Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Need marketing help for skincare business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    RICH Skincare
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I have just launched my own skincare line “RICH Skincare”, http://www.richskincare.com.au and need some help with marketing tips. I have a facebook page, contacted a few online websites and publications and have ordered DL and brochures. But I am finding it all a bit costly. Does anyone have suggestions on low-cost ways to promote a skincare business?

Also any feedback on the website content would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Danielle

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Danielle,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and apologies that your first post got held up in our moderation queue for a while there.

Well done to you on creating such a professional looking range :) I hope you pick up lots of tips here and build a thriving business.

Best of luck,
    Jayne

Sonja Meyer
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

Hi Danielle,

Congratulations, your range looks lovely! Your website is very clean and easy to use. I know it can be costly, as you mentioned, to do all of your design professionally, but the investment will pay off in the end.

I don’t know a lot about the industry you’re in, so I can’t suggest many marketing ideas that aren’t costly. But perhaps you can begin by thinking about your marketing in terms of the obvious:
    – Who is your target market and how can you appeal directly to them?
    – Understand the semiotics of your product: what are the associations with a product such as yours and how does this create meaning when it is being used?
    – When, where and why would they purchase your product?

Without knowing how you intend to sell the range – predominantly online or through retailers, it’s difficult to know where to start. Where are you handing out or displaying your brochures etc?

Here are some other rough ideas: Perhaps you could do an online survey (through survey monkey or something similar) about skin-care and target it at your intended demographic through a website they might frequent. Offer incentives as a reward. This way you can get their email addresses and begin sending email newsletters. Or perhaps you could offer some sort of starting promotion or package deal and marketing it through print collateral that you leave in associated retailers. Get onto Scoopon or a similar website if you can afford to have them take their fee.

I hope that helps a tiny bit. Good luck with it anyway, and keep us updated on your progress.

Cheers,
    Sonja
    http://www.sonjameyer.com.au

PocketDocket
    • Total posts: 156
    Up

Hi Danielle,

Congratulations on your launch! It must have taken a lot of work to develop and produce your range.

The first thing I’d ask myself is what differentiates your product from every other skin care product on the market – really be tough on yourself. You need to come up with something that is totally unique to your brand, otherwise you fall between the cracks of L’Oreal etc.. especially for the price you are asking.

I recently read an article about another skincare startup and how they differentiated themselves from the competition – http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/222854

Their product really stands out from the crowd!

Next step is to define your ideal target audience – I don’t know much about your industry, but I get the feeling you’re targeting (roughly) females aged 35+ and fairly well off (judging from your prices and products). So perhaps working female professionals. Think about where they congregate, what they read, where they shop, what websites they visit – this is where you need to be.

If you ship worldwide, I’d check out Pinterest- if you can get some awesome pics of your products/ people using your products, you can get some serious traffic to your website.

Alongside your inhouse marketing efforts, I’d also be talking to retailers such as chemists etc… to look at stocking your products.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

With skin care products, I find the biggest success in skin care brands is from word of mouth. Women will use things other “beautiful” women use or women with nice skin. I guess you can say it’s a aspirational mentality. You’re aspiring to have nicer skin and be more healthy/beautiful.

See if you contact any beauty bloggers and do a sponsored review – that will cost you a little bit, but you are more likely to be trusted. Let the blogger be honest. Create a launch event with some goodie bags and invite bloggers along and hopefully some will blog about you.

Good luck :) It looks great!

Thanks for reading,

Wendy

Anon
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

I would spent (possibly sacrifice) some money and try an ADWORDS campaign and see how it goes. However I have a feeling your target keywords would be quite expensive.

Also wanted to say I really like your website and product name.

RICH Skincare
    Up

Thanks Jayne, Sonja, Jeremy, Wendy and Anon all of this really helps!

Jeremy you are spot on! We are targeting 35+ career women.

“Think about where they congregate, what they read, where they shop, what websites they visit – this is where you need to be.” I totally agree, I guess the hard part if working out where these women go and how much it will cost to make a presence there.

Also we have contacted a couple of bloggers so I am glad Wendy has suggested that so I know it’s a good idea. I definitely want to sell wholesale but I need to work on a contract between us and the retailer which I haven’t looked into yet (contracts are a bit daunting). We have a friend doing a market stall for us this weekend so hopefully that goes well. Our brochures and DL’s won’t be ready for a week but when they do come I think that will really help.

Thanks everyone for the nice words about the brand, that was the hardest part in setting up the business. All of these ideas are great and I will be sure to look into them.

Danielle

Gavin_S
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Hi Danielle,
    Great looking website and product range!
    There’s been some great suggestions made in this thread already, the only other thing I would add is to look for some strategic alliances that can possibly work with you to help promote your range to their customer base.
    Some obvious choices would be skincare clinics, laser clinics, etc.
    One other thought is hair salons. Do they stock similar items? If not, why not? Perhaps this is an excellent opportunity for you to offer a complimentary range in high end salons? (note I haven’t been in a salon in 15+ years so I have no idea if they have Skincare lines or not….. Some would call me bald, whereas I prefer to think of my head as aerodynamic).
    Something else to consider – look at the popularity of “makeup tutorials” on YouTube. There is massive demand for knowledge, insights, tips and advice in the beauty and Skincare industry. My suggestion is to look at how you can play in that space as well.
    Good luck!

Gavin

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

To be honest with you, I don’t see RICH skincare looking or feeling different from an established skincare brand. If I was at Myer, walking through the skincare section and seeing all these different products, this would not stand out.

Your product needs to be something that stands out and says “WOW”. Imagine yourself on a long drive.. Lot’s of farms along the way right? All you see are sheep and cows.. but IMAGINE if you all of a sudden saw a PURPLE cow, now wouldn’t that be something that would catch your eye? People will want to drive up next to it.. take pictures of it, share it on facebook, etc

It’s the exact same way in which a brand grows, you really need that remarkable point of difference!

Better being different than being normal.

tkc2012
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

There are some really helpful responses here! Especially the one about finding out where your target market’s eyeballs are.

I think NickHumphries‘ response is quite one-dimensional and don’t agree with it at all. Sure, “looks” have much to do with the success of a brand, but a brand is more than that. I think your packaging is very eye catching – sure, it’s no purple cow in a barren field but it stands out and isn’t too samesy. You need to worry about your entire brand – not just one or two elements. That includes your key points of differentiation and your voice.

B2B50
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I like the website , but was wondering about a lead capture (subscriber optin) above the fold. In return for a subscription to your marketing emails (to sell stuff) you could give away a report on the subject of your cosmetic range and maybe upsell a cheaper priced product for a higher package once a new customer has subscribed to your email list. I would be talking to your dropship or vendor suppliers about some free giveaways to build your list and have the drop ship to your subscribers address. You would build a loyal base that way.

Hope that helps.

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up
    tkc2012, post: 121176 wrote:
    There are some really helpful responses here! Especially the one about finding out where your target market’s eyeballs are.

I think NickHumphries‘ response is quite one-dimensional and don’t agree with it at all. Sure, “looks” have much to do with the success of a brand, but a brand is more than that. I think your packaging is very eye catching – sure, it’s no purple cow in a barren field but it stands out and isn’t too samesy. You need to worry about your entire brand – not just one or two elements. That includes your key points of differentiation and your voice.

One dimensional? Oh please.

I wasn’t referring to looks alone, but for most people they buy a skincare product at a shopping mall, chemist, etc.

For a completely new brand with no reputation how will they stand out from the crowd?

Does a RICH Skincare product look any different from this?

http://www.beautyholicsanonymous.com/beautyholics/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/P1100645.jpg

There’s really nothing different in a rich skincare product.. MAYBE there is, but you sure haven’t done a good enough job to show me that..

I wish them success as with all flying solo members, but in a market where there are 1000’s of brands vowing for your attention – this company just feels like it’s going to be at the bottom of the pack..

Nikita
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

Hi Danielle,

May I suggest to try Deals and Sales project – it’s my second business. The only thing is you will need to discount 3 products for a week, I haven’t find any specials on your website at the moment.

So, how it works? You will need to register, select 3 specials and upload images and information onto our website under Weekly Deals. After you done that the system will automatically generate landing page for you (using your logo and brand colors). Weekly deals will be launched at 12pm the day you have selected – the message will go to our iPhone App subscribers as push notification (4000 users at the moment), daily email (around 500) and will be featured on our home page and under weekly deals section for a week.

You can check similar landing page here: http://bit.ly/LnU6OJ

Ah, yes, it is free as well.

Hope this helps.

You can register here: http://www.dealsandsales.com.au/register/

Nikita

RICH Skincare
    Up
    novnik, post: 121351 wrote:
    Hi Danielle,

May I suggest to try Deals and Sales project – it’s my second business. The only thing is you will need to discount 3 products for a week, I haven’t find any specials on your website at the moment.

So, how it works? You will need to register, select 3 specials and upload images and information onto our website under Weekly Deals. After you done that the system will automatically generate landing page for you (using your logo and brand colors). Weekly deals will be launched at 12pm the day you have selected – the message will go to our iPhone App subscribers as push notification (4000 users at the moment), daily email (around 500) and will be featured on our home page and under weekly deals section for a week.

You can check similar landing page here: http://bit.ly/LnU6OJ

Ah, yes, it is free as well.

Hope this helps.

You can register here: http://www.dealsandsales.com.au/register/

Nikita

Thanks Nikita, this sounds great! I will look into it asap :)

gen Y advantage
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

I would make a video and educate customers about your brand and skin care – especially why it’s important to have no sulphates, parabens etc.. (as for the average person, they wouldn’t have a clue – sure it’s better, but how/why)

A video right before the products would be great. I’m sure some soloists here can direct you to a good videographer.

That video can then be put up on all your other social media sites/strategies. Also get some friends/family/colleagues to test it out and write or post video reviews of the product and how it’s different from the others.

Best wishes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.