Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Need to get some portfolio pieces – ideas?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #973159
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hey guys……. I should have my website for the business up soon (see sig) but need to get some websites done under the new business name to put on the site.

    I have done a lot of work in the past during my many years freelancing, but seeing as I only worked as a coder I generally just had people coming to me for coding work and/or design colleagues who had already done the design portion pass the site onto me to do any development work that needed done on the site & hence seeing as my company wasn’t responsible for the design I can’t go ahead & put it in my profile (if I wanted to put screenshots up for example).

    I obviously will be providing design services through my new business, but this work will be subcontracted out to other professional designers & the IP rights will be signed over to my company.

    However I can’t just put the site up & just have a plain text link to sites I have done programming work on explaining what I have done – let’s face it, when people go to look at a web dev’s firm portfolio, they want to see lots of pretty pics of nice looking designs.

    I have so far only done the one small job under the new company name, however this was not a whole website design – it was more a design for a large form & then coding in some advanced functionality to it.

    So what I’m looking for is some ideas to get some portfolio pieces in there?

    Would anyone here go for something like 20% – 30% off my normal prices? …or maybe something else like “Free WordPress Integration of your new site”? Any other ideas?

    Thanks a lot!!

    #1060065
    Netboost SEO
    Member
    • Total posts: 191
    Up
    0
    ::

    I’d love a free wordpress powered site

    I own about 10 domain names that I haven’t got around to developing yet…

    Maybe we could do the international version of netboost.com.au – netboost.com (some douche registered netboost.com and wants to charge me $6000 for it…)

    ideally it would be wordpress powered etc,

    I was just going to customize a free template but perhaps you can do a nicer job?

    interested?

    #1060066
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hey mate…. well my idea of providing free wordpress integrations only includes the integration of the site into WP; you would still need to obviously pay for the design work & initial xhtml/css authoring though. :)

    If that is something you are interested in then, yes… I would love to give that a go! :)

    Brett

    Netboost SEO, post: 74148 wrote:
    I’d love a free wordpress powered site

    I own about 10 domain names that I haven’t got around to developing yet…

    Maybe we could do the international version of netboost.com.au – netboost.com (some douche registered netboost.com and wants to charge me $6000 for it…)

    ideally it would be wordpress powered etc,

    I was just going to customize a free template but perhaps you can do a nicer job?

    interested?

    #1060067
    Netorigin
    Member
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    0
    ::
    CondorCreative, post: 74139 wrote:
    Hey guys……. I should have my website for the business up soon (see sig) but need to get some websites done under the new business name to put on the site.

    I have done a lot of work in the past during my many years freelancing, but seeing as I only worked as a coder I generally just had people coming to me for coding work and/or design colleagues who had already done the design portion pass the site onto me to do any development work that needed done on the site & hence seeing as my company wasn’t responsible for the design I can’t go ahead & put it in my profile (if I wanted to put screenshots up for example).

    I obviously will be providing design services through my new business, but this work will be subcontracted out to other professional designers & the IP rights will be signed over to my company.

    However I can’t just put the site up & just have a plain text link to sites I have done programming work on explaining what I have done – let’s face it, when people go to look at a web dev’s firm portfolio, they want to see lots of pretty pics of nice looking designs.

    I have so far only done the one small job under the new company name, however this was not a whole website design – it was more a design for a large form & then coding in some advanced functionality to it.

    So what I’m looking for is some ideas to get some portfolio pieces in there?

    Would anyone here go for something like 20% – 30% off my normal prices? …or maybe something else like “Free WordPress Integration of your new site”? Any other ideas?

    Thanks a lot!!

    Have you tried contacting friends and families that may require a website? Perhaps you can offer your service at a discounted price. I’m sure that’ll help build up your portfolio.

    Cheers,
    Shaun

    #1060068
    bluepenguin
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    0
    ::

    If it’s time to launch and you don’t have much, it might be worth just having a little speil explaining the situation. Maybe you can show potential customers some of your contract work that can’t be on the site in a face to face meeting.

