Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Need Ideas for Overseas Potential Customers

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #982001
    RobynLee
    Member
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi,

    I have a small retail business selling teas and tea ware online, and at markets and other local outlets. I am trying to target Australian customers with my website (too expensive to post items overseas–not worth the cost for tea and not worth the risk of breakage for fragile tea ware items.)

    Local sales are increasing monthly, for which I am happy :) However, I am also ranking well in non-Aussie search engines for quite a few keywords and products and I get quite a lot of traffic (almost half/half) from overseas, showing interest in the items on my site. I would love to be able to monetise my overseas traffic but am at a loss as how to do so. Any ideas?

    I am writing an eBook which will be available on my site soon, which will be easy to sell to any customer. I have thought about drop-shipping from either China or Taiwan (for teas) both of which have very reasonable postage rates but it would mean finding and paying someone willing to repackage small amounts – 50gm to 100gm of tea, for example. At this point I feel it would be more hassle than it would be worth.

    If anyone has had a similar experience I’d love to hear your solutions. Thanks!

    Cheers, Robyn

    #1134165
    Jenny Spring
    Member
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Robyn

    Before you go down that path, I’d highly recommend you build 2 or 3 customer profiles. Make sure that your current Australian-based customers are being well served, and that you aren’t creating a whole new business that may not be profitable for you.

    There is probably plenty of good opportunity staying in Australia until you have built a really solid business here.

    Moving overseas is a totally different model.

    I know!

    I’ve run my product-based business for 9 years, and opened subs in Seattle. Challenging!

    The reality is that I shouldv’e been clearer about the purpose of doing this, rather than chasing the new shiny ring.

    Now I’m a business consultant, I warn my small business clients to take care. Shore up what you’ve got before you jump.

    Also, I wonder whether your adwords are not setup properly?

    #1134166
    RobynLee
    Member
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    0
    ::
    Jenny Spring, post: 152988 wrote:
    Make sure that your current Australian-based customers are being well served, and that you aren’t creating a whole new business that may not be profitable for you.

    Also, I wonder whether your adwords are not setup properly?

    Hi Jenny, thanks for your input. I believe my Aus. based customers are being fairly well served–no complaints so far, though I am sure there are ways to enhance their experience; something I’m working on.

    I am not really interested in building up a brand new business, nor selling actual products to overseas customers — too expensive to post.

    I’d just like to have something my international visitors could purchase — perhaps an eBook — that’s about all I could come up with.

    I’m not running Adwords at present as I’m presently revamping my logo and online shop. Once the site is set up to my satisfaction I’ll probably go with a local advertiser like myshopping.com.au though I believe I could only target Aus. customers with Adwords too?

    Thanks again for your comments.

    #1134167
    Jenny Spring
    Member
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    0
    ::
    RobynLee, post: 153968 wrote:
    Hi Jenny, thanks for your input. I believe my Aus. based customers are being fairly well served–no complaints so far, though I am sure there are ways to enhance their experience; something I’m working on.

    I am not really interested in building up a brand new business, nor selling actual products to overseas customers — too expensive to post.

    I’d just like to have something my international visitors could purchase — perhaps an eBook — that’s about all I could come up with.

    I’m not running Adwords at present as I’m presently revamping my logo and online shop. Once the site is set up to my satisfaction I’ll probably go with a local advertiser like myshopping.com.au though I believe I could only target Aus. customers with Adwords too?

    Thanks again for your comments.

    Is that what they are interested in? An ebook?

    The most important step, in my humble opinion, is to get them onto your mailing list. That way you can reach them directly and on a regular basis. Also, you can survey and find out what their interests are.

    #1134168
    RobynLee
    Member
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    0
    ::
    Jenny Spring, post: 153969 wrote:
    Is that what they are interested in? An ebook?

    The most important step, in my humble opinion, is to get them onto your mailing list. That way you can reach them directly and on a regular basis. Also, you can survey and find out what their interests are.

    Hi Jenny, thanks for your comments.

    I am writing an eBook at present, sort of a “Tea for Dummies” type book covering all the basics of loose leaf teas — what types, how to brew, how to store, etc. The bulk of my customers at present, those I am trying to target, are people who want to drink tea because of health benefits, etc., but don’t know much about the types, or preparation, etc. So, yes possibly (hopefully, lol) it would be of interest to a certain segment of visitors to my site and as such may be something that would interest international visitors.

    I do have a mailing list (using Mailchimp) and I send out semi-regular newsletters introducing new items for sale, specials, etc. I am not very regular, though, so this is on the cards for something I am going to work on during this current quarter. I only offer people the opportunity to sign up if/when they purchase something, so I presently only have Aust. customers on my list. Surveys sound good, thanks. I’ll look into that.

    #1134169
    Jenny Spring
    Member
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    0
    ::

    You definitely want to make sure that the traffic is genuine and potential buyer for your current products before building a new business model.

    But if you run out the survey, or at least have it as a poll on your website, then that could be a really interesting new venture for you.

    Jenny

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.