Home – New Forums Starting your journey Need some help on opening a takeway

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bassosa
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone,

After years of brainstorming and trying to think of ‘that great idea’ my girlfriend and I think we might have reached that point where we’re serious about starting our own business. As devote ‘foodies’ and my girlfriend being a private chef it is only logical that it would be in food & beverage, ie. a takeaway focussing on ‘home cooked’ quailty foods. As part of our market research we would like to come into contact with people already in the trade, ie. business owners who own/operate one or more takeaways that are willing to share their knowledge to help 2 people forfill their dream.

We’d like to avoid walking into a takeway and asking for the manager as we don’t want to impede or waste anyones time. We’re new to Australia (just moved from UK) so don’t know many people yet.

Any advice, tips or leads are greatly appreciated!

Bas

VanessaCaputo
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

The food industry is hard work :).

Best of luck with it. Can’t offer that much advice on my thoughts on running a take away shop other than that.

I can help you if you buy the business from someone or with your lease. I see so many people not understanding this aspect and there is so much to consider which people don’t know a lot about and usually regret when they don’t get professional advice.

If you have any specific questions with this aspect dont hesitate to call me or just post something on this forum.

Regs

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hi Bas,

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately I won’t be able to help you, but would just like to wish you the best of luck with your new venture!

– Jake

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Bas,

Welcome to Australia! You’ve chosen a nice part of the world to settle in, and a fun industry to join, even if, as Vanessa says, it is going to be hard work.

We’ll put the word out and see if we can find any advice for you. Fingers crossed!

Good luck,
    Jayne

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi again Bas,

I just realised that I misread your name yesterday, and thought you were in the Barossa, rather than that your name is Basossa! I’m so sorry! :P

Where are you based? That might help us point you in the right direction for advice.

Cheers
    Jayne

Mozzie
    Up

Hi Guys, I work for a Retail Display Company, so if you need shop fittings look at our website http://www.showfront.com we are a manufacturer so you can cut out the middle man so to speak. regards Maureen

Farid Zaki
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Hi Bas,

All great businesses started with the owners having a passion and pursuing it, so good on you for taking this first step.

Research what type of takeaway food you want to start or buy, location where you want that business, your target market and customers, do a business and a marketing plan and follow on with that.

I can only help you with Accounting and Taxation advice in relation to takeaway businesses, if you donot have an accountant already.

Good luck with your venture.

Thought Leader
    Up

Hi Bas….

I think what you are doing is great and speaking to local owners is an excellent idea.

An idea you may want to look at before starting a cafe is the both of you gaining some experience in the field an in a new country is by doing some work experience , paid or unpaid just to gain the operational knowledge and the geographical conditions .i.e how it’s done in certain suburbs , different styles of cafe’s etc…

i am also able to help you with some contacts as well in the industry.

I hope this helps

nick p

Bassosa
    Up

Hello Jayne and others!

First of all thanks for the kind words and useful advice (plus business offers; I should warn you, I’m Dutch and extremely stingy plus I have a nasty habit of always wanting to do things myself!). Should let everyone know we’re based in Melbourne and are focussing our efforts on the eastern suburbs.

Good tip on working at a shop. As soon as I receive my Australian residency I will apply for a shop assistant job at a takeway which (sort of) shares our philosophy. Would love to know the ins and outs of operating a shop like that, especially keen to find out about turn-over, profit margins, food prep methods and loss of profit due to food wastage. Also, we’re lacking experience in dealing with customers.

I have to slow myself down sometimes, but I have now come to the conclusion that I do not want to commit myself to this business until I have lived here for a full year. One of the pitfalls which I want to avoid is setting up shop in the wrong suburb in the wrong street etc. Got to know the city for that!

We’re also planning on showcasing our foods at a local (farmers) market to get an idea on what people think of our recipes and to get a feel for what price people deem appropriate for what’s on offer. Should be fun.

Thanks again, and as usual any tips are more than welcome.

Bas

@NickP
    Thanks again, I will be in touch!

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up

Our local takeaway does a roaring trade and I think it’s simply because they have enough variety that the whole family is happy with something from the board – and they have a “signature” burger “the super burger” which they do really well. I think the trick is the signature burger brings in dad or big brother, so the rest of the family may as well get dinner too – the “upsell”.

Bassosa
    Up
    Mozzie, post: 48092 wrote:
    Hi Guys, I work for a Retail Display Company, so if you need shop fittings look at our website http://www.showfront.com we are a manufacturer so you can cut out the middle man so to speak. regards Maureen

Hi Mozzie.

What should I budget in for shop fit-out keeping in mind the following factors:

– Small, small, takeaway. Almost hole-in-the-wall kind of thing (40 m2)
    – Less is more. High quality furnishings but quite minimalistic

I know every project is different ofcourse but could you provide me with a ballpark figure?

I read somewhere that fit out of a cafe typically costs $1500 per m2. Does this apply to takeaways as well?

Thanks again,
    Bas

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.