Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Need some advice.. This has not happenede before.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Safe Skies
    • Total posts: 202
    Up
    ::

The Credit Card company has taken $989.00 from us for an Online sale!!

We had an order on our website, we sent the items from Sydney to Tasmania and its tracked a customers address.

The order was placed on the 20th October, and delivered on the 4Th Nov. the Charge back just happened yesterday on the 17th Nov.

We have lodged a complaint and asked for this to be reversed.

Does anybody have any advice on this?
    If it was a case of Fraud, how do i get my items back?

Thanks in advance

Gareth

J.Zkan
    • Total posts: 87
    Up

There is nothing you can do unfortunately, this is called “Friendly-Fraud”

But here are some steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

Send Confirmations
    Send a confirmation email to every client. Go a step further and use an electronic signature page. These pages make the terms of the purchase and customer agreement clear.

Require CVV2
    Always require the card verification value, or CVV2 number at the time of purchase. That security number on the actual card proves the person making the purchase has possession of the card, not just the card’s number. The presence of the CVV2 on your receipt can aid you in chargeback disputes.

Utilize 3-D Secure
    Consider participating in 3-D secure payer authentication services such as Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode. Depending on the participants in each transaction, your liability for chargebacks may be minimized. There’s a possible downside – some customers hate having to use the necessary passwords. On the plus side, those who hesitate to shop online because of identity theft or fraud fears welcome this protection.

Use AVS
    Address Verification Service (AVS) is an anti-fraud tool that when combined with delivery signatures can significantly increase your chances of winning a chargeback. Visa notes that requiring signature upon delivery for items sent to a customer after the business receives an AVS code indicating an address and zip code match at the time of checkout is a great way to protect against chargebacks.

Record IP Addresses
    Keep a record of the IP address used to make transactions. This information will reveal the geographic area where a computer accessed the internet. If a cardholder uses their computer to initiate a chargeback, and the IP address used points to the same location the computer was used to make the order in question, there’s a chance the cardholder is attempting friendly fraud (especially if the mailing address matches as well). Claiming a charge was unauthorized does not hold up as well when the cardholder’s correct billing address, and more importantly, his IP address, was involved in the process.

Require Signatures for Delivery
    If feasible, use a delivery service that requires the recipient’s signature, along with real-time tracking and delivery. That may not be practical for every order, but consider setting a monetary threshold that makes sense for your business, and require a signature. It’s hard for a customer to claim they didn’t receive an item when their signature is on the delivery receipt.

Make Contact Easy
    This step is more important for general chargeback prevention, but is worth noting. Most customers who don’t receive their merchandise or experience a damaged delivery don’t contact the business, but notify the card issuer. Make it easy for customers with genuine issues to get in touch with you 24/7, and give detailed instructions to your customer service team for handling these complaints. Deliberate fraudsters will still initiate the chargeback process with the card issuer, but providing and publicizing good customer service lowers the chargeback rate for misunderstandings.

Safe Skies
    Up

HI

Thanks for your reply.

I find it amazing that people can just steal products from you and there is nothing that can be done?

So we should just all order what we like, a company can ship it to us and even if they have proof of delivery, we just get the money charged back???

I find it really weird that this can happen.

Gareth

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Its unfortunately one of the risks operating a merchant account, you sign AND agree to chargebacks and so forth – banks want to protect their card holders, they will not foot the bill for fraud so the chargeback occurs.

If you can provide enough documentation such as email address, delivery address, signature, etc etc etc as above sometimes the chargeback – if proven to be fraudulent on behalf of the real card holder – can be reversed. You are given an opportunity to support the transaction and submit it all.

If, however, the card was fraudulently used and shipped to TASMANIA (it happens there for some reason where international fraudsters pay people to received and onship goods) and was genuine not the card holder placing the charge, it will be clawed back from you – unfortunately.

At this point, if fraud, it is then up to you to lodge a fraudulent case with the police and advise you were scammed – give them the phone number, the address and all relevant information.. Not saying much will come from it, although you may then be able to claim against insurance, if covered.

Furthermore, when i did a few large transactions i learnt a few simple things as i was quite sceptical of some names/addresses and $$ amounts which were:
    a) if i was uncomfortable with the deal for some reason i would call the customer, check the name they answered the phone by (if no name ask whom i was speaking to) and verify the purchase – do a little googling too on number, address and name if warrants.
    b) had a few chargebacks, none ever stood and what i found was if i merely called them (again check name that answers phone) and discussed, most issues were someone not recognising the name of the business – you may trade under abc but merchant is xyz pty ltd and so forth and they cant marry the 2 together – or it may be a husband purchase and wife sees it being hte account holder and lodges a claim not aware of the purchase etc etc – sometimes a call can confirm all this and whilst in the investigative stage be reversed and you retain your funds. Just an honest mistake sometimes..

All the best, dont be disheartened and i know thats hard to hear, although it may just be a simple oversight.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Safe Skies
    Up

Thanks Jason.
    Ill look into this further tomorrow.

Thanks

Gareth

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.