Home – New Forums Starting your journey Need your suggestions- feeling limited at outsourcing work due to slow internet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    ::

Okay, here I am with my process outlines and operations manual, ready to take on an admin assistant.

Issue:
    I cannot hire locally, because I don’t have an office outside my home, and my home is not an appropriate place for people to come and work with me in (this is a very, very run down house that we rent in for now).

I cannot hire freelancers internationally because my internet here is so slow, that I can’t upload all of the files necessary into a central database to keep them all in the one place. I have tried this in the past, with GoogleDrive, and it took over 3 months to upload EVERYTHING. I can’t deal with this again. Uploads and downloads are hindering my process of working with my design intern to get things done on time alone, and so make sure my admin assistant has everything they need is one of my highest priorities.

So what do I do? I’m at a bit of a loss. Any suggestions?

redleaftea
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

What service do you currently have and who is it with?
    If you put your address into http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au what line stats does it report and which providers are enabled?
    What is your budget?

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I feel your pain – we are not in the city either so our internet service is not as fast as in the cities.

However, here is the link to the coverage area for Telstra.
    http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/coverage-networks/coverage/
    They have a new prepaid Wifi device that you can take with you as well as at home, that is for 4G and 3G.
    http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/plans/index.htm#plans

Worth looking into.

Chris H
    • Total posts: 111
    Up

Hi Scarlett,

It’s a tough predicament, I still think remote staff is the best way for you to go.
    I don’t think co-working space lends itself to staff and I think hiring offices is a lot of money for little return.

I would look at getting a small IT company to upload your files for you.
    With an Australia Post express bag you could have a USB stick in a CBD by 9am the next morning for upload.
    Alternatively, if you employ someone in Australia to be your admin assistant, you could mail them the USB stick and have it there the next day.
    A 64gb USB stick won’t set you back much.

Either way I don’t think you should let the poor internet connection be your hurdle.

ScarlettR
    Up
    redleaftea, post: 189043 wrote:
    What service do you currently have and who is it with?
    If you put your address into http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au what line stats does it report and which providers are enabled?
    What is your budget?

We are currently with internode, on a naked line. I put my information into that site but I admit I’m quite a bit lost. As for my budget, I don’t know what to expect, so it just depends on what I can gain access to and the strength of the connection.

Karen- thanks so much for the links. I’ll check those out!

Chris- I appreciate the recommendation of the IT company, but that would be too much hassle I’m afraid, as a lot of the documents I work with are design documents and we need to go back and forth over them, and the other information – I could let them upload online over the evening which would negate the 9am upload for the IT company the following morning.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, if anyone else has any others please mention them!

Chris H
    • Total posts: 111
    Up
    ScarlettR, post: 189058 wrote:
    We are currently with internode, on a naked line. I put my information into that site but I admit I’m quite a bit lost. As for my budget, I don’t know what to expect, so it just depends on what I can gain access to and the strength of the connection.

Karen- thanks so much for the links. I’ll check those out!

Chris- I appreciate the recommendation of the IT company, but that would be too much hassle I’m afraid, as a lot of the documents I work with are design documents and we need to go back and forth over them, and the other information – I could let them upload online over the evening which would negate the 9am upload for the IT company the following morning.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, if anyone else has any others please mention them!

If you have ADSL, then it shouldn’t be a slow connection.
    I am wondering if the issue is that you’re exceeding your download limit and the speed of your connection is slowed until the start of the next month.

There is a pretty simple speed test you can do online here: http://www.ozspeedtest.com/

If you want to run it, then copy and past the part where it says ‘For Whirlpool” we can see what your speed really is.

ScarlettR
    Up
    Chris H, post: 189060 wrote:
    If you have ADSL, then it shouldn’t be a slow connection.
    I am wondering if the issue is that you’re exceeding your download limit and the speed of your connection is slowed until the start of the next month.

There is a pretty simple speed test you can do online here: http://www.ozspeedtest.com/

If you want to run it, then copy and past the part where it says ‘For Whirlpool” we can see what your speed really is.

My speed should be very good, but it’s not. We have a 500GB limit each month, and never hit it. It is the property which is the issue. We have had guys from internode and telstra come out, and it never solves the problem. From my understanding the wires just outside our house are in a huge jumble and, from the mumblings of the guy who took a look at them, sounded like they were very old so there’s not much we can do at this point.

I promise you

redleaftea
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

There’s always something that can be done

The cheaper, slower, more painful option is to complain – constantly
    Telstra will send out techs who will test things, tell you it’s fine and leave
    Eventually you will get a good one or one who is fed up with coming back who will untangle the mess

The faster, more expensive option is bribery
    When a tech comes out negotiate a price with them to replace your line all the way back to the exchange with a nice, new unbroken length of copper – might cost you a few hundred bucks but hopefully it solves the problem

Sara SEO
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hi Scarlett,
    Your experience sounds similar to the one I had. I rent also and the phone lines into the house are terrible. The internet would constantly drop out. Even the landline had a crackle on it. I didn’t even bother trying to get someone to look at the lines because at the time it was all guns blazing with the NBN and I knew Telstra has no interest in fixing old copper lines.

I then tried a mobile internet service but this only allowed up to 20GB/mth so I ended up paying huge bills because I always went over the allowance.

In the end I have transferred my internet service to Optus Cable as it was already available in my street. Since then I have not had any problems. My landline is through cable also. I also have to say that Optus were extremely helpful and responsive in setting the new connection up. Yes, I know shock, horror, a telco being helpful but it’s true.

Not sure if cable is an option but it certainly solved my connection problems.

Hope you find some joy soon.
    Sara

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.