hi Matt

Brilliant! You understand the challenge with this situation very well.

I urge you to take a look at Dave’s option for you, could save you a lot of hassles and enable you to offer a seamless service for your clients:

http://www.whereismyparcel.com/freesample

Jenny

I don’t understand, how is Dave’s option any better than Matts option of adding an additional sticker?

Aaron

Jenny Spring
    Up
    aaron.miller, post: 194734 wrote:
    I don’t understand, how is Dave’s option any better than Matts option of adding an additional sticker?

Aaron

Hi Aaron

It is the same solution, but Dave’s sticker will same time and money. Also, he has trademarked the words etc. and is working on this being a global solution.

Dave’s solution is a sticker. But he has done it for you, including trademarking etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.