Home – New Forums Starting your journey New attempt, heading online, not too sure.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Zennishdragon
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hey solo flyers, I used to be a member here, but have been out of the entrepreneurial scene for a while.

Anyway, I want to get back in, and I’m looking at getting online and Building a portfolio of niche websites (income generating websites) I will be building them myself, each under a different domain and in different industries. Now my question is whether or not I can do something like this as a sole proprietor. As all websites have a different name does this constitute a variety of businesses or can I do something such as call myself an “affiliate marketer” to have all the websites, but then what happens if I sell my own product on a website?

If you get the idea and can clarify what I should so ABN and business wise I will much appreciate it.

Thanks

If you don’t understand and need me to clarify anything just ask.

Rball
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

I thought about the same thing the other day! Interested to hear responses

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Zennishdragon,

Welcome back to Flying Solo! Please let us know your previous forum name so that we know who we’re chatting with. (Or, if you prefer, send me the previous details in a PM and we can try to link your new and old accounts into one).

All the best for your new venture,
    Jayne

Zennishdragon
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hey thanks fs concierge but I really don’t remember it, was a few years ago. And I would have used an old work place email address that I don’t have anymore. Nevertheless I’m not fussed about it and am happy with this profile. Just hoping I can get some feedback on my question, I’m still not sure about the whole business structure situation for a collection of websites.

Thanks

Shelcom
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

Hi Zennishdragon,

I would highly advise speaking to a qualified accountant or lawyer.
    It sounds to me as though you are setting up multiple businesses from which you intend to make a profit. Yes, an e-commerce site is a business.
    If this is correct, you must register with the ATO and ASIC.
    Which structure is right for you? Only a qualified professional who is privy to your personal information in regards to your plans can answer this.

In order to register a domain (depending on the provider) you will be asked for a business name and / or ABN. They verify the information you provide and may take up to 24 hours.

Whether you set up multiple business names under your own, sole trader ABN, or whether you establish a Pty Ltd company with several trading names is up to you. It depends on the amount of liability protection you require. Again, and I can’t stress this enough, if you are starting a business from which you plan on making a profit, please speak to a qualified accountant first.

Another aspect of protection to look into is trademarks. You should do thorough research first, before registering anything. Keep in mind that just because you register your business name with ASIC does not mean that you are not infringing on somebody else’s intellectual property.

Having the right start can prove to save you a lot of money and stress in the future.

Best of luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.