Home – New Forums Starting your journey Need some motivation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    keepsmiling
    • Total posts: 53
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone. I was hoping people on here could share their feedback on postive stories. Basically today I started promoting a product to small business in the city today. I cold called about 20 cafes and 10 of them had recieved the government funded courses already and about six just took my number and 4 may be interested.
    The question I have is how does one stay motivated-to keep cold calling-as I dont really have funds to pay someone to be an appointment setter.
    So I am just wondering if others could be so kind to share their stories on their success at cold calling-does it get easier?
    Should I keep going?
    How do you keep yourself motivated when you feel like you are not getting anywhere?
    Thanks for any suggestions you can provide :)))))))

Big Col
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

I can strongly recommend downloading (buying or via a torrent – I use isohunt.com with Limewire but I will be punished in another lifetime) some sales tapes. I cringed at the thought at first but they have been really useful.

Zig Ziglar – amusing and motivating and a good ol’ fashioned kind of guy
    Jerry Hocutt – I recently heard the telephone section of his Cold Calling For Cowards and can highly recommend.

There are countless others and I think it depends on your personality which ones appeal.

The two big take aways that I got were that (1) cold calling doesn’t have to be a painful activity. I was able to make the calls previously but kept procrastinating because there was always an uneasy feeling in my gut so I never really enjoyed it – but good news it doesn’t have to be that way. I’m definitely a WIP but listening to professional sales people discuss the topic will change the way that you view what you are doing and help you to approach it in a healthier mindset.

(2) Hearing their anecdotes really puts what you are doing into perspective. They all have stories of doorknocking every business in a 20 story office block or cold calling 12 hrs a day over a range of time zones and just sorting through the vast number of available prospects to get their sales. Once you hear these visiting 20 businesses and not walking away with any hot leads won’t feel as bad. Their key lesson is usually persistence rather than any particular magic technique.

Just remember it is all part of a process. 20% interest is pretty good for a cold calling program for one thing. Getting on the phone or doorknocking yourself is the best way to learn what people want from your product and fine tune not just your sales pitch but your marketing overall.

Definitely keep going. If you cared enough to start your business in the first place then keep at it, the work you do now will snowball.

Safe Skies
    • Total posts: 202
    Up

HI

I have had lots of these days, and the only thing i can say is keep going….

Make sure you take some time after each call or at the end of a day to really think about how each call went, think about what went well and what did not, by doing this you can taylor and adapt your style and approach and achieve greater success.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Gareth

• Total posts: 151
    Up

Cold calling is tough to do.

Usually sales people qualify their calling targets first to increase the number of successful calls. Do you just select names at random or so you do some research first to make sure they are likely to be interested in the first place?

Where do you get you list of phone numbers from and they are current with people that want to be called about your products?

To keep motivated cold callers work on a dollar value system. For example if every yes call generates $1000 for your business you would say;

If it takes 10 phone calls to get a yes= $1000 divided by 10 calls =$100.

This means every no phone call actually makes you $100 closer towards your yes sale.

Hope this helps you, but I recommend trying to find another way to present your product to your potential customers. Government funded courses are flooding the market at the moment and customers have already heard the sales pitches so you need to change the message a little to make it new.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

You might find it more inspiring if you recorded some metrics about your calls.

Make up a spreadsheet, one column for every hour. Then as you’re making your calls, simply record how many calls you make in that hour, and how many engaged/answering machines/no’s/yes’s/maybe’s/emails/follow up’s you had.

Not only will that help you figure out the best times to call, it will make you review your sales process – and ultimately you will find the pattern to X calls = 1 sale.

It will get easier as time goes along, because you will get better at it. Write down the objections as well, then write answers to them all.

However, should you decide to venture into a hired call center, I would recommend Kim from the Virtual Call Center here on these forums. I’m just about to run my first campaign through her, and someone else on these forums has had fantastic results with her.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    Paul Baker, post: 31746 wrote:
    This means every no phone call actually makes you $100 closer towards your yes sale.

That was a fantastic way of putting it!

I think the tone, words, approach you use can have a big impact on how the other recipient will act.

Perhaps you can outline your approach?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Cold Calling there are a number of posts to research here on the forum.
    However what has been said here is good. With cold calling the more you do the better you get at it and when you start making sales from them you will even become more motivated to do them.

What a lot of people fail to understand just because you got a knock back this call when you recall in a month you may get a sale.

So make your cold calling a regular thing. Mark out a territory for week 1 another for week 2 and so on so that every four weeks you are in a particular area. Cold call over and over again every time your in the area.

Persistance is a virtue and a sales getter

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Hi Keepsmiling

If you have a decent product that people have a need or want for then it comes down to a numbers game. And as mentioned already each no takes you closer to a yes!

Some sales training cd’s and books will help. Each will have a different approach or methods that you can use. But you have to stay true to yourself. People buy from people they like and if you don’t ‘ring true’ customers will be put off.

So take the bits that work for you and implement them into your presentation.
    Perfect your own style. Continually assess and perfect your own performance. Keep what works and ditch what doesn’t.

Chris mentioned writing down objections. You need to make sure that you can anticipate them and overcome them. So study overcoming objections and also work on your closing technique.

Mindset was also mentioned. People trying to sell feel apologetic or as though they are hassling someone and this is reflected in their presentation. You need to take the approach taken by the professionals working in sales. That is, that you have something of value to offer these prospects. Remember you are helping them by showing them something that can improve their lives, work situation, comfort or financial situation etc

Michael Jordan has said that in his career he missed more than 9000 shots, he lost nearly 300 games, he was given the chance to make the match winning shot 26 times – and he missed. In his own words he failed over and over………..and that is why he succeeded.

There is a large attrition rate within the sales industry. But the ones who study their craft and perfect their techniques can earn mega dollars! But it usually doesn’t come overnight. Like anything if you persist and learn as much as you can then you will succeed.

Once you get on a roll you will be able to get a better idea of your ration or ‘conversion’ rate. When you start you might see 30 prospects for one sale (or whatever it is). Then after a few months or practice and study you could get this down to see 4, get 1. Then you will find yourself smiling after 3 or 4 knockbacks because you will no that a yes is just around the corner :)

Good luck :) Be like Michael Jordan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.