Home – New Forums New here? Share your story new business intro

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ProjectMan
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

hi all,
    I am very new into my own business – providing a lighting consultancy business for retail (review of drawings and plans for the placement of lights etc). I have my Public liability and professional indemnity insurance set up, have registered my business name and have started to network in my community of commercial suppliers, and design companies, the only thing I really need now is a business card designed, and some help on a website. Any ideas?

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi ProjectMan,

Welcome to the Flying Solo forums.

Sounds like an interesting expertise you have there, a real niche.

With regards the support you asked about, I suggest adding a post to the ‘need a resource?‘ section of the FS forum and having a browse of our directory.

Best of luck!

Sam

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi and welcome

There are plenty of resources here on Flying Solo and plenty of recommendations too so that you get the right help when you are getting started.

ITGeek
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi ProjectMan,

This place certainly has no shortage of web design and IT Geek talent! :)

My best advice at this point in time, is to not let any web designer talk you into using stock photography to show off lighting ideas, because potential customers can often see this and your website will immediately become cheaper and less effective in their eyes. This should only be a last resort.

I know you’re only starting in business (like myself), but do you have quality photographs of previous work that you had influenced? Being in the line of work that you are in, you’ll probably have a good eye for which photographs best show off your work and stimulate a potential client’s imagination.
    It’s so valuable to say that your website is a gallery of your previous achievements, rather than a representation of another’s, that you could emulate.

Secondly – your business card and website should share some design similarities (logo, colours, shapes), so that anyone who sees one, will at least partially recognize parts of the other in an instant.

Thirdly – even if you get a very simple website made (which won’t be as effective for search engine optimisation), you should consider asking for a “responsive website”, which will work well on smartphones and tablets, as well as on normal computers.

The interesting thing about Australians is that they are very keen on picking up on the latest smartphone technology and using it to browse the web to look for deals and solutions, but many businesses are still lagging behind in getting their websites ready for this (not so new anymore) trend.

It’s rich pickings for any quality web designer who can convince businesses that it’s important to respond to this trend.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi ProjectMan,

Let us know where you’re located – might help you find someone local who can help you out. :)

Dave

MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308
    Up

Cheap is not always good…. but…for business card design, you should at least look at fiverr.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.