Home – New Forums Starting your journey New business idea and one thousand questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Newbusnewbie
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

I am starting a new business, offering a service of documenting operating procedures for small businesses. I have a thousand questions but the most pressing ones are around creating a term & conditions/ consultancy agreement. I have been searching for a generic one without any luck.

I would also like to know what basic priorities I should focus on first ie website etc as I am planning to initially work this around my current part-time job and want to be most efficient with my time.

Thanks!

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi there and welcome to Flying Solo,
    It’s an exciting and daunting stage you’re in.
    I’m not sure myself about the agreement template but perhaps one of our resident consultants might have some ideas soon.

Where to start is also a tricky question :) With a marketing background, I tend to think it’s important to start very early on getting very clear on who you are targeting (ideal customers), what value/services you provide (benefits) and what makes you different (differentiation), this then forms the core of your communications. But, many others will suggest looking at the business planning side of things of course!

There are a couple of Flying Solo member guides that might be of help on getting online, marketing, pricing and more.

Keep us posted!
    Cheers
    Peter

Newbusnewbie
    Up
    FS Administrator, post: 191485 wrote:
    Hi there and welcome to Flying Solo,
    It’s an exciting and daunting stage you’re in.
    I’m not sure myself about the agreement template but perhaps one of our resident consultants might have some ideas soon.

Where to start is also a tricky question :) With a marketing background, I tend to think it’s important to start very early on getting very clear on who you are targeting (ideal customers), what value/services you provide (benefits) and what makes you different (differentiation), this then forms the core of your communications. But, many others will suggest looking at the business planning side of things of course!

There are a couple of free Flying Solo member guides that might be of help on getting online, marketing, pricing and more.

Keep us posted!
    Cheers
    Peter

Hi Peter,

Nice to meet you! I’ve written (on a few bits of paper) my business plan – who I want to target, what I will and won’t do (procedure yes, policy no) how my service will work and what they can expect at the end. I have a tentative business name, no logo to letterhead etc but a friend of mine who is a business owner is going to let me cut my consulting teeth, so to speak, on her business first. then hopefully that will lead to word of mouth recommendations (already someone she knows is interested in chatting to me).

So i’m trying to work out what are the minimum things I need to kick things off. If you have any ideas, would live to hear them.

Thanks again!

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Sounds like you’re off to a good start with a friendly first client and potential referral!
    Even for an initially side business, I do think it’s worth getting a basic but professional looking website up, business email address and cards. This can be done for a low cost but can deliver a high perceived value for prospects. Especially when word of mouth starts at the beginning, one of the first things people will do will check you out online. Having said that, a really solid LinkedIn page can sometimes play that role.
    Look forward to hearing how it progresses!
    Cheers
    Peter

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Newbie, a good written business plan will help you to answer your own questions. Yes a website and email address are essential. A business card of course and perhaps a flyer on what you do. But theses days that has been replaced with a webpage. I LinkedIn page is a good idea, but knowing your target market is probably the best place to start as that will form the bases of the other things. Understanding exactly who they are will help you to structure everything else.

The best tip I can give you is drill down and identify this. And it may be more than one. In fact it should be more than one. You can’t be everything to everyone.

Once you have identified this, the next thing you need to do is to understand their problems which will also help you to develop a compelling message to use and the underling strategy.

I have always said, find out what the customer wants and give it to them.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi and welcome

Starting a business is such an exciting time and people get very busy with all the things, plans, website, cards etc.

As part of your plan you need to know how you are going to get business – Who will want what you have on offer and why will they want to pay for it?
    Friends will often say that they will use you and when it comes down to it they don’t or can’t so don’t be reliant on a flow on effect from one client.

Happy to help you in these areas and show you how to make the other bits fall into place.

ihatch
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

There is nothing better than seeing someone putting their plan into action.

It is great you have already chosen your target market. But make sure you do not leave this too broad.

The more you narrow down and hone in on your Target customer, the better your results will be.

Let us know how it goes. I am happy to help where I can.

