Home – New Forums Face-to-face meetups & events Networking on Facebook – some help please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    shags38
    Participant
    • Total posts: 83
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I have a few websites, one is a business (my wife’s Jewellery site) and the others are set up for affiliate marketing (some are dot coms, some are AU sites) and I want to set up Facebook pages for networking advantages.

Problem – I already have 2 private Facebook accounts via 2 email addresses from the same I.P. address. Facebook apparently auto tracks email addresses and I.P. addresses so that each time I go to sign up a new account (in this case I really want to get one rolling for Dazzlers Jewellery so I can stay in my wifes good books :) ) …. it automatically takes me to my existing account, or one of the two dependant on the email account I have open at the time. I have tried to use another email address but I cannot even get to sign up because it automatically takes me to an existing account.

Does anyone have an answer to this problem – I have heard of people having dozens of accounts (not that I want dozens by any means).

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

cheers,
    Mike

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Mike,

What a pain! Understanding the difference between personal accounts, fan pages, business pages and the like is a big headache. That you are trying to do two doubles the headache.

The only solution I can think of is to access a different computer for the second account. I think you’ll keep getting stuck in the loop if you try and do two from the same IP.

Clunky, I know, but a workaround nonetheless.

Good luck!

Sam

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Others more expert than I may be able to answer better, but as I understand it Facebook frowns on you trying set up more than one personal account of you own. You can of course set another up under say your wife’s name but the system does not allow for (or like) you to do more than one of your own.

Another related one, don’t try to set up a personal account with a business name. That is also frowned upon and could get you banned.

You can of course, once you set up your personal account, set up as many Business Pages/Fan Pages as you wish under different business names and that is the way I have approached it. You can also Like those pages so they all appear in your personal account.

n8ores
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Mike,

Heres the deal

1) Your only allowed to have 1 Facebook account period. This is made crystal clear in the FB TOS. Its actually alot better to do it that way anyway as im about to describe.

2) FB created ‘pages’ for businesses which are essentially cut down versions of personal accounts, You have ‘fans’ instead of ‘friends’ and you cant invite people to be a fan of your page like you can invite people to be your friends.

You can create a Facebook page that isnt attached to any facebook user account by going here (Make sure you have signed out of facebook first)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php?campaign_id=372931622610&placement=pghm&extra_1=0
    Enter the details of your page then click “create page” and select “I do not have a facebook account”. You will then have to enter in an email address and the page will be created.

You would want to do the above if you want to keep the pages completely separated from your personal account (However you will have to remember yet another login name and password). But if your setting up the FB page for a 3rd party company etc and dont want it linked to your personal FB account this is the way to go.

Alternatively you can “manage” FB pages from your personal account. This can be handy so all you have to do is login to your personal FB account and click “accounts –> Manage Pages” and then all your facebook pages will be right there, just 1 login to remember and u can edit all the pages.

To get rid of your 2nd account do the following
    Account 1 (Personal Account)
    Account 2 –> Linked Business Page

You need to login to account 2 and go to “My Account –> Manage Pages” once your on the page go to “Edit Page –> Manage Admins” then add Account 1 as a Manager of the Page and Remove Account 2 as a manager of the page.

To remove account 2 for good
    Go back to “Home” on Account 2 and click on “account –> account settings –> de-activate account” then follow the prompts. After 2 weeks your account will be removed, if you re-login to Account 2 at any time in that 2 weeks the de-activation will be aborted.

Once you have done this all you will need to do is login to Account 1 and go to Account –> Manage Pages to edit your business page.

Hope that helps, took me a full day to understand how FB pages and user pages differed and how they are meant to interact together.

Regards,

Nathan
    http://www.weallshout.com

BTW as a manager of a FB page you are totally invisible to the page (no one can tell who administers a page) unless you want to make it known to them. When you post things from the Page the pages picture will be used not yours etc.

PhillipaKiripatea
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

As Nathan has stated you cannot have more than 1 personal profile account on Facebook. You also cannot create an account for someone else without their permission.

Facebook rules 1 & 2 state: (http://www.facebook.com/terms.php)

1 You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
    2 You will not create more than one personal profile.

In keeping with rule number 2, you cannot create a personal profile for a business.

If Facebook catches you violating their terms, all of your accounts will be disabled and the only way to get back on to Facebook is get permission from Facebook directly. So whatever you do, DO NOT create more than 1 Facebook personal profile. A couple of my clients have come to me saying their accounts have been disabled and therefore have lost all of their friends and everything that was in their Facebook accounts. It’s better to be safe than sorry. Delete your other Facebook profile as Nathan has stated.

So in saying this, I would not recommend to create a Facebook business page as Nathan stated

You can create a Facebook page that isnt attached to any facebook user account by going here (Make sure you have signed out of facebook first)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/create…pghm&extra_1=0
    Enter the details of your page then click “create page” and select “I do not have a facebook account”. You will then have to enter in an email address and the page will be created.

You would want to do the above if you want to keep the pages completely separated from your personal account (However you will have to remember yet another login name and password). But if your setting up the FB page for a 3rd party company etc and dont want it linked to your personal FB account this is the way to go.

For business purposes, you must create a Facebook page from your personal account.

A Facebook page is like this: http://facebook.com/PTheVirtualPA (this is my business page)

On this page, no-one can tell that you are the creator or even an admin of that page, unless of course you tell them. To your “Likers”, you are simply a “Liker” of the page as well. You can even create the page and own it and not become a “Liker”.

You can create as many Facebook pages as you want from your Facebook profile, you can add admins and you can also remove yourself from being an admin.

I have a report/ebook on how to create a Facebook business page that takes you through the planning stages, through to creation and to management of your page. It’s in my signature below. You download it straight from my Facebook page, you don’t have to give me your email address, it’s just a straight download.

If you need any help with your page or anything to do with Facebook, feel free to send me a message.

I hope this has helped :)

Phillipa Wirangi
    http://www.thevirtualpersonalassistant.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.