    I was suprised that people starting asking me for quotes and having sites developed by my business, even when I had maybe 2 half finshed sites in my portfolio. (It’s still fairly weak, but it’s working for me and slowly building.)

    Most people who become your customers, will probably decide to go with you, based on the look and feel of your own site, so I’d put my effort into that.

    It shouldn’t take long to get a handful of sites up, once things get churning along.

    #1060069
    Alex Honey: Int Design
    Member
    • Total posts: 151
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi
    I understand the predicament youre in. I had the same thing when I first started, made worse by deciding to only ever photograph jobs where Id completed the whole room, so it took a while…but it will happen.

    What about offering a complete ‘make over’ package for new clients with existing websites?

    Im sure its easier to get a new client on board if they have site which they know needs updating and/or more function. Possibly more viable than aiming at the very, very start up end (where we all started) with the template sites done on a dime.

    What if you offer an incentive price linked to the right to use the completed site for promotion (assuming you usually offer deed of assignment) ?

    Its something I would have jumpped at, at one point.

    Hope that helps in some way. Im sure it wont take long for your portfolio to be full and fantastic.

    Cheers

    CondorCreative, post: 74139 wrote:
    Hey guys……. I should have my website for the business up soon (see sig) but need to get some websites done under the new business name to put on the site.

    I have done a lot of work in the past during my many years freelancing, but seeing as I only worked as a coder I generally just had people coming to me for coding work and/or design colleagues who had already done the design portion pass the site onto me to do any development work that needed done on the site & hence seeing as my company wasn’t responsible for the design I can’t go ahead & put it in my profile (if I wanted to put screenshots up for example).

    I obviously will be providing design services through my new business, but this work will be subcontracted out to other professional designers & the IP rights will be signed over to my company.

    However I can’t just put the site up & just have a plain text link to sites I have done programming work on explaining what I have done – let’s face it, when people go to look at a web dev’s firm portfolio, they want to see lots of pretty pics of nice looking designs.

    I have so far only done the one small job under the new company name, however this was not a whole website design – it was more a design for a large form & then coding in some advanced functionality to it.

    So what I’m looking for is some ideas to get some portfolio pieces in there?

    Would anyone here go for something like 20% – 30% off my normal prices? …or maybe something else like “Free WordPress Integration of your new site”? Any other ideas?

    Thanks a lot!!

    #1060070
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    0
    ::
    NetOrigin, post: 74172 wrote:
    Have you tried contacting friends and families that may require a website? Perhaps you can offer your service at a discounted price. I’m sure that’ll help build up your portfolio.

    Cheers,
    Shaun

    Well, actually now that you mention it I have roped in my sister into getting a website done for her business. She will have to pay for the design, but I have offered to do my part (the coding) for her at no charge.

    bluepenguin, post: 74188 wrote:
    Most people who become your customers, will probably decide to go with you, based on the look and feel of your own site, so I’d put my effort into that.

    True true….. at least they will have my own site to go on then haha

    Quote:
    Im sure its easier to get a new client on board if they have site which they know needs updating and/or more function. Possibly more viable than aiming at the very, very start up end (where we all started) with the template sites done on a dime.

    I’d be happy to work on a sites redesign, though I obviously couldn’t offer them the whole thing for free; just something to sweeten the deal to get them onboard. :) Which is why I was thinking perhaps offer them a free wordpress integration with their new site?

    Quote:
    What if you offer an incentive price linked to the right to use the completed site for promotion (assuming you usually offer deed of assignment) ?

    Well the agreement I have passes the copyright onto the client for the design & content, however does contain a clause that allows me to put the site into my portfolio with an included screenshot.