Newbusnewbie
    Up
    ihatch, post: 191627 wrote:
    There is nothing better than seeing someone putting their plan into action.

It is great you have already chosen your target market. But make sure you do not leave this too broad.

The more you narrow down and hone in on your Target customer, the better your results will be.

Let us know how it goes. I am happy to help where I can.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. I have always been a stickler for documenting my work in any job I’ve been in, but my most recent position is a classic case of my favorite ‘being hit by a bus’ saying. A friend was in a fatal car accident (she survived but was in icu for 7 weeks) and was the right hand man for a small business owner- there were two of them who ran the business. I stepped in after she had been away for 5 weeks and in that time they had someone else try and fill the void. Needless to say, nothing was documented and it took me 8 weeks just to to catch up and work through the back log, before I could get a handle on how the business run and what part this role played in the organization.

I had always been a big believer in documentation, but had never been in a situation where there was none and try and figure out the jigsaw puzzle and deal with irate customers and the subsequent issues that created.

I have been sitting in the idea for the last 6 months, mulling over the viability/execution etc and believe that it is a service that smaller enterprises would welcome, because they don’t have the time/inclination/knowledge to put action to paper. I am only going to offer the service to document the procedure- and know that in most org’s this goes hand in hand – so my service may end up offering both but initially that is not the scope of service.

I want to work with the smaller businesses that rely heavily on a few key individuals to run the business and have the most to lose if some leaves/is injured or who has to leave suddenly for an extended length of time.

There are a lot of these businesses in the industrial area where I work, and in my local community, and I was thinking of creating a one page ‘flyer’ to approach these businesses and see what interest I get on the idea. A bit of market research in my local area.

If it is possible to chat to someone as an initial sounding board on my idea, I would really appreciate the time and any feedback or suggestions

Sorry for the long post!

ihatch
    Up
    Newbusnewbie, post: 191633 wrote:
    Hi, thanks for your feedback. I have always been a stickler for documenting my work in any job I’ve been in, but my most recent position is a classic case of my favorite ‘being hit by a bus’ saying. A friend was in a fatal car accident (she survived but was in icu for 7 weeks) and was the right hand man for a small business owner- there were two of them who ran the business. I stepped in after she had been away for 5 weeks and in that time they had someone else try and fill the void. Needless to say, nothing was documented and it took me 8 weeks just to to catch up and work through the back log, before I could get a handle on how the business run and what part this role played in the organization.

I had always been a big believer in documentation, but had never been in a situation where there was none and try and figure out the jigsaw puzzle and deal with irate customers and the subsequent issues that created.

I have been sitting in the idea for the last 6 months, mulling over the viability/execution etc and believe that it is a service that smaller enterprises would welcome, because they don’t have the time/inclination/knowledge to put action to paper. I am only going to offer the service to document the procedure- and know that in most org’s this goes hand in hand – so my service may end up offering both but initially that is not the scope of service.

I want to work with the smaller businesses that rely heavily on a few key individuals to run the business and have the most to lose if some leaves/is injured or who has to leave suddenly for an extended length of time.

There are a lot of these businesses in the industrial area where I work, and in my local community, and I was thinking of creating a one page ‘flyer’ to approach these businesses and see what interest I get on the idea. A bit of market research in my local area.

If it is possible to chat to someone as an initial sounding board on my idea, I would really appreciate the time and any feedback or suggestions

Sorry for the long post!

I would be happy to be your sounding board. It sounds like you have a great idea. Maybe I can help you get off to a great start.

Newbusnewbie
    Up
    ihatch, post: 191674 wrote:
    I would be happy to be your sounding board. It sounds like you have a great idea. Maybe I can help you get off to a great start.

That would be fabulous! Shall I shall PM you to arrange a time to chat?

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up
    Newbusnewbie, post: 191734 wrote:

Also happy to be a sounding board if you want to email me.

ihatch
    Up
    Newbusnewbie, post: 191734 wrote:

I have sent you a PM with my contact details.

Thanks
    Ian

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.