Home – New Forums Starting your journey need some advice rg clothing samples I had made

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robselc
    • Total posts: 56
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,
    After doing much sourcing online i finally found a Manufacturer in India I felt would be competent enough to make some samples for me. I just recieved the samples and to no surprise I am not impressed with the quality.
    However, I still have my hopes set high for this particular manufacturer since they meet a few of my important requirements- they are an ethical company, and they produce organic clothing…….
    Heres the thing, the samples they sent were not organic cotton, (which he told me they would not be but i just let it go so I could view the quality of the stiching)
    The stiching quality was poor, garments looked rushed and overall nothing a high end clothing store would sell.
    Im just wondering if its normal to receive first samples of clothing not up to specs and if its sometimes worth it to keep working with a company. Its not the first company I have recieved poor quality garments from, yet all these companies seem to boast that they manufacturer for labels all over the world. This particular company also has their own line which I had a look at and it seemed like quality clothing and stiching so Im not sure why i have recieved these messy garments.
    My plan is to contact him and outline my concerns and see if he offers to send me better quality garments no charge.
    Whats everyones experience in this area?

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Robselc, post: 163573 wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    After doing much sourcing online i finally found a Manufacturer in India I felt would be competent enough to make some samples for me. I just recieved the samples and to no surprise I am not impressed with the quality.
    However, I still have my hopes set high for this particular manufacturer since they meet a few of my important requirements- they are an ethical company, and they produce organic clothing…….
    Heres the thing, the samples they sent were not organic cotton, (which he told me they would not be but i just let it go so I could view the quality of the stiching)
    The stiching quality was poor, garments looked rushed and overall nothing a high end clothing store would sell.
    Im just wondering if its normal to receive first samples of clothing not up to specs and if its sometimes worth it to keep working with a company. Its not the first company I have recieved poor quality garments from, yet all these companies seem to boast that they manufacturer for labels all over the world. This particular company also has their own line which I had a look at and it seemed like quality clothing and stiching so Im not sure why i have recieved these messy garments.
    My plan is to contact him and outline my concerns and see if he offers to send me better quality garments no charge.
    Whats everyones experience in this area?
    I’ve offshore manufactured for 10 years in my other business -www.bragbags.com.au.

The samples are always better than the final product.

RUN … don’t walk …. RUN away from this company.

If you are getting bad samples now, you’ll get even worse production items.

Jenny

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

The strange thing when dealing with a lot of manufacturers in Asia is the way they see the samples.

I always think a sample should represent the very best of what is on offer, after all it is the initial way for the factory to show you the quality of their products.

But many factories don’t seem to understand this concept and are happy just to throw something together just to say they sent a sample. When you question them its like they shrug the shoulders and just think you are being too fussy.

Having said that, there are reasons why sample may not be as good as he finished product (not just relating to clothing) May be:-

1. The sample was handmade whereas the mass production would be machine made. This can be why samples may be ‘rougher” quality than mass production

2. The people making the samples are often not the people who do the mass production. They have specific “sample rooms” where this is done

3. Often production for existing orders takes precedence, so the sample request becomes less important, and then gets done urgently to meet the timeframe that was promised resulting in poorer workmanship.

The initial (and natural) response is to walk away and find someone else. But his isn’t necessarily the answer.

Without knowing the specifics, I would be trying to understand why the quality is poor and just as importantly seeing if they accept that what they have done is poor quality.

If they don’t accept the sample quality was poor then I would leave them straight away, but if they acknowledge it, then that’s at least something to offer some comfort that they know of the problem.

Ultimately, there is no yes or no answer you can only make a judgment call.

But I would consider this:-

a. If you leave them what is to say the next factory will be better?
    b. Definitely get new samples made if not satisfied, and get samples through the production process
    c. Consider having someone do an inspection of he goods before you pay for them if that would make you more comfortable
    d. Never trust people to do what they say. Always keep track of what’s happening

Hope some of that may help a little

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.