Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Nervous consultant says hi!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BrendanK
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hey guys,

I don’t have a business yet, but looking to tentatively dip my toe into consulting; still work 4 days a week for current employer, but have freed up a day to chase other opportunities… with a view to broadening that further, and eventually making my current employer a client.

Any tips for getting into consulting? Am I being too cautious with only one day a week?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Cheers, Brendan

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Hi Brendan

Welcome to FS!

What type of consulting work are you looking at doing?

You will find that the more info that you give the more detailed the replies here will be :)

BrendanK
    Up

Hi Karen, thanks for the welcome.

I’m looking at communications consulting – helping small businesses with copywriting, brochures, web copy… you name it.

I’ve ghostwritten two books and want to leverage them with this venture. Current customer base is miniscule!

Need to get a website, business cards… the whole soloist gamut.

I’ve a Marketing background, so reasonably comfortable with that side of things. Any other advice on where to start would be great!

Cheers, Brendan

NeuroWebDesign
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Hey Brendan,

While I don’t have an answer for you, I can certainly identify with your situation. I personally think its too risky to free up any more days than that, it’s really hard to get into a swing, to get anything of note achieved in that one day. I used to try. I’d get up at 5am and have this list to try to rip through… Hopefully it’ll work better for you.

My business has been a hobby for literally years. By working nights I’ve completed numerous projects. Now I have systems and processes in place and the experience to deliver projects with confidence.

Flying Solo is the ideal place to start.

All the best with it,
    Brad.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Stop being nervous, otherwise you will be for the rest of your life.Remember the ad that talks about ‘gonna’ & ‘wouldda’ and they never got around to doing anything.

You know what you would like to do, then start today, a great day to start.
    Do a website, so that the world will get to know who you are and what you do. It becomes a brochure telling us what you do.
    Small three line ad in the local newspaper ‘Ghost writing’ your name and mobile no. There are litterally millions of people out there with stories to tell but dont know ‘HOW’ and this is where you come in.

Don’t jump in the deep end, but utilise this one day a week to set the machine in motion, as this starts to generate income then you make the decission to fully jump in or gradually get deeper into the flowing steam of business you and you website generate.

Sounds good then there is only one way for you to find out if this will work for you….try it.

Karen Wardle
    Up

Hi again Brendan

What other info are you looking for?

BrendanK
    Up

Hi Karen,

Well, I have a meeting with a potential client tomorrow and need to develop a few payment options… this is obviously hard for anyone else to comment on, but if anyone has any info sources I could check out it would be greatly appreciated!

The job (as far as I have ascertained) would be the semi-regular development of a newsletter, brochures etc. So I’m looking to offer an hourly rate as well as a retainer-style monthly payment. I anticipate starting with the hourly rate and working up to a retainer once the scope is clearer.

Many thanks!

Karen Wardle
    Up

Hi Brendan

Not really something that I have experience with.

I am sure that someone will jump in here soon and offer some suggestions for you.

If not maybe you could post in the money matters forum. You are sure to get plenty of replies there :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.