Home – New Forums Marketing mastery New Award Nomination – how should I make the most of this?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    ::

I’ve just found out today that I’ve been nominated for the “Australian of the Year Award” 2009 – this is the second year in a row.

Last year I contacted my local council but they pretty much weren’t interested. I thought it would have been a great promotional item for them but perhaps they have lots of residents in our council who get nominated? I don’t think so, though. I also contacted our local newspaper but they didn’t get back to me till after the event – the news was old by then.

I did send out a press release online and blogged about it and contacted a magazine that was running an article that month so they could add it to the mag (thanks Melissa!). Likewise I have another story coming out in a brand new magazine this month so I sent them an email this morning.

What other things could I do to make the best possible use of this piece of news?

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Congratulations!

Heidi Price
    • Total posts: 218
    Up

Congrats on the nomination! Wow, two years running!!

I wouldn’t give up on the print media – send them a press release (seems crazy to do their work for them but it works better than suggesting an interview) and not only to your local media. I’d go for the major state papers too, and don’t forget the weekend papers.

Good luck!

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

Firstly – Congrats Kathy! That’s brilliant …

Secondly – I hate to be the downer in the conversation, but forget about the press release. I studied journalism and have worked with a LOT of journalists – getting a nomination is, honestly, of no interest to them – unless you can play the refugee / disabled kind of angle, which gives it a whole other level of human interest.

Press Releases are – generally – a waste of time (unless you’re using them for SEO – but that’s a whole other story!). Because, even if by some miracle you do get coverage, that coverage tends to be worthless. I know a lot of newer business people who seem to think the holy grail is to get a ‘free’ article in the paper or to get on TV. They spend a lot of time to achieve this and are then CRUSHED when it yields no new clients or sales.

It takes more than a single TV appearance or article in the paper to get an effect. That’s why the big companies pay for advertising – because they know they need to FLOOD the modern viewer with messages before they have any hope of achieving their outcome.

My suggestions for capitalising would be:

1. Add to the end of all your signatures (Email and online) – Two-time nominee for Australian of the year
    2. Write an aritlce about the experience and the award and send it out to your database – they know you, there’s a chance they will actually care
    3. Place the details and – if you have permission – the award seal on your website.
    4. Write an article on HOW to get nomianted for this award
    5. Use this article as an excuse to get in contact with other potential clients who aren’t on your database yet – I’d send these ones out hard copy.
    6. Offer some kind of bonus with your product “I’m so pleased to have been nominated that I’d like to pass the joy on to you .. .by offering you a free X when you purchase X!”

So, apart from the last one, don’t expect it to drive sales. Use it as a part of your pre-eminence plan – that is, one more tool that makes you the most pre-eminent source of information / distribution in your industry …

kathiemt
    Up

Thanks Leela and Heidi. I have let a local councillor know, who is a former mayor in our area, and he’s actually going to contact the Council on my behalf this time round so something should happen there. And one of our radio stations called me on air last year to interview me – that person is connected with me on Facebook and noticed the announcement there on the weekend so I’m hoping she’ll do the same again this year.

I will write to our local newspaper and pre-prepare an article for them as in the past they have published stories I’ve sent them. I think perhaps they were just too busy to catch up with messages last year.

And I do have it in my email signature block already with a link to http://vadirectory.net/blog/2009/01/03/two-years-in-a-row-australian-of-the-year-nomination/

The other tips I’ll look at but to tell people how I got nominated – I can’t say. All I know is that I spend a lot of time helping others and along the line somewhere people felt they wanted to nominate me. I enjoy helping people so I guess it’s a way for them to give back :-)

Rachel Reeves
    • Total posts: 148
    Up

Congratulations Kathie, wow that’s fantastic news! You do so much and are very much deserving of the nomination for both 2008 and 2009.

kathiemt
    Up
    rachelr, post: 1437 wrote:
    Congratulations Kathie, wow that’s fantastic news! You do so much and are very much deserving of the nomination for both 2008 and 2009.

Thanks Rachel, that is so nice of you. When you enjoy doing something it doesn’t seem to be as hard to do.

Rachel Reeves
    • Total posts: 148
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 1439 wrote:
    Thanks Rachel, that is so nice of you. When you enjoy doing something it doesn’t seem to be as hard to do.

Just telling it as I see it :)

All the best in getting the word out there in view to win the “Australian of the Year Award” for 2009 Kathie. Leela has offered some really good suggestions.

Carole
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Congratulations, Kathie!
    You strike me as being a real go-getter.
    Carole

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 1435 wrote:
    The other tips I’ll look at but to tell people how I got nominated – I can’t say. All I know is that I spend a lot of time helping others and along the line somewhere people felt they wanted to nominate me. I enjoy helping people so I guess it’s a way for them to give back :-)

I think that would make a wonderful article … the benefits of giving back …

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

Congratulations Kathie. That is so exciting!

Don’t forget to send me something I can include in the magazine again ;)

Contact Claire Heaney from the Herald Sun, she may be interested, also the Light FM people – you already have contacts there…

Melissa

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Congratulations young lady.
    To give your time to others, helping them and mentoring them is apparently why we are here,but it takes special people to undertake these tasks, and though Im not a religious person as such our prays are for you success.
    Go for it
    What wonderful advise there is on this forum, Im sure the Flying Solo team had no idea that this forum would become such an important part of our day.

kathiemt
    Up
    MissieK, post: 1463 wrote:
    Congratulations Kathie. That is so exciting!

Don’t forget to send me something I can include in the magazine again ;)

Contact Claire Heaney from the Herald Sun, she may be interested, also the Light FM people – you already have contacts there…

Melissa

Thanks Melissa, I will send something to you. I didn’t know Claire is with the Herald Sun. Susie from LightFM has already been in touch – she saw it on Facebook. And in fact I have an interview with Clayton at the end of this month about my latest book – but that’s after the event.

kathiemt
    Up
    Burgo, post: 1464 wrote:
    Congratulations young lady.
    To give your time to others, helping them and mentoring them is apparently why we are here,but it takes special people to undertake these tasks, and though Im not a religious person as such our prays are for you success.
    Go for it
    What wonderful advise there is on this forum, Im sure the Flying Solo team had no idea that this forum would become such an important part of our day.

I love the ‘young lady’ bit. I must look younger than what I am :-D

I just enjoy sharing information and if that helps others, then that’s good. Thanks for the encouragement and yes, this is a great forum.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.