Home – New Forums Starting your journey NEIS Business Grant Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Casper The Savannah Cat
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

I’m new to this forum so If I’ve placed this In the wrong section I’m sorry, I’m currently undertaking the NEIS Program & during the application process I had to do a feasibility study & my DES provider filled In all the application forms for me because I’m legally blind, What my former DES case worker didn’t tell me was that I needed funds to start my business which is an online store & by the application process there was a possibility that they may have been confused because In the feasibility study I had to give details costing for the business start up. If I could I’d get a loan but my current situation is that I’m paying off another loan & I’m on DSP so by the time I’ve made loan repayments for the month that means that I don’t have much left over & my family are not able to help me with any costs.

I was just wondering If anyone would know If there are any small business grants I may be able to apply for because my old DES provider didn’t get their contract renewed & my new provider are not able to help me, My business start up cost are low compared to other businesses start up cost the $4000.00 will cover my entire business because the website I need to get is a business right out of the box. I don’t need to worry about suppliers because that comes included with the website & it users the drop shipping method of supplying customers with their goods so there’s no need for me to keep stock.

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Exciting news that you are applying for the NEIS program. I came through NEIS earlier this year. It was, and continues to be, hugely helpful.

Due to the fact that NEIS businesses have a great reputation for success, banks are generally more willing to negotiate business loans with NEIS graduates.

Specifically, NAB runs a not-for-profit (low-interest) Microenterprise loan program which is exclusively available to NEIS graduates. You should be able to apply for your $4000 start-up funding through them.

Unfortunately I don’t know much about the specifics, but there is some more information available here:

All the best with your venture. Please feel free to email me (james at sitecentre.com.au) if you have any NEIS related questions along the way.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Casper, and welcome to the forums,

Sorry to hear that you’ve hit some snags.

Hope you find the info you need soon,
    Jayne

Casper The Savannah Cat
    Up

Thanks James & FS Concierge I found this website yesterday:

http://grants-gov.com.au/

They are sending me out a guide with details about all the grants I can apply for so hopefully there will be somthing In their I can apply for.

NEIS Team
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hello Casper.

Sorry to hear you had a misunderstanding about up-front capital. This is a key point with NEIS and to advance with your participation, your business plan has to show that you are able to source the funding required to get going. It’s always been this way through the 27+ years life of NEIS.

But DES is new to NEIS so there are probably a number of DES providers who aren’t aware of these details.

James has already put you onto the NAB Microenterprise Loans, and some other banks now offer similar services. We also picked up this article last week about “Many Rivers” microfinance, which we’d not heard of before:
    http://www.smh.com.au/money/borrowing/handy-little-helper-20130402-2h499.html.

You do NOT need to go through any private enterprise to give you information about government grants. Your money is already tight, and all the information they charge you (a lot) for is already freely listed on business.gov.au at this link:
    http://www.business.gov.au/BusinessTopics/Grantsandassistance/Pages/default.aspx

If you have difficulty accessing any of that due to your impairment, try calling the Small Business Support Line (another Australian Government service) on
    1800777275 or via http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/programs/small-business/sbsl/Pages/default.aspx. They have an excellent service.

Another route for assistance is to talk with your local Business Enterprise Centre (BEC). These are community services partially funded by the Government to help small businesses. Many of them are also NEIS providers and many provider free or inexpensive assistance to start-ups.

You can find your local BEC through this link: http://beca.org.au/

Hopefully one of these options will win through for you, because NEIS really is a great solution for financial independence for people with all sorts of disabilities. The “positive outcome rate” is only a little below that for everyoine else.

Cheers, the NEIS team.

Casper The Savannah Cat
    Up

I just had a chat to a really nice lady named Jeanie from the SBSL & she suggested that I should build my own website & look at reducing my cost of start up seeing that there are no government grants, This actually sounds very appealing but I must admit it will be a lot more work seeing that I will need to find my own dropshipping suppliers but having a individual website which looks different would be more rewarding I guess.

Casper The Savannah Cat
    Up

I just had a chat to a really nice lady named Jeanie from the SBSL & she suggested that I should build my own website & look at reducing my cost of start up seeing that there are no government grants, This actually sounds very appealing but I must admit it will be a lot more work seeing that I will need to find my own dropshipping suppliers but having a individual website which looks different would be more rewarding I guess.

Trent
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    NEIS Team, post: 157048 wrote:
    You do NOT need to go through any private enterprise to give you information about government grants. Your money is already tight, and all the information they charge you (a lot) for is already freely listed on business.gov.au at this link:
    http://www.business.gov.au/BusinessT…s/default.aspx

Great to see this from an official source – I will go a step further, because as a private person I can ;)

Casper – That paid link is a website charging money for information that is completely freely available on the link posted by the NEIS scheme.