    Thanks everyone for the help so far! :)

    #1060071
    Techalite
    Member
    • Total posts: 80
    Up
    0
    ::

    Have you considered offering your services free of charge to a charity (maybe in exchange for a testimonial)? There are so many horrible looking charity websites out there that could really use a redesign. I realise that you have to make money, but being able to say that you gave a charity website an awesome makeover would reflect great on you, give you something to put in your portfolio, and it’ll mean you’re helping out a worthwhile cause as well. Just an idea :)

    #1060072
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    0
    ::
    Techalite, post: 74473 wrote:
    Have you considered offering your services free of charge to a charity (maybe in exchange for a testimonial)? There are so many horrible looking charity websites out there that could really use a redesign. I realise that you have to make money, but being able to say that you gave a charity website an awesome makeover would reflect great on you, give you something to put in your portfolio, and it’ll mean you’re helping out a worthwhile cause as well. Just an idea :)

    Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately doesn’t really work for me as seeing as I use subcontractors for the design portion I have to pay them & since I wouldn’t be getting paid for the job it would be coming out of my own pocket. :(

    I also don’t really have the cash flow available to be doing 100% free work either, but am prepared to provide more value/discounts to clients to try & fill my portfolio. :)

    #1060073
    JayeClissold
    Member
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    0
    ::

    Are you a member of any clubs? Perhaps you could do the site for them in return for ad space on the site. I was in the same situation until I decided to do a site for my parents, and my cycle club. THen I decided I should create an Intranet for myself to manage clients/projects, so I will include screenshots and descriptions about that. I have also been getting into photography as a hobby, so I have set up a portfolio for that as well. That’ll give me 4 pieces which is enough to start.

    Jaye

    #1060074
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks Jaye…. but yeah not part of any clubs.

    #1060075
    p4tricia
    Member
    • Total posts: 44
    Up
    0
    ::
    CondorCreative, post: 74139 wrote:
    ….
    I have done a lot of work in the past during my many years freelancing, but seeing as I only worked as a coder I generally just had people coming to me for coding work and/or design colleagues who had already done the design portion pass the site onto me to do any development work that needed done on the site & hence seeing as my company wasn’t responsible for the design I can’t go ahead & put it in my profile (if I wanted to put screenshots up for example).

    Hello, having read the comments above and also what you originally mentioned in your first thread.. I personally don’t think this is a problem.

    Just a suggestion, contact the original designer of some sites you’ve coded in the past and ask for their permission. If they said it’s ok to feature the design in the portfolio, you can use the screenshots.

    Just make sure that you carefully specify what you’ve done. E.g. “Develop and Integrate a sleek contact form for http://www.something.com/some business name” or “Develop the (business name) website in w3c compliant and SEO-friendly code..blablabla.”

    Credit the original designer/cross promote to entice them to agree to have their design displayed on their website with small text ‘in conjunction with blabla design studio.’ or ‘design by…’ with or without link back.

    If they get more exposure and some work from you (since you will outsource design anyway), they will most probably give you more (coding) work in the future.

    #1060076
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    0
    ::
    p4tricia, post: 74644 wrote:
    Hello, having read the comments above and also what you originally mentioned in your first thread.. I personally don’t think this is a problem.

    Just a suggestion, contact the original designer of some sites you’ve coded in the past and ask for their permission. If they said it’s ok to feature the design in the portfolio, you can use the screenshots.

    Just make sure that you carefully specify what you’ve done. E.g. “Develop and Integrate a sleek contact form for http://www.something.com/some business name” or “Develop the (business name) website in w3c compliant and SEO-friendly code..blablabla.”

    Credit the original designer/cross promote to entice them to agree to have their design displayed on their website with small text ‘in conjunction with blabla design studio.’ or ‘design by…’ with or without link back.

    If they get more exposure and some work from you (since you will outsource design anyway), they will most probably give you more (coding) work in the future.

    Thanks very much :) That is something I definitely will consider.

    Brett

    #1060077
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Patricia,
    I love your idea for Brett, and I know he’s already said thanks, but I just wanted to add a quick thanks for posting it…

    Love your work,
    Jayne

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.