Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Need some feedback on my Directory

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dani
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Thanks Chris for pointing me in this direction, I have just this week uploaded a Directory for Adelaide Businesses and community groups.

I am not a webmaster or graphic designer so am unable to change anything to do with design. What I am really looking for are suggestions for categories to include and the best way to get it to rank well and reach my target audience.

Also should I start of offering free listings in return for reciprocal links to get me started with listings or is what i am charging appropriate?

Please help…

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    Dani, post: 18719 wrote:
    Also should I start of offering free listings in return for reciprocal links to get me started with listings or is what i am charging appropriate?

Hit the nail on the head :P I thought it was free until I went to add a listing, and while I think $25 is pocket change for a years listing, I still didn’t do it. Why?

You don’t have Google power! I would be paying for a low value back link, I certainly am not going to get any hits from people using your directory itself (had this argument with TrueLocal yesterday).

You do a search on Google for “computer repairs paralowie”, and I’ve got:
    1st – Google Local, direct (free)
    2nd – Hot frog directory, with me first (free)
    3rd – Yahoo local, direct (free)
    5th – Start Local, direct (free)
    2nd PAGE – True local directory, with me first (PAID)

If I paid for your directory, I don’t even think I’d be in the first 50 pages. True Local can’t even compete with these free directories!

Not to say yours can’t be successful, but it puts things in perspective. You can have a fantastic website, but truth is people don’t go to your site to search for a business. They go to Google.

Feedback for your actual site itself, one thing I noted and disliked was the fact I click on a main category and get no listings, I have to go to the actual sub-category to get the listings.

Either show all listings under that main category and all it’s sub categories, or once they click “Computers” show a list of all of the sub categories. It was just confusing.

Hope you don’t hate me :P

Cheers,
    Chris

Dani
    Up

Chris thank you for the feedback (even if your tone is a little demeaning) what i have decided to do is change the ADD A LISTING to a reciprocal link arrangement because that is what I am aiming fr in the beginning to help me rank.

As for the way I have listed the sub categories;I agree with what you have suggested. I may have to contact the designer to find out how to do this without deleting 475 categories.

Cheers

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

By the way the link in your signature is wrong, goes to .co not .com

Sorry if I offended, I think I’m still worked up from my argument with True Local :P

Glad you agree about the category display, I think that will be a good change for usability. Also look into SEF URLs for your categories, that will greatly help with your SEO.

Also suggest that “Internet & Computers” be renamed to “Computers & Internet”.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Chris

Dani
    Up

Thanks for letting me know :)

Cheers

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Whilst there is some value in reciprocal linking ….. you need QUALITY websites to link to you.

So just having a heap of “backlinks” to your website isn’t enough… they need to be QUALITY backlinks. Thus once your website starts to rank well on google.. you can prove to people that the $25 (by the way, your site better have the traffic and offer me a good quality link for that price!) is well worth it.

http://www.webconfs.com/importance-of-backlinks-article-5.php

When search engines calculate the relevance of a site to a keyword, they consider the number of QUALITY inbound links to that site. So we should not be satisfied with merely getting inbound links, it is the quality of the inbound link that matters.

MylesWearring
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Hi Chris

Just wanted to point out that the free Yahoo!7 Local listing you mention is in fact your Truelocal.com.au listing – Yahoo!7 Local is a joint venture between TrueLocal and Yahoo, giving all our customers more exposure.

Another of our content partners is Google Maps – and the third Google Map result in your search result list is content provided by TrueLocal about another business listed on our site.

Here’s a list of other partners giving our customers more exposure: http://www.truelocal.com.au/cms/business-centre-products

Best,
    Myles Wearring, Truelocal.com.au editor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.