Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Needing advice for new venture

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mel.M.
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone. I was hoping someone may be able to give me some advise. I am looking into importing a product from America into Australia. I would be the Australian distributor. I would be selling this via a website, but also to retail shops for them to re-sell. I am trying to work out if it will be profitable enough for me. I have found out associated costs with importing it such as shipping, customs fees, import duty, insurance etc. So I am at the stage of knowing what this item will cost me per piece after adding this all on. I now need to know what sort of profit does a retailer usually need to make from an item when they are buying it from me and reselling at the rrp? For example is it usually 100% mark? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

gr8leo87
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hi Mike

Good luck with your venture.

Retail profits vary greatly from product to product. If you are the sole distributor then you can drive the retail prices your self, but there are other distributors of that product in Australia then you are gonna have to price in line with the market drivers.

Clothing have a huge mark up and so does anything that includes ‘design’ for example shoes. But lot depends on what the product is.

If its a home use daily based product, or perhaps an edible product its not going to attract huge margins, but once it catches pace you will earn through the volumes.

Usually electronics I see don’t attract huge margins especially mobile phones etc. But if its a novelty, you can mark it up to 200% as well.

Same applies to retailers as well. Also the kind of margin a retailer requires would also depend on the location of the shop. Overheads play a good part in decision making.

Best of luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.