Home – New Forums Get productive Never Give Free Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    msteen
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

A consultant recently wrote a blog post about why individuals shouldn’t give free advice. With that being said, there are some flaws; however, I do think that the moral of the story is that we shouldn’t give free advice (I would say that we should only with pro-bono cases, but I do not believe that that was mentioned).

Article Here

Tell me what you guys think!

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

which consultant would you hire?

1) A Consultant you know nothing about (beyond say testimonials) that won’t engage with you in a meaningful way until fees are agreed upon.

2) A consultant you may know that regularly posts valuable information on an industry/business forum you also read/post on.

3) A consultant you don’t know who is well published (books, blogs etc).

For me it is a 2,3,1 order.

In my experience, most SME (and even some of the bigger guys) will try to solve problems on their own before engaging the services of a consultant. If and when they do, if it’s your material they are reading, I believe it is more likely you would get the contract over a consultant that puts up the barrier of “pay to start” if and when that business decides they need that external help.

That being said, some industries thrive on “my time is to valuable to be talking to some one who’s not paying me to be there” motto.

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

I give free training and behaviour advice to clients all the time and they love it.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

I think the industries you’re talking about only offer consulting or consulting is their primary product though Nathan, like lawyers and counsellors. Free advice is good if it means eventually getting a sale.

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

I think in many cases giving free advice is excellent! It allows people to trust and understand you, get a feeling for what you do and so on.

I’ve seen many examples where free advertising has resulted in a LOT of paid work and strong relationships.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi msteen,

Thanks for raising this interesting topic. I’m sure there are many people around here who will have an opinion to share on it.

So that we all understand who we’re talking to, could you please start a new thread over on the Introduce yourself section of the boards, telling us about yourself, your business and where you’re based. (This is a forum for small business owners based in Australia).

I’ve noticed that you’ve started a couple of threads now relating to blog posts on the same website. Starting threads for the purposes of attracting traffic to your website is actually outside the forum guidelines.

We’ve left those threads in place for now as they’ve generated some interesting conversation. However, as a newbie to the forum, could I also ask that you take a few moments to read through the forum guidelines, and to set up your forum signature so that any affiliation to the website is completely transparent to readers. (You can do that in the Control panel, which is accessed via the grey bar above the forum).

Thanks for your understanding about this msteen, and thanks again for stimulating an interesting conversation on this topic.

Jayne

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I’m a strong believer in Givers Gain. I believe that in giving out, it attracts more people to me and business does take place.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

well I have given over 1,900 bits of advice just on this forum. All of it good as well ;)

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I would tell you what I think of the article, but no one’s paid me yet.

Actually, I sort of agree with the subject of the article which is a bit more than “don’t give free advice”.
    It’s about being measured about the free advice you give and making sure they understand what needs to be done without specifically mentioning how it can be done.
    I’m sure everyone has a few tricks of the trade that they keep under their belt.

Evo the marketing guy
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

For me, this article should be a finalist in the dumbest article of the year contest!

It is right up there with a recent marketing blogger who explained that your marketing department is not responsible for lead generation. My goodness…

When you start to give away free information and start to act as an expert and trusted adviser in your space you develop a much stronger relationships with your prospects and customers.

This trust means so much to both parties it generates long-term good-will and customers that buy from you for longer.

But don’t just trust me – or hundreds of years of relationship building theory.

Do your own test.

If you are in the ‘nothing for FREE camp’ experiment with another approach. For the next 10 days – when a prospect calls up – give them as much time and free advice as they seek.

Then, a few days later, follow them up with a phone call or email offering them even more FREE advice.

Maybe, just maybe, this new approach is just what your business needed…

Good luck.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I never give free advice, but I am more than happy to share my opinion with you and that costs nothing.

I feel advice is something you pay for, an opinion is a gift.

Opinions are often snippets of experience coupled with knowledge of the subject. The person who is the recipiant of these opinions can either take them as being true, as a gift or reject them.

Advice is something which the recipiant feels obliged to follow as it has been paid for.

But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder, advice or opinion ?

Cooke Consulting
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

I’m happy to give free advice and answer questions all day long – but it comes with a price, lets face it nothing in this world is ever truly FREE.

http://www.cookeconsulting.com.au/index.php/our-services/ac-receivable/pricing-plans

Our Clients love it – it builds trust and helps further our relationships.

I’ll add small bits of free info / tips on our website as well, for people that want to read it; that certainly helps when prospects try to qualify you.

Cheers

James

P.S. Link is not meant to be a blatant piece of advertising, just showing how we use the concept of ‘Free’ in our business.

beancounter
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Isn’t her article an oxymoron?

She’s giving us free advice about why we shouldn’t give free advice:-)

There is one argument that when you give something to someone for nothing, then that’s the value that they place on it …

The other side goes “the more people pay, the more they pay attention” .

Successful and wealthy internet marketers having been giving ridiculous amounts of information away for free .. yet they are still making huge amounts of money

Evo the marketing guy
    • Total posts: 58
    Up
    beancounter, post: 120498 wrote:
    Isn’t her article an oxymoron?

Successful and wealthy internet marketers having been giving ridiculous amounts of information away for free .. yet they are still making huge amounts of money

Exactly. And I think to myself, if they are giving away that much free, how much MORE will they tell me if/when I pay! Wow!

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

As an example of free advice going great…

I have just completed writing a book (should be print reedy in a week or two). The book is called: The 10 Step workshop to creating GREAT DEALS and EFFECTIVE PROMOTIONS. I will be giving this book away for FREE.

I wrote the book with three goals in mind.

1. Create credibility that I am an expert.
    2. Improve the quality of deals on my website as 9/10 are very poor.
    3. Make money.

The first two points are self explanatory so I’ll jump straight to 3.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, in my experience, almost everyone will attempt to self solve problems… in my space (coupons/marketing) I just hope the person trying to come up with a new marketing idea just happens to have my book in their hands. Whether they read it, or even benefit from it or not, my name in now in their head and if and when they do require help, I feel I will be in a stronger position to gain work.

Idea’s are dime a dozen these days… I can google any profession and be an expert with-in three hours by completely a $49.00 online course. Profitably is no longer in KNOWING something. Profitably is in the DOING IT.

I have been testing this concept for the past month and have found that by offering a business a free limited and unassisted subscription to my website with a copy of my book leads me to convert far sales of our premium product (with includes print, QR, Adwords etc) than my team cold calling and trying to sell a product by itself (even the basic package).

Everyone now and again, a customer may read my book, grasp all the concepts, excel and never need to pay me… but hey theres still 9/10 that now need or want me and if I play my cards right, the 1/10t that doesn’t need me might go around recommending me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.