I tend to be the inbox of choice for people that know me for spotting scams and frankly any website charging for freely accessible information without adding value are doing nothing for the money they earn i.e. they are borderline scammers.

I hope you didn’t spend money on them, Casper. If you did, then get a refund.

Either way, follow the NEIS Team’s link :)

good luck in your venture and keep us informed of your progress :D

Casper The Savannah Cat
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 156894 wrote:
    Hi Casper, and welcome to the forums,

Sorry to hear that you’ve hit some snags.

Hope you find the info you need soon,
    Jayne

I’m sorry to say but I did & it was $247.00 I wrote them a email In relation to this & I wrote:

To whom It may concern, I’m writing to you In regards to the package I was sent & I’m very disappointed with it’s content & It doesn’t justify the $247.00 cost, It has come to my attention that you are acting Illegally by charging people to find out about government grant Information I was made aware of this by contacting a government hotline when I was inquiring about grants & your site came up during the conversation.*

With this In mind I’m requesting a full refund of what was taken out of my credit card account.

I look forward to a response In relation to this matter.

Kind Regards

My Name

There actually had the decentcy to write back to me & there e-mail reply was:

Dear My Name,

The $247.00 inc GST fee is for a Grant Directory.
    The purpose of this Directory is to provide our clients with full access to funding over a 12 month period along with all means to proceed through application.

The Guide compiles the current grants from both Government and Private sectors and updates via PDF (monthly) to keep you in the loop of any changes or newly released grants.*

Our research team search thousands of different websites every month – *we are the only company in Australia to offer a legitimate research product that cannot be competed with, *If all we did was scrape*grantslink.gov.au*we would have no grants available just like they don’t – our thousands of available grants make our research product unique. Our product also includes, *grants and funding options from every charity non-profit organisation major corporation and everyone else who offers money for good purposes around the country. That’s why we have an entire team who work full time on creating the product.

Here is a very short list of just a few Australian government & Australian Parliment websites which endorse and encourage the use of our research product:

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au
    http://artslinkqld.com.au/assets/img/misc/Artslink%20QLD%20Grants%20Resource%202012(1).pdf
    http://www.rdaorana.org.au/Funding.htm
    http://nolamarino.com.au/grants/
    http://www.helpforclubs.com.au/south-australia.php
    http://www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/addfiles/documents/grants/2012-2013/external_gen2.pdf

Kind Regards,

Tomas

NEIS Team
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

That’s a real shame. Hope you get your refund.
    Don’t think any of those organisations claimed as “endorsement” would consider such a claim is appropriate…

There are a number of web designers among the NEISies who’ve joined our Facebook page. Some are willing to offer good deals for other NEISies. So perhaps put out a call in the Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NEIScommunity/

Cheers.

Trent
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    Casper The Savannah Cat, post: 157424 wrote:
    I’m sorry to say but I did & it was $247.00 I wrote them a email In relation to this & I wrote:

To whom It may concern, I’m writing to you In regards to the package I was sent & I’m very disappointed with it’s content & It doesn’t justify the $247.00 cost, It has come to my attention that you are acting Illegally by charging people to find out about government grant Information I was made aware of this by contacting a government hotline when I was inquiring about grants & your site came up during the conversation.*

With this In mind I’m requesting a full refund of what was taken out of my credit card account.

I look forward to a response In relation to this matter.

Kind Regards

My Name

There actually had the decentcy to write back to me & there e-mail reply was:

Dear My Name,

The $247.00 inc GST fee is for a Grant Directory.
    The purpose of this Directory is to provide our clients with full access to funding over a 12 month period along with all means to proceed through application.

Sorry to be facetious, but according to their wording – they sold you a directory? You own it now? Riiight

The Guide compiles the current grants from both Government and Private sectors and updates via PDF (monthly) to keep you in the loop of any changes or newly released grants.*bla bla bla

Not once did they say they would (under the REQUIREMENTS of consumer law) offer you a refund.

If they don’t – go to your bank – but give them another chance to do the right thing first.

Sorry, but I know of at least 4 clients (first hand experiences) who have used it with no appreciable benefit over the grants normally available.

Politely insist on your money back

Casper The Savannah Cat
    Up
    Trent, post: 157743 wrote:
    Sorry to be facetious, but according to their wording – they sold you a directory? You own it now? Riiight

Not once did they say they would (under the REQUIREMENTS of consumer law) offer you a refund.

If they don’t – go to your bank – but give them another chance to do the right thing first.

Sorry, but I know of at least 4 clients (first hand experiences) who have used it with no appreciable benefit over the grants normally available.

Politely insist on your money back

Yeah I could but I’m trying to move on from that I’ve started getting some good help from people on the NEISE FB page & they are looking Into a different E-Commerce solution for me, For now I may have to scale back on the products I was wanting to sell but I can always grow as time goes by.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.