Home – New Forums Other discussions Need opinion on website sign-up process

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MichaelG
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on website sign-up account creation.
    I’ve recently launched my website (http://www.AppointmentSMS.com) which allows businesses to schedule SMS appointment reminders for customers.

During the sign-up process, I require that the new user enter their mobile phone number, and an account activation code is sent to their mobile which they use to activate their account (similar to how internet banks now operate).

The reasons I implemented this process are:

1) to prevent someone creating multiple accounts and claim more than their fair share of free credits (you get 5 credits on sign-up to try it out)
    2) so that their mobile number is recorded in the system, in case they want their customer’s SMS replies forwarded directly to their mobile, and
    3) to demonstrate that the system works (getting an SMS straight away will make the potential customer more likely to trust that their scheduled SMS’s will be received)

I notice that quite a number of people reach the signup page, but do not go on any further (they leave without creating their free account). The only reason I can think of is that perhaps most people are uncomfortable providing their mobile number, or they don’t want to use their personal mobile number for business purposes.

What do you think? Do you think it’s too much that I make entering a mobile number mandatory? Perhaps I should make it optional, but only give the 5 free credit’s to those who choose to enter their mobile number?

I’m very interested to hear your opinions :)

Cheers,
    Michael

MJS_Virtual
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

Hi Michael,

I quite like the process, and this opinion is just from my point of view – it may not be the reason people are stalling at this point of your process.

Over the past few months I’ve been getting increasing amounts of marketing messages SMS’d to my mobile – that I never signed up for and half are from companies I’ve never heard of – so the people signing up to your site may be concerned about what their number is being used for and wary about receiving marketing SMS’ and the possibility of having their information onsold to other businesses.

Do you have any sort of “fine print” that tells them why you need this information? And maybe assure them that their information won’t be onsold and they won’t be bombarded by marketing material.

Anyway – that’s just my two cents worth :-)

Melissa Williscroft
    MJS Virtual Business Support
    http://www.mjsvirtual.com.au

MichaelG
    Up

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have put a message next to the phone number field (“an SMS with an account activation code will be sent to this mobile phone”), and in my website’s privacy policy I outline that I do not sell private information etc., but i guess nobody reads those things so perhaps I should explicitly state that on the sign-up page as you suggest (and re-assure visitors that they won’t get any unsolicited spam to their mobile).

I too wouldn’t have a problem using my mobile to sign up for such a service, i’m curious to see what other people think about the subject :)

Cheers,
    Michael

nadine_zrinzo
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi Michael,

As you are providing a service that uses mobile numbers I wouldn’t see a problem with giving my number out. It is justified.

I sometimes think that people fill in forms to see what happens – out of curiosity or perhaps to see how easy it is to sign up to your service. They might not need it straight away but feel comfortable knowing that its easy to do so when they do need it. You might want to encourage ppl to sign on even though they do not need the service immediately – perhaps more free credits as a xmas bonus?

Do you know have a way of working out which of your visitors are stepping away from your site before signing on? There might be some links between particular marketing messages and those that move off?

Another suggestion would be to try removing the compulsory mobile number for a week or so (if you can) and see if that makes any difference.

Hope this helps – good luck with your new site!

Nadine

MichaelG
    Up

Thanks for your post Nadine.

It’s re-assuring to know that there’s no strong objections to providing a mobile phone number to sign up to a service like my website. I’ll keep it how it is, and perhaps try disabling it for a week in January if I still get the same results.

I’m using google analytics on my website to get statistics, although i’m new to it so i guess i’m not fully utilizing it’s functionality. I’ll do some research on google analytics and hopefully try to pin-point the reasons for the behaviour, as you say it might be something unrelated.

Cheers,
    Michael

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Set up Google Analytics with the final sign up confirmation page as the ‘Goal’, it’s free and easy. Monitor the current process for a month then change the process to a normal email activation process for a month then log into Analytics and check the results. If your conversion rate is higher without the mobile activation you need to weigh up the benefits of the mobile activation (reducing the costs of fraud) against the benefits of having more people sign up.

My guess is you will find that the less info you ask of people the more likely they will be to sign up so you will get more conversions with method 2 but it’s free an easy to test so that is what I would do.

Thanks

Dan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.