Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New Bookkeeping business needs clients

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jillian
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi there,
    I have just started a bookkeeping business and need some advise/help in getting clients. I have a website and am using google ad words but am not getting much of a response. I plan on emailing accountants in order to set up a relationship where they can recommend me to their clients but am not sure whether I will get much response from this.

I have found starting the business quite difficult. I am very experienced in bookkeeping and accounting but the marketing side of things is proving tough for me.

I would appreciate any help anyone has.

Thanks

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

sup jillian

would help if you “sell” yourself a little.

put your location and your contact details on here (especially in your signature) and you might get some hits.

short of this site, ask family and friends and get them to spread the word. im a stickler for social media so start subtly by updating your status accordingly (facebook especially)

otherwise, maybe start looking at your personal network. are you part of any clubs (sporting / interest groups)? belong to any organisations (church / volunteer)?

also, surely you would have some accounting contacts who may be able to point you in the right direction.

hope that gives you a little hand.

dEx

PS: welcome :)

Jillian
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Thanks for your reply. Yes I do need to “sell” myself a little, or a lot really. I just joined the site so will definitely updat my profile etc….

Sherise – Lime Marketing
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi Jillian,

Welcome to the community! First and foremost I think you have done a great thing by joining these forums and I’m sure you will meet some potential clients along the way.

Did you want to share your website so that we can all take a look at it?

Regarding the email you plan on sending to Accountants, while I don’t think it is a bad idea to get your name out to them, I think you would get a better result if you form a relationship with them first e.g. meeting them at a networking event or conference, connecting on LinkedIn, being introduced or referred from a current client etc. Forming strategic alliances is all about building relationships and trust so don’t be shy to get out there and start networking. Phoning instead of emailing is also likely to give you better results.

Other low cost suggestions I have for you are:

– Networking – get out to as many networking events as you can to start meeting people who could do with your service.

– LinkedIn – If you don’t already have a LinkedIn profile it might be an idea to get one. This is another way to network and to keep in contact with current clients and people you would like to turn into clients.

– Referrals – Apart from family and friends, focus on people who are referring your business and send some business their way as well. This will help you to establish a stronger relationship and build a flood of referrals.

I think you need to get really clear on what makes your business unique, and who your ideal clients are. Once you define these it will make it easier for you to know where to look for clients and help you to align with people who suit your personality.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Cheers,
    Sherise

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Jillian,

Can I suggest you join a bookkeeping group (if you have not already) and contact bookkeepers in your area, they may have work they can not take on.

I am a business consultant and always passing work to bookkeepers who introduce themselves to me & are local,

Cheers

KL Books & Admin
    • Total posts: 33
    Up
    Jillian, post: 94024 wrote:
    Hi there,
    I have just started a bookkeeping business and need some advise/help in getting clients. I have a website and am using google ad words but am not getting much of a response. I plan on emailing accountants in order to set up a relationship where they can recommend me to their clients but am not sure whether I will get much response from this.

I have found starting the business quite difficult. I am very experienced in bookkeeping and accounting but the marketing side of things is proving tough for me.

I would appreciate any help anyone has.

Thanks

Hi Jillian,

I started up my bookkeeping business a few years ago and like you, battled to get clients. I had sent emails and letters to local accountants and small business owners to no avail. My friends were very supportive in trying to pass work my way but it was minimal.

I went back to work in a local accounting firm for a couple of years but wasn’t really enjoying life. I decided to have another go at it as it’s something I love doing. (I’m a wiz with QuickBooks and love teaching it too!) I quit my job and went for it.

This time around, I was determined to make it work. Fortunately a friend introduced me to BNI. It’s the best thing I ever did. Since I joined BNI 12 months ago, my business has grown to the point where I have another qualified bookkeeper employed and we are currently looking for a trainee. :-)

Where are you located? I’m more than happy to help a fellow bookkeeper. There’s more than enough work out there for all of us. If you would like to know how to get in touch with your local BNI organisation (or want any further details), please feel free to drop me an email.

Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.