Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Need some momentum…Here’s where I start.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MJB
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hello all,

After a year of planning, designing, printing, creating and visions of success, I now find myself ready but overwhelmingly apprehensive about taking my business to the masses.

I have started an an online lost and found pet search….our point of difference I hear you ask?? We will proactively send out details of all listed lost & found pets via SMS and email to our registered members in and around the suburb of the lost pet to help spread the word further and faster than ever before.

We also list our pets on our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/findmypetcomau/82007275285?ref=sgm

I am continuing to build our membership base (its free to register) and up until now have been listing most lost pets for free to try and create interest and future business. The time has come for this business to start turning over some income.

Now that I am here, I am nervous, a little lost and want to start these wheels turning.

I would appreciate a visit to my site and some feedback, ideas and comments.

http://www.findmypet.com.au

Thanks

I look forward to some positive and constructive comments.

Melanie

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi Melanie,

Good luck with the business! As you already have members, you have more to offer people listing lost pets now, so this should allow you to more easily charge for the service. Just remember, you have to be confident that you are offering a worthwhile service, so that you convince people it is reasonable to pay for it – remind yourself (and anyone else answering the phone or responding to email enquiries) of this BEFORE you pick up the phone – you are delivering something useful, which deserves compensation. :-)

Let us know how it goes.

Kathy

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Welcome Melanie,

Great to see you have your business up and running.

I have a couple of comments on your site as you have asked:
    – simple layout is very good
    – to me the logo takes up too much screen real estate, especially after you go to the internal pages – it makes the listings a bit tight
    – I didnt know you were Gold-Coast only until I happened apon it in the news – it would probably be good to start out with the home page having a map of Australia and with Gold Coast as the only one currently available (that gives you the opportunity to easily franchise/license the other areas…)

Hope that helps?

Kev

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Melanie

Congratulations on your progress so far – I’m sure there will be plenty of pet owners who applaud your efforts. Just reading your FaceBook page brought a tear to my eye.

Do you have any success stories you can share with potential members/advertisers on the home page of your website? For example if you could add a few testimonials along the lines of “We’d nearly lost all hope of ever seeing Fido again but thanks to Melanie and her army of 200 pet hunters he’s now safely back home”, I think it would be very powerful.

Welcome to Flying Solo, and good luck to you and all “your” pets.
    Jayne

MJB
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Well Thank You to all that have given me encouragement and advice…I really appreciate it. I now realise what a wonderful resource I have at my fingertips, a wealth of knowledge and experience that I can draw on when I need some direction.

Thank You again,

Melanie

Mark Prosser
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hi Melanie,

I agree with Jayne, a few success stories are what people want to read on the first page.

Pets don’t need woolly jackets, little cute hats or even costumes, but they are available and they sell by the container load. Pet owners are emotional buyers when it comes to their pets. I don’t know how many times I’ve been in the pet shop and left with another toy for my two dogs to play with.

You know some clever advertising will help you on your way. People always look at ‘missing pets’ signs – perhaps you can use this to your advantage? A few dummy missing pet signs around town advertising your business would do no harm.

As for charging – perhaps people could be encourage to make a donation when their pet is found through your service?

I’m sure you have many ideas and I can’t wait to hear more about this business.

Regards,

Mark.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.