Home – New Forums Find the help you need Need someone to help me with WordPress.com

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    KeepitSimple
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Ahhh – so I thought I could “wing it” as I only need very basic, basic webiste at the moment. But I’ve hit a few snags and I just can’t be bothered to sit and work out how to fix it!!

I have a domain name. Have started a wordpress.com blog site to act as my website. But can’t work out how to have my domain as my site address (at the moment it’s on redirect or is that how it works??)

I also need to try and get it so when you type my business name into google my website appears not just my facebook page… I know there is a technical name for all this…

Can anyone help me and give me an approximate cost of what it would cost me to fix/ get me on track?? I’m sure webdesigners/ IT experst could fix it in a matter of moments? Do they/ you charge an hourly rate? Obviously I am trying to keep my costs down (hence I thought I could do it)…

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Keepitsimple,

From what you have said, I can think of 2 perfect guys for doing this job from the forum crowd.
    estim8
    and
    Brent from Ontrax

Im sure either will be of huge benefit to take on board.

Steve

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi

Well must say, like the blog name ;)

Along with Steves recommendations there is also another wordpress guru here, Matthew that would also welcome the opportunity..

Be well

Jason ;)

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 169784 wrote:
    Hi
    Matthew that would also welcome the opportunity..
    Thanks Jason.

You need to domain map your domain name to your WordPress.com domain.

PM or email matt@platformb.com.au if you want me to do it for you.

Cheers,

Matt

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Not really feeling the love here guys!

If you don’t have any luck with the guys above, try to catch me on Skype and I’ll help you get on track. I’m sure it won’t be anything tricky enough to warrant any charge.

– Martin

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I’m an extensive WordPress user too. Tell me, why are you using wordpress.com? You really should be using a self-hosted version of WordPress, i.e. pay for hosting and have it installed. Quite simple to do. That way you have control over the backups of your site and you don’t have any restrictions on what you can do with it in the form or advertising or even the type of theme you choose. Webhosting doesn’t have to cost a lot and WordPress is free to install.

KeepitSimple
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Thanks for replies everyone. Mathew I have sent you an email to the above email address.

Kathiemt – in all honesty the answer is probably naivety…. and I still am (naive) about all of this web stuff….. When you say webhosting doesn’t have to cost alot can you give me an approximate $…

Ideally I would like to have someone design a basic site for me (rather than my boring “free” wordpress theme) and have them manage my hosting and offer IT support, my understanding though is that this would be around the $1000 – 1800 mark though?? Just a little out of my budget as facebook and my stall at the farmers market is “most” likely to get me initial customers.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Hosting is $5 a month

Wordpress can be setup in minutes. If you want ongoing technical help, try wpcurve.com

MatthewKeath
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 169875 wrote:
    Hosting is $5 a month

Wordpress can be setup in minutes. If you want ongoing technical help, try wpcurve.comAh, cheapest hosting you can find, the $70 pm for tech support to keep the whole thing running smooth?

May as well go with managed WP host.

Will keep an eye for the email, but it doesn’t seem to have come through yet. PM your email and I will chase you up.

Nothing wrong with wordpress.com for your first website :)

MatthewKeath
    Up
    KeepitSimple, post: 169874 wrote:
    Thanks for replies everyone. Mathew I have sent you an email to the above email address.

Kathiemt – in all honesty the answer is probably naivety…. and I still am (naive) about all of this web stuff….. When you say webhosting doesn’t have to cost alot can you give me an approximate $…

Ideally I would like to have someone design a basic site for me (rather than my boring “free” wordpress theme) and have them manage my hosting and offer IT support, my understanding though is that this would be around the $1000 – 1800 mark though?? Just a little out of my budget as facebook and my stall at the farmers market is “most” likely to get me initial customers.Got the email – it went through to Spam for some reason :) will respond shortly.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I’ll respond to you direct too. I can provide hosting and the site set up for you for much less than you mention above.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 169888 wrote:
    Ah, cheapest hosting you can find, the $70 pm for tech support to keep the whole thing running smooth?

I use HG, and I think I pay $7 a month. Been using them for years and never had any issues. I’ve also used $40 a month hosting and the service was very much the same. I’m not saying that means anything, just my own personal experience.

He did say “I only need very basic, basic webiste at the moment”, so it’s unlikely he’s going to be running the westpac banking system on it, so $5 a month is probably suitable.

Whatever blows your hair back, man. :